...to ask what on earth mansplaining is?

(87 Posts)
UneBelleCerise Mon 26-Aug-13 09:36:08

WHAT IS IT!?!?!

pianodoodle Mon 26-Aug-13 12:32:49

Is it the same as when the guy looking at my car doesn't tell me properly what's wrong with it because he assumes I won't understand?

BoneyBackJefferson Mon 26-Aug-13 12:55:45

SoupDragon has it nailed.

Numberlock Mon 26-Aug-13 13:01:59

www.independent.co.uk/voices/commentators/arabella-weir-the-invisible-woman-and-other-tales-of-the-workplace-399910.html

Elsiequadrille Mon 26-Aug-13 13:02:58

I heard it for the first time on the (now deleted) AARSE thread.

Latara Mon 26-Aug-13 13:41:58

I always thought 'Mansplaining' is where a person explains something to a man in a certain way so that man can understand clearly.

Now I know differently!

Didactylos Mon 26-Aug-13 13:48:18

its when a man explains something to you in a manner suggesting you are a 7 yr old without any possible practical experience or knowledge in the area concerned, or trying to explain to you something from your own life or past as though you could have no understanding of it unless they interpret it for you.

I think the phrase came from one of this womans essays.
articles.latimes.com/2008/apr/13/opinion/op-solnit13

geekgal Mon 26-Aug-13 13:49:53

Brilliant link numberlock, ironically I forgot about the invisible woman!

SabrinaMulhollandJjones Mon 26-Aug-13 13:56:47

LookingThroughTheFog, that has happened here to on a thread about unwanted sexual advances. As we know from threads here - women with no experiences to share on this topic are few and far between...Only to be told by a resident mansplainer that we were all being far too sensitive, and that he doesn't know anyone that has ever been sexually assaulted, and that as his mother knew how to fend off unwanted sexual advances, so should we. Oh and something about no relationships beginning at all, and the human race dying out if men stop making unwanted sexual advances to women. hmm

LookingThroughTheFog Mon 26-Aug-13 14:26:28

That's made me laugh wryly, Sabrina.

Coming back to the point above with the 'I'd be allowed to say it if I just had a vagina!' comments; is that really true? If a woman had come along and said 'but there is no unwanted sexual attention; you're all being far too uptight!' would that be acceptable then?

I don't think so.

Would it still be mansplaining? Or would it just be jerkish? I have to admit, occasionally I see women doing things that I'd vaguely consider to be mansplaining. Certainly Louise Mensch is springing to mind here, but I can't remember anything specific, so I might have got her confused with any one of a number of others.

In these cases, the sense of the comments tends to be obsequious flattering to men. 'But all these women are clearly wrong! I know completely what you mean, and you're so right! I really do think us girlies should learn to dress modestly, because obviously a man can't be expected to resist! I've never been followed down a dark alleyway ever, which just goes to show...'

sashh Mon 26-Aug-13 14:33:57

I can't remember the real names or the topic but here's the gist of an example

Woman A and Woman B are discussing woman A's research into subject X.

Man C interrupts and tells woman A he has just read this fantastic book on subject X and she should read it. She says not only has she read it but she actually wrote it.

Man C ignores her and continues to say how fantastic the book is and starts citing particular chapters.

Woman B points out that woman A wrote the book.

Man C still doesn't hear either woman and continues until women A and B eventually get him to hear the words "I/she wrote that book", at which point man C splutters, cannot believe it and wanders off.

Man C was mansplaining to A and B.

Lweji Mon 26-Aug-13 15:07:31

I always thought 'Mansplaining' is where a person explains something to a man in a certain way so that man can understand clearly.

I would have thought so too.

Although I get the point of the actual meaning.

But I think it could be applicable either way, depending on context.

LondonMan Mon 26-Aug-13 15:27:45

Can also be used to describe the situation when a woman says she thinks X, and then a bloke tells her what she really thinks is Y. Thank god you were here bloke, or I would never have known what it was I was really thinking

Ha! I've participated in exactly this type of conversation, except the sexes were reversed. Not only did she tell me what I "really thought" (as opposed to what I'd just said) but she proceeded to heap screaming abuse on me for what she said I thought.

(TBH I think she had mental health issues: usually she was lovely, but the most innocuous remark from me could randomly set her off. I think her brain went into some sort of positive feedback loop where a random thought or memory at several removes from my remark would trigger a smidgen of anger, to which the appropriate response was for some reason more anger, and so on. From remark to complete melt-down happened in five seconds, and if you paid attention you could see it coming because all the blood would drain from her face and her features would change.)

Lazyjaney Mon 26-Aug-13 15:39:51

I've only ever seen it used by MN Feminists, it normally refers to being told something they don't want to hear.

FrigginRexManningDay Mon 26-Aug-13 15:45:59

Are we having an invasion? Have they ventured beyond FWR?

TiggyD Mon 26-Aug-13 15:48:28

It does get used as a generic put-down for one half of the population quite a bit IMO.

TiggyD Mon 26-Aug-13 15:53:21

"Are we having an invasion? Have they ventured beyond FWR?"

You sound like a worried elf.

FrigginRexManningDay Mon 26-Aug-13 15:56:47

Nope not worried.

TiggyD Mon 26-Aug-13 16:00:32

Why? Do you have a protective amulet of some kind?

FrigginRexManningDay Mon 26-Aug-13 16:02:08

Nope but that would be really cool.

LookingThroughTheFog Mon 26-Aug-13 17:21:46

FWR?

SabrinaMulhollandJjones Mon 26-Aug-13 17:39:17

FWR

We needed protective amulets over there at the weekend... but MNHQ sorted it instead with the big red button wink

LookingThroughTheFog Mon 26-Aug-13 17:42:43

Ah. Ta.

piratecat Mon 26-Aug-13 17:42:51

my mother does alot of mansplaining.

BoneyBackJefferson Mon 26-Aug-13 17:46:30

its the feminist word for a man being patronising to a woman, and also to shut a male out of a thread.

LookingThroughTheFog Mon 26-Aug-13 17:47:26

I may have found my spiritual home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now