To tell you 'fun window clings' are the work of the very devil?

(32 Posts)
TheGirlOnTheLanding Mon 26-Aug-13 14:10:43

DD persuaded me (against my better judgement) to let her put up said 'fun window cling' on her bedroom window (those gel stained glass effect decorations that stick to the window pane). It was an owl, she likes owls, it matched her duvet cover.

When we came back from our holiday we discovered that the unusually hot summery weather had melted the thing and the owl's eyes had slid down to it's tummy. Taking the owl remains off the window resulted in a sticky, snottery owl-shaped smear, which I managed to ignore for a couple of weeks, but decided I had to tackle today.

I have now spent the best part of a morning, most of yesterday's Observer, and half a bottle of vinegar mixed with hot water in a spray bottle and all I seem to have achieved is a pile of soggy newspaper, fingers indelibly stained with newsprint, a bedroom that smells like a chip shop and a smear that has spread to cover most of the bottom third of the window.

Could I pass it off as some kind of window frosting effect, do you think?

Oldraver Mon 26-Aug-13 21:00:44

Yes WD40 is a brilliant sticky stuff remover, but you have to use just a little... I oversprayed our little panes in the door after using cellotaping cards on...it took me age to get the WD40 off.

Ezza1 Mon 26-Aug-13 21:14:51

Forget all other suggestions. Lighter fluid is your friend here. (I don't mean set fire to it, just wipe over with a bit on a cloth grin )

Enelya Mon 26-Aug-13 21:27:34

If the above suggestions fail, we used heat to get old transfers off our windows. Depends how near your frames but a hair dryer or paint stripper is a good start.

Calabria Mon 26-Aug-13 22:17:53

I have some to tackle on my daughter's window. Complete with a flies' graveyard. <boak>

I shall try lighter fuel.

Nettymania Wed 28-Aug-13 20:12:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LittleMissGerardButlerfan Wed 28-Aug-13 20:17:53

You could always get a new window? <helpful>.

LondonInHighHeeledBoots Thu 29-Aug-13 08:00:32

scrape it off with a Stanley or razor blade them wipe over with lighter fluid, you would be amazed what that stuff shifts. acetone might also shift it, depends what is made of.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now