to take my 4yo DD to Slimming WOrld with me?

(86 Posts)

I want to rejoin, but I'm not sure whether it is ok to take a 4yo with me. The consultant won't mind, and there is a play area but am I sending out the wrong signals to DD about weight or am I overthinking it?

RedHelenB Mon 26-Aug-13 09:13:17

overthinking it!

maybe3x Mon 26-Aug-13 09:15:13

I haven't needed to take mine with me but they know that I go, I explain that it's a healthy eating class to learn more about being healthy and getting fit, nothing wrong with that Imo.

quesadilla Mon 26-Aug-13 09:15:18

I wouldn't. I don't know what your circumstances are but I think it's ok for you to do it but I think exposing a small child to this culture is not a great idea. Can you not leave her with someone else?

Tee2072 Mon 26-Aug-13 09:15:19

Overthinking it!

Tee2072 Mon 26-Aug-13 09:17:13

What culture? The culture of eating better?

Meglet Mon 26-Aug-13 09:18:35

I wouldn't. The last thing you need is a child hearing about weight loss / diets etc.

Ladymuck Mon 26-Aug-13 09:19:31

Overthinking it.

TheCunnyFunt Mon 26-Aug-13 09:19:53

It'd be fine, my mum used to take me and I'm not scarred for life.

Sirzy Mon 26-Aug-13 09:20:00

What culture? The culture of eating better?

The culture of being obsessed with weight loss and the figures on the scale I would imagine.

Tee2072 Mon 26-Aug-13 09:20:50

Well, the only way to avoid that culture, Sirzy, is to lock the child up in a cupboard for the rest of her life.

Sirzy Mon 26-Aug-13 09:22:30

Maybe so. Personally I would happily take a child but can understand why some people wouldn't want to for that reason, it isn't necessarily the best healthy eating message to give to young children.

No-one leave to leave her with, I could join in 2 weeks when she is in school just woke up motivated this morning! Oooh, decisions, decisions! I know that in 2 weeks I won't do it sad

I take my 7yo ds with me in the holidays, it's no biggie.

LegoAcupuncture Mon 26-Aug-13 09:25:40

Just take her. Chances are she will be playing in the play area and won't price. You don't have to stop for the meeting, just get weighed, get the bunf and leave.

Right, biting the bullet!

Thanks for the comments, seems that most people think I'm overthinking it.

ComtesseDeSpair Mon 26-Aug-13 09:28:08

The culture of being obsessed with weight loss and the figures on the scale I would imagine.

This. I know Slimming World is supposed to be all about changing your eating habits and attitude to food, but it's still ultimately a weight loss club which focuses on 'good' food and 'bad' food (so-called Syns), standing on the scales and having a certain body shape. I don't think it's an ideal atmosphere for young children, especially girls, to be in - surrounded by a load of women desperate not to be fat and talking about calories and their weight.

Is the play area separate from the class? In an entirely different room where DD won't be able to hear the group? If so then in the absence of other childcare I think you could probably just tell her it's a group to learn about recipes and nice food or something.

Hegsy Mon 26-Aug-13 09:30:10

Overthinking it......if she's in the play area will she even notice what you're talking about?

ChippingInNeedsSleepAndCoffee Mon 26-Aug-13 09:31:05

I have splinters on this one smile However, if it's only for a couple of sessions then she will be at school, then GO this morning. A couple of SW meetings isn't going to have any impact on her at all - especially if there are other kids & toys and she's really not focussed on what the grown ups are doing and it will benefit you a lot.

Or I can convert you to low carbing and you can join us on the Bootcamp threads from the comfort of your sofa grin

moustachio Mon 26-Aug-13 09:34:12

I wouldn't. Its a very grown up environemnt . I go to weight watchers myself and its not the chat I'd like my DS hearing!

Watch 'the men who made us thin' first. Then make your decision. It's on the iPlayer. The statistics on success are truly shocking.

TallulahBetty Mon 26-Aug-13 09:38:33

I would. I do Slimming World and it is NOT a diet - it is healthy eating for life.

racingheart Mon 26-Aug-13 09:40:12

I wouldn't. Slimming World is one of the saner diet regimes, but still all this stuff about syns and all the obsessions in the discussion groups - it's not a healthy atmosphere. If you want her to have a really healthy attitude to eating and health - run around the park with her for two weeks, eat healthy food and once she's in school, join SW. Already warning bells that unless you can do it now, with DD, which you have reservations about, then you won't do it at all. That's a lot of pressure you're transferring to her. Don't care who thinks this is overthinking - children pick up on the subtlest messages.

Maybe as a one off, but not as a regular thing, my mum was permanently on a diet when I was younger and I'm sure it has affected the way I think about food. Whenever I try and lose weight I do it without saying anything in front of the DCs. I don't think you're overthinking it at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now