To be angry that the Special Olympics won't be televised?

(32 Posts)
borninastorm Mon 26-Aug-13 10:53:09

My big brother, who has learning difficulties, is competing at this year's Special Olympics in Bath this week.

He has told me that ITV and BBC will be there but I could find no scheduled tv coverage of the Games.

The Special Olympics team have told me the Games may be covered by the national news but that it's dependent on what other news happens.

So, AIBU to be really quite annoyed that neither BBC or ITV have scheduled proper national coverage of the Special Olypmpics and havent considered how motivating and inspiring these Games could be for viewers?

A link to the Special Olympics for anyone interested Special Olympics

vj32 Mon 26-Aug-13 18:39:53

There was World Para-swimming (sorry don't know what its proper title is) last week or the week before on C4, featuring a number of races with swimmers with learning disabilities. Britain did really well and won lots of medals. Maybe in comparison a national competition doesn't warrant national coverage. Agree about getting local coverage though.

manicinsomniac Mon 26-Aug-13 18:44:10

I've looked at the link and it seems to me like they just aren't enough of an event to warrant tv coverage.

Calling them special olympics made me think that they must be an alternative Paralympics that I hadn't heard of. But it is only for Britain and entry is free so I imagine most of those who are really interested will go.

I can understand why you personally are so interested (I know someone in the transplant games so have now become very interested in that though I wouldn't expect to see it on tv) but, for the casual viewer, I don't think these have got anything that the Paralympics doesn't have?

On a purely financial level, I can't see a big TV channel covering a minor event. I think viewing numbers for the 2012 Paralympics was about half that of the Olympics. I would guess that viewers of the world and national athletics championships are well under half that of the Paralympics. So viewing interest in what is essentially a special national championships is likely to be very low.

So I sympathise with your feelings but think YAB a bit U.
Maybe you could get a sky sports channel interested. I don't have sky but I assume they cover far more than the flagship events?

mrsjay Mon 26-Aug-13 18:46:43

it is usually on BBC2 well it used to be I have watched them although it is usually diluted into an hour or two programmes, Iwish your brother luck

BoyFromTheBigBadCity Wed 28-Aug-13 17:17:15

I regularly help out with training for the Special Olympic ski team, and will hopefully be going as a volunteer/ 'bunny' this winter to Pilar or Utah.

Worth noting that most of the coaches, carers, everyone in fact, are volunteers, who have to do huge amounts of fundraising for equipment and so on, on top of their regular jobs. It's hard work, ad some of the athlete are hard work, but at the end of the day when everyone gets their meddle at regional race days and sing we are the champions it's so worth it.

farrowandbawl Wed 28-Aug-13 17:27:28

Channel 4 have won the rights to cover the Paralympics in Rio, thanks to the coverage of the London Paralympics.

It's not going to help the OP's brother now but it's a start from what was pertty much nothing.

Good luck OP's brother.

nokidshere Wed 28-Aug-13 17:47:49

The local news will show some during the week as I understand it but that's bit as good as proper coverage.

I hope your brother does well OP - my DH is working to Iight and Friday at the ceremonies so we will also be trying to catch a glimpse of him on the limited coverage,.

nokidshere Wed 28-Aug-13 17:48:29

Tch bit should be not!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now