...to ask what on earth mansplaining is?

(87 Posts)
UneBelleCerise Mon 26-Aug-13 09:36:08

WHAT IS IT!?!?!

SabrinaMulhollandJjones Mon 26-Aug-13 17:57:23

Feminists are needed over there, lots have been chased away by the tiresome hairy-handed bridge dwellers.

limitedperiodonly Mon 26-Aug-13 17:58:17

I do get your point LondonMan. I get fed up with 'typical man' posts too.

There is a particular poster who thinks she has a special insight into the male mind because she has brothers and house-shared with some blokes.

She manages to be patronising to both men and women.

But I do think it's more of an irritant for women than men. I would say that, being a woman, wouldn't I? wink

BTW I agreed with you on a recent driving thread and was mansplained to by a couple of male posters who gave me a right ticking off, whereas you got off scot-free for expressing the same views. You bastard wink

limitedperiodonly Mon 26-Aug-13 17:59:32

Oh and sabrina, if it wouldn't be stirring, could you link to that thread? I could do with a laugh.

limitedperiodonly Mon 26-Aug-13 18:04:59

Sorry sabrina, I mixed you up with sassh.

limitedperiodonly Mon 26-Aug-13 18:08:34

Also, female defenders of mansplainers get called handmaidens, which annoys them, but generally I find if the cap fits...

BoneyBackJefferson Mon 26-Aug-13 18:13:01

limitedperiodonly

"But I do think it's more of an irritant for women than men"

I suspect that you are correct.

but handmaidens, mansplaining, MRA, rape apologist etc. all lose the "power" that they have when they are incorrectly used.

Most of the time that I see them they are just used to shut people out of a thread.

SigmundFraude Mon 26-Aug-13 18:23:03

Women 'womansplain' to men a lot. God knows I do it, and I've seen other women do it (very often telling men about their perceived insatiable sex drives, or their ability to parent children) but that's allowed because we're the oppressed class or something, and we can do no wrong.

limitedperiodonly Mon 26-Aug-13 18:49:51

There is such a thing as being part of an oppressed group, whether it's gender, sexual orientation, race or class, that gives you a special insight into the handicaps of that group.

I don't think it should be used to say that as an oppressed group, women can do no wrong, but I have no control over what other women think, and nor would I wish to have it.

That goes for women who say prejudice against us doesn't exist, or that it does but they would like to fight against it on their own with no help from the rest of us - male or female.

How far you want to be defined by being a member of an oppressed group - all the way, not at all or somewhere in between - is up to you. But there's no denying it.

Well, there is for some people. But I believe they are wrong and I am entitled to my opinion. I also don't understand what makes them so passionate about sticking up for an overwhelmingly privileged group against what amounts to mostly ineffectual barbs. Can you explain what drives you sigmund? I'd really like to know.

BTW I hope I don't womansplain, but if I did, I wouldn't argue about being pulled up on it. I'd probably be grateful; albeit ashamed and a bit pissed off at being caught being a bit of a git.

Because it's bigotry, isn't it, no matter whose mouth it comes out of?

limitedperiodonly Mon 26-Aug-13 18:54:02

Ooh, and there I am talking about handicaps and I forgot to mention to mention people with disabilities.

There are lots of people who get the shit end of the stick. It's not wrong for them to point it out but I can see why it's quite uncomfortable for others.

SigmundFraude Mon 26-Aug-13 19:05:58

'Can you explain what drives you sigmund? I'd really like to know.'

I'm not some super unusual 'other' you know, I'm very ordinary, I just have a different view to you. I heart the Patriachy.

'BTW I hope I don't womansplain, but if I did, I wouldn't argue about being pulled up on it.'

Yeah, you probably would.

BOF Mon 26-Aug-13 19:11:42

I find it very disappointing when women jockey for position with a version of Uncle Tomming all over FWR. I understand why they do it (I think), but it still irritates me.

limitedperiodonly Mon 26-Aug-13 19:14:07

Yeah, you probably would.

No, I wouldn't. But as I said, I'd kick myself for being called.

So what's your excuse?

SigmundFraude Mon 26-Aug-13 19:16:40

'So what's your excuse?'

What, for womansplaining? Well I probably DO know more than they (men) do, so I can't help it.

limitedperiodonly Mon 26-Aug-13 19:22:37

What, for womansplaining? Well I probably DO know more than they (men) do, so I can't help it.

Then I feel for the men in your orbit, and also for you.

You may reject my analysis. That's the beauty and tragedy of a free country.

SigmundFraude Mon 26-Aug-13 19:26:11

'Then I feel for the men in your orbit, and also for you.'

No need, they're still entranced.

'You may reject my analysis. That's the beauty and tragedy of a free country.'

I hear ya.

True 'womansplaining' would surely be if you didn't know more than them, but you were still correcting them / talking over them / making your point over theirs.

SigmundFraude Mon 26-Aug-13 19:32:38

I know Travelin, between you and me, that probably is the case, but I splain away regardless!

Pan Mon 26-Aug-13 19:42:42

I was rather smile at being accused of 'pansplaining' once. Which was nice.

yep I've only heard it round these parts ( it mightily pissed UQD off) and yep it's used to be used to negate any contribution that a male would offer that wasn't with the prevailing, supported idea. It all got a bit silly, and I hope that puts you all right.grin

BOF Mon 26-Aug-13 19:50:12

You so weren't smile, Pan. You were shitting your ears off with rage. I was grin.

Shame about UQD, I liked him.

Pan Mon 26-Aug-13 19:51:32

Well maybe BOF..smile

BOF Mon 26-Aug-13 19:51:59

grin

TiggyD Mon 26-Aug-13 19:55:11

"Then I feel for the men in your orbit, and also for you."

I'm now imagining Sigmund being so (literally) massive that several men cannot escape her gravitational pull and are stuck to her like helpless remora fish.

edam Mon 26-Aug-13 19:57:21

Thanks for putting us all right Pan - thank goodness a man turned up to tell us where we were going wrong! grin

(Would be funny if it didn't happen all the fecking time...)

TiggyD Mon 26-Aug-13 20:00:24

Back to the Dadsnet shed lads? It's Battenburg o'clock!

SigmundFraude Mon 26-Aug-13 20:03:59

'I'm now imagining Sigmund being so (literally) massive that several men cannot escape her gravitational pull and are stuck to her like helpless remora fish.'

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now