To think apologising for spelling mistakes in a post is over the top

(43 Posts)
Honkyponk Sun 25-Aug-13 14:46:28

We're all on phones, gadgets, laptops and the like. We might be typing and feeding a bub with the other hand. Lets hope no one is driving and typing...... But please, AIBU to think that no one cares if you get some letters wrong or do a typo. Stop clogging up threads with apologies.

usualsuspect Sun 25-Aug-13 21:53:28

I've only ever corrected someones spelling on here once.

She insulted me with 'your a belend'

AnyoneButLulu Sun 25-Aug-13 21:55:30

Yes Limited, I'd never venture to correct someone IRL because the best case outcome is that mingled thanks-but-you're-a-twat emotion, but on the Internet it really doesn't matter, in half an hour's time they'll have forgotten who the bitch was who corrected them but the knowledge will still be there.

usualsuspect Sun 25-Aug-13 21:57:48

Trust me they won't forget.

JaquelineHyde Sun 25-Aug-13 22:01:16

What is this 'bub' you speak of and should I be feeding it anything special?

Is this an MN thing like the scarf and the haircut or naice ham?

dyslexicdespot Sun 25-Aug-13 22:07:37

At the risk of sounding like a broken record- it is incredibly rude and passive aggressive to correct the spelling of another adult.

Everyone should be able to participate in a public forum (regardless of potential disabilities poor typing, grammar or having English as an additional language) without being ridiculed for something that they might not be able to help.

If you are unable to read a post because of the OP poor spelling, move on!

usualsuspect Sun 25-Aug-13 22:10:44

It is rude, and I don't for now minute think that posters correct others spellings for 'their own good'

They do it to score points most of the time.

limitedperiodonly Sun 25-Aug-13 22:14:33

I definitely do it to score points.

'your a belend' would be triple word score grin

dyslexicdespot Sun 25-Aug-13 22:15:26

Yup, too true unusualsuspect.

Petty small minded, nasty behaviour that perpetuates the ridiculous myth that being able to spell 'correctly' is somehow synonymous with being intelligent.

Vivacia Sun 25-Aug-13 22:17:50

Three things bug me. Firstly, using "advice" and "advise" wrong. Secondly, using "ect" when they mean "etc" and thirdly, wrongly used question marks. For example, "help me decide whether to LTB?".

Some psoters think that they will be perceived as inferior if they can't spell.

Really, some of us can't be arsed to type proper.

valiumredhead Sun 25-Aug-13 22:21:06

I agree OP!

dyslexicdespot Sun 25-Aug-13 22:21:43

This might help Vivacia:

The British Dyslexia Ass

internationallove985 Sun 25-Aug-13 22:25:02

I always apologise for spelling mistakes. I'd rather do that then a fellow poster point it out. xx

catham Sun 25-Aug-13 22:28:10

i do think we need a quick edit function, i sometimes make silly mistakes like say of instead of is and it's just that i'm typing so fast, previewing just takes my thoughts away and i wonder if i should post at all. just hitting post message is much more fun

dyslexicdespot Sun 25-Aug-13 22:28:42
acer12 Sun 25-Aug-13 22:33:52

The thing is with spelling mistakes snd the like is if your having a heated discussion, certain posters mock spelling and grammer and belittles the poster that way.

It very fucks me off!

AnyoneButLulu Sun 25-Aug-13 23:38:44

I definitely agree that there are more corrections than there is any reasonable justification for - the possibly justifiable "you are clearly a very literate person who has never seen that particular phrase written down and may welcome being informed" cases are vanishingly rare.

I haven't actually seen any of the "I dislike this person's argument therefore I'm going to slate their typing" examples for ages though - maybe I'm just staying away from the threads that kick off.

And on the bright side, if you consider the thousands of typos/SPAG errors made each day and the thousands of posters who see each one, the number that actually result in someone getting arsey are tiny - it makes the SPAG police literally one in a million.

Vivacia Mon 26-Aug-13 12:15:15

Absolutely acer and I agree with AnyoneBut that thankfully you don't get much of that.

Thank you for the links dyslexicdespot and I get your point, which is why I never comment when I see these mistakes.

I think people write their corrections as a knee-jerk reaction to seeing their mistake pop up on the screen. You've posted your correction before thinking about it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now