...to ask what on earth mansplaining is?

(87 Posts)
UneBelleCerise Mon 26-Aug-13 09:36:08

WHAT IS IT!?!?!

BoneyBackJefferson Tue 27-Aug-13 12:23:00

limited

I'm always amazed at how many skits and sketches are reflective of how life truly is.

Or maybe its just that we (the royal we) don't see something until we can laugh at it.

limitedperiodonly Tue 27-Aug-13 11:24:36

I've seen it boney. And this little ego trip for the feminists

BoneyBackJefferson Tue 27-Aug-13 11:03:05

I am reminded of the following from the film The birdcage.

"Albert: Never mind about my feelings. Never mind about my suffering. It’s just about your show. Not even our show. Your show. I want a palimony agreement, and I want it now.

Armand: I don’t have a palimony agreement right on me now. Is tomorrow all right?

Albert: Don’t use that tone to me.

Armand: What tone?

Albert: The sarcastic and contemptuous tone that implies you know everything because you’re a man, and I know nothing because I’m a woman."

It only works if you know/have seen the film.

SabrinaMulhollandJjones Tue 27-Aug-13 01:16:40
Technotropic Tue 27-Aug-13 00:40:14
Technotropic Tue 27-Aug-13 00:30:54

Morloth

Your FIL must be related to my MIL as she loves to tell everyone how everything works and especially how to raise our kids. She's also a topper so your experiences are never as real as hers, which are usually of greater significance anyway.

IMHO this isn't a sex thing as it happens equally between men and women. I have friends that tell their husbands how to use appliances, how to feed their children (oh yes, you stick food in their mouths) and how to put shopping into bags (seriously).

Funnily enough I never heard of mansplaining till I came here and mainly from FWR. When such topics spread over here I read a lot of Femsplaining as there are many women that seemingly get it wrong. There was a thread on here not so long ago where people were saying that they didn't
identify with feminism but they all got it wrong and had misinterpreted everything hmm.

Morloth Tue 27-Aug-13 00:09:37

My FIL 'FILsplains'.

It isn't because he is a man, and he doesn't think he knows everything.

I think he just assumes no-one else knows anything so he had better tell them...

FairPhyllis Mon 26-Aug-13 23:59:31

OP here is Rebecca Solnit's account of being lectured on the book ^she^ wrote by a guy who had never even read it. You have to scroll down a little for the essay: it's called 'Men Explain Things To Me'.

UneBelleCerise Mon 26-Aug-13 23:06:02

Thanks all for the replies! I finally understand smile

katieinthesunshine Mon 26-Aug-13 22:19:22

Mansplaining is a hilarious concept that's been making me laugh ever since I found this blog

http://mansplained.tumblr.com/

The poster who said "it's when a man explains the stunningly absolutely fucking obvious to you. On account of how he is a man so he needs to give a longwinded patronising explanation. You as the little woman obvs are too thick/too insensitive/whatever to actually to understand the issue" got it spot on!"

It can be hard to distinguish mansplaining from men who just like explaining things to people but I think when the explanation is staggeringly patronising and you realise there's really not another explanation for the man assuming you're completely thick other than the fact you're a little woman. Usually mansplainers are serial offenders and always to women which makes it easier to identify. It's just the tendency among a minority of men to assume women, particularly young women, are thick and incompetent...helped along by many men's love of explaiing things to women. Thankfully mansplaning is confined to an unfortunate minority of men.

When you read about it you realise just how often it happens! Last month a repairman at work tried to tell me how to turn a freezer on- as in, he actually said he'd come back and turn it on for me in a minute, I thought I'd misunderstood, but no, he actually came and showed me how to turn a plug on at a wall. Does that sort of thing happen to men, does it fuck.

Last week chatting about the next day's walk in a country park my mother's partner felt the need to tell me I should make sure to wear trainers or hiking boots in the countryside and also maybe a cagoule. Thanks.

A colleague in my biochemistry lab with whom I'd worked for years felt the need to explain to me what a compound was..which is like explaining to another lawyer what litigation is.

I find this concept explains alot. Yes, explaining dilution was a favourite from the mainsplained tumblr.

edam Mon 26-Aug-13 20:40:44

I suppose that's one way to get a date, sigmund. grin Way I'm going, I'll be able to find out only too soon!

limitedperiodonly Mon 26-Aug-13 20:07:42

I'm glad to have been of service tiggyd.

Is Dadsnet calling? Don't let me keep you.

SigmundFraude Mon 26-Aug-13 20:03:59

'I'm now imagining Sigmund being so (literally) massive that several men cannot escape her gravitational pull and are stuck to her like helpless remora fish.'

grin

TiggyD Mon 26-Aug-13 20:00:24

Back to the Dadsnet shed lads? It's Battenburg o'clock!

edam Mon 26-Aug-13 19:57:21

Thanks for putting us all right Pan - thank goodness a man turned up to tell us where we were going wrong! grin

(Would be funny if it didn't happen all the fecking time...)

TiggyD Mon 26-Aug-13 19:55:11

"Then I feel for the men in your orbit, and also for you."

I'm now imagining Sigmund being so (literally) massive that several men cannot escape her gravitational pull and are stuck to her like helpless remora fish.

BOF Mon 26-Aug-13 19:51:59

grin

Pan Mon 26-Aug-13 19:51:32

Well maybe BOF..smile

BOF Mon 26-Aug-13 19:50:12

You so weren't smile, Pan. You were shitting your ears off with rage. I was grin.

Shame about UQD, I liked him.

Pan Mon 26-Aug-13 19:42:42

I was rather smile at being accused of 'pansplaining' once. Which was nice.

yep I've only heard it round these parts ( it mightily pissed UQD off) and yep it's used to be used to negate any contribution that a male would offer that wasn't with the prevailing, supported idea. It all got a bit silly, and I hope that puts you all right.grin

SigmundFraude Mon 26-Aug-13 19:32:38

I know Travelin, between you and me, that probably is the case, but I splain away regardless!

True 'womansplaining' would surely be if you didn't know more than them, but you were still correcting them / talking over them / making your point over theirs.

SigmundFraude Mon 26-Aug-13 19:26:11

'Then I feel for the men in your orbit, and also for you.'

No need, they're still entranced.

'You may reject my analysis. That's the beauty and tragedy of a free country.'

I hear ya.

limitedperiodonly Mon 26-Aug-13 19:22:37

What, for womansplaining? Well I probably DO know more than they (men) do, so I can't help it.

Then I feel for the men in your orbit, and also for you.

You may reject my analysis. That's the beauty and tragedy of a free country.

SigmundFraude Mon 26-Aug-13 19:16:40

'So what's your excuse?'

What, for womansplaining? Well I probably DO know more than they (men) do, so I can't help it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now