Would it bother you if your 8 - 10 year old none sailor was put on the sea in a sailing boat with no adult in boat?

(47 Posts)
ourlittlestreet Sat 24-Aug-13 00:06:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ourlittlestreet Sat 24-Aug-13 08:56:01

LIZS Sat 24-Aug-13 08:57:13

Presumably they were accompanied if staff on hand to assist , so that is normal ime. ds is under 16 but qualified to take beginners out. I would have expected them to have asked the adults about their sailing experience and swimming competency first though.

ourlittlestreet Sat 24-Aug-13 09:26:51

PGRated Sat 24-Aug-13 09:33:26

If they had no instruction I would of said something! I've seen some very experienced sailors (in the sea cadets) get injured on the water due to the wind changing so I'm not sure that could be avoided but they should of been told that it could happen and told how to follow the sailing instructor.

cory Sat 24-Aug-13 09:36:20

Depends on all sorts of things.

When we holiday in Sweden (sheltered inlet, no strong currents), the usual family method is to send non-sailing child out with slightly older sailing cousin in v. small dinghy. This is the only way it can be taught as the dinghy is really on the small side to accommodate an adult. But then we are dealing with known factors: non-sailing child is used to water, sailing child is known to actually be able to sail (and has had capsizing training).

When I did a sailing course as a pre-teen (also in Sweden) we were sent out 3 children/boat. But that was after several hours of intensive theory designed to ensure that we understood what would actually happen if you turned the tiller this way or that. And the minimum requirement to get on the course was that you could swim 200 metres.

What you describe sounds less convincing and I wouldn't be happy with the sloppy way of ascertaining children's actual competence: they should have asked an adult.

Though to be fair I would never judge the safety of a Mediterranean (or Scandinavian) programme from what people would do in (notoriously unsafe) British waters- very, very different.

LIZS Sat 24-Aug-13 09:45:15

Sorry but it still sounds perfectly normal for a sailing session. The more competent children may have needed more hands-on input and to demonstrate skills to the instructor for the next level certificate. Sailing is a practical activity that you learn through trial and error, as long as safety procedures were followed then I suspect you aren't being realistic about the nature of the sport. dc have learned on a manmade lake and done same , also been to Lake Garda and was same. ds has been hit by the boom and it wasn't due to being unfastened that is simply an occupational hazard. Very unfortunate that your dd didn't cope well and may have been put off though.

ourlittlestreet Sat 24-Aug-13 09:59:49

cory Sat 24-Aug-13 10:10:13

Ime normal would be to make sure either that one child/boat does know how to sail or to explain the principles of sailing to the whole group.

Sailing is indeed a hands-on experience, like horse-riding or bike-riding, but you wouldn't put somebody on a horse without explaining the basic stuff about how to use the reins and your legs to guide the horse.

Minimum explanations for sailing should include:

how do I see where the wind is blowing from?

what are the sheets for and how do I work them?

which way does the boat go if I turn the tiller this way?

how do I keep at the best angle from the wind to ensure that the boat keeps moving?

what happens if I move too close to the wind?

what happens if I move too far away from the wind?

The explanations should also include the information that capsizing is a fairly normal event in a small boat (like falling off a horse) and instructions as to what you do when it happens.

curlew Sat 24-Aug-13 10:20:12

There doesn't need to be an adult per boat, obviously, but 3 beginner 8 year olds in a Pico- I wouldn't do that.

ourlittlestreet Sat 24-Aug-13 10:22:25

LIZS Sat 24-Aug-13 10:31:20

Did you watch the session ? Sounds like they may have been mislead by the child saying they had sailed before (and sometimes parents can exaggerate this too) but perhaps the activity leader should have reacted to the problems in their boat. How long did they last ?

AugustaCarp Sat 24-Aug-13 10:35:19

Oh god, don't say it's Lemnos...going on Saturday...!

ourlittlestreet Sat 24-Aug-13 10:49:02

Smoorikins Sat 24-Aug-13 10:49:31

Oh, from your op it sounded like they were given instruction prior to getting in the boats. I take it that bit was purely referring to other activities? It wasn't clear.

I'm dine with the no adult thing, but there needed to be clear guidance in advance of getting in the water.

Smoorikins Sat 24-Aug-13 10:50:31

Fine, not dine!

LIZS Sat 24-Aug-13 10:55:54

so realistically they may not have even got into a position to have any instruction ? If dd had already been windsurfing etc how come she didn't realise it was shallow enough to stand?

ourlittlestreet Sat 24-Aug-13 10:56:10

Rooners Sat 24-Aug-13 10:58:45

Based on the OP, no, I'd be horrified.

Lazyjaney Sat 24-Aug-13 11:01:39

We've been doing Med sailing holidays with kids clubs for years. Sticking 3 kids in Picos is bog standard, they sail just off the beach in shallow, warm, clear non tidal water, its like being in a big swimming pool.

They all have lifejackets on. There will be an instructor on one boat and a rescue boat hovering. They are typically given some instructions before they go out. The instructor leads them around a tiny course right near the shore like duckilngs, shouting at them to do what she does. It is totally safe.

Totally different scenario to putting kids in cold tidal UK sea waters. I wouldn't do that either at 8 with no sailing ability.

The boats capsize, occasionally boats hit each other but they are totally depowered and really are just plastic dodgems, and the kids have a blast. It is truly messing about on boats, the occasional collision is all part of it.

LIZS Sat 24-Aug-13 11:01:50

Had you told the leader of that activity about her SN. btw ds is dyspraxic and loves sailing, it has been really good for his upper body strength and coordination and is social.

ourlittlestreet Sat 24-Aug-13 11:02:12

ourlittlestreet Sat 24-Aug-13 11:06:17

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now