Would it bother you if your 8 - 10 year old none sailor was put on the sea in a sailing boat with no adult in boat?

(47 Posts)
ourlittlestreet Sat 24-Aug-13 00:06:52

Recently came back from a holiday, kids club also did water activities but was gearing up according to brochure for complete beginners, she has sen and i even checked this was ok for her to join in I told yes.

Anyway we had a couple of prior issues but mostly ok, dd had done wobble boarding and windsurfing and they had been in the swimming area in a shallow bit roped off surrounded by nannies and very safe with lots of instruction of how to use it. As the other activities had been done so safely I was not worried.

When they were taken onto the water three of them were put into a Pica boat and asked if they could sail, in the way children do one of the eight year olds said yes and so they were sent on the sea with no adult in the boat, this was in kids club so I wasn't there.

Within minutes they had span the boat round and capsized, not an issue and part of the fun of learning to sail. However several minutes later they went back out again and part of the sail which had not been fastened on properly by the adults had fell off meaning the children were stranded with no sail. They were hit by another boat of children (my daughter was hit in the face) the children were rescued by the rescue boat from the water (two of them crying) and taken back to shore.

I was made to feel that my expectations of adult in a boat on the sea (rather than a lake where i would not been as concerned) were too much. I ended up attending kids club with dd for rest of week because of the other issues too but am now wondering if I should have said more in feedback.

Where in the world is this? That would affect how I feel about it.

BlackBorderBinLiner Sat 24-Aug-13 00:11:27

YABU If not duffers they'll be fine....

ourlittlestreet Sat 24-Aug-13 00:12:10

It was a Greek Island but a UK owned and run resort if that makes a difference. All staff, nannies etc were British.

SavoyCabbage Sat 24-Aug-13 00:12:22

Depends on the capabilities of the other child. My dd is going sailing with her friend soon. She is nine and he is eleven. She can't sail but he really can.

Ok, so warm non tidal water. And British trained staff and presumably RYA accredited. Fine in my book, the collision was unfortunate but Picos are basically plastic bumper cars on the sea.

Rough water, strong tides, and non-British approaches to health and safety would make it not fine for me.

Hope it hasn't out her off, sailing is a awesome sport that age!

TigerSwallowTail Sat 24-Aug-13 00:15:47

I wouldn't be comfortable with it if there were no adults on the boat.

BrokenSunglasses Sat 24-Aug-13 00:16:37

With it being a British led facility, I would expect their safety standards to be as good as they are in the UK, even without it being required because if local laws.

I can't imagine exactly the type of boat that they were on, so I'd find out if those type of sailing boats were used here, and if so, what their typical safety standards are when it comes to teaching children.

curlew Sat 24-Aug-13 00:16:41

No. I have sailing children and I wouldn't be happy with this. And I am of the "if not duffers won't drown"school of though.

One competent sailor with one beginner would be OK- but the competent sailor would have to have demonstrated competence.

ourlittlestreet Sat 24-Aug-13 00:16:51

Fully prepared to be unreasonable, its hard with her sen to level off to expectations of a NT child her age.

When we came back we attending a fun day in UK and children were taken on the river in a same type boat but not allowed to go alone and they were quite suprised.

ourlittlestreet Sat 24-Aug-13 00:23:22

Only one of the children had been sailing before with mum and never controlled boat herself. she was 8 and thought she could do it.

Water was quite choppy and beach/water had been closed to all including experienced adults that morning. I had only let her go because I presumed they would have an adult in boat.

my dd was hit hard in face by another boat of kids and got into difficulty in the water.

CatsAndTheirPizza Sat 24-Aug-13 00:28:10

No way would I allow it.

LittleBearPad Sat 24-Aug-13 00:31:44

Seems a bit crap for the staff to take the word of a child that they actually do know what they are doing
I assume they had life jackets

curlew Sat 24-Aug-13 00:32:07

I would not be happy with that- and as I said I am very gung ho!

My 12 year old is a very competent sailor and I would be happy with him taking a beginner out on the sea. But only because I know he is a sensible and calm sailor who's good at explaining things.

On a lake so long as there's a rescue boat you can do more "just hop in and have a go- see what happens". But even then, I don't think I'd put three in a boat. And a child with sen- I think I'd definitely send her out with an older child or an adult first.(Sea Scout leader talking!)

recall Sat 24-Aug-13 00:35:42

Blackborderbinliner they didn't mean to go to sea…wink

Lazyjaney Sat 24-Aug-13 00:37:39

Water was quite choppy and beach/water had been closed to all including experienced adults that morning

Because of weather or to keep other boats out the way?

Greek sea-shore is safer than any UK lake IMO. If your DD can swim I'd be fine, if not she shouldn't be out without an adult on the boat.

ourlittlestreet Sat 24-Aug-13 00:44:08

It had been shut in the morning due to weather. This was afternoon, dd can swim but not strongly on her front because of her sen. She's ok on her back and confident in water.

I had specifically asked if I should keep her away for that reason and been told no she could do it.

Like I said the other watersports had been done in a cornered off swimming area of sea roped off and had been so safe so I had no reason to think this would be any different.

BlackBorderBinLiner Sat 24-Aug-13 01:13:39

[Grin] Never had problems with the Coot Club on our Winter Holiday

Sconset Sat 24-Aug-13 02:32:36

Lemnos?

Lazyjaney Sat 24-Aug-13 08:10:21

I ended up attending kids club with dd for rest of week because of the other issues too

I missed this. All is clear now.

Smoorikins Sat 24-Aug-13 08:28:50

My son did sailing lessons, from about age 10. Same boat, no adults in the boat - but two rescue boats out and about.

They all had lifejackets on.

There was some hi jinx, deliberate overturning etc, but he loved it.

I wouldn't expect there to be an adult per small boat. It would cost a fortune, and it sounds like they had safety covered.

Vatta Sat 24-Aug-13 08:38:10

It's normal to only have chikdren in picos, they're very small training/fun boats really.

However I wouldn't expect them to leave the children in one without checking first that they know how to sail (you can't take an 8 year old's word for it!).

In your shoes I'd complain in writing, it doesn't sound like this session was run well and the resort needs to fix the problem.

PGRated Sat 24-Aug-13 08:47:12

Junior cadets in the sea cadets use to be put in sailing boats alone with safety boats nearby and some parents weren't comfortable with it but they were ok and always shown what to do first (even if they had already been on the water).

However in your situation they should of been showing the kiddies what to do first! so YANBU

ourlittlestreet Sat 24-Aug-13 08:49:25

"I ended up attending kids club with dd for rest of week because of the other issues too

I missed this. All is clear now"

What do you mean Lazyjaney?
if you mean I am overprotective let me say that dd has additional needs (asd, dyspraxia, language difficulty) she refused to go back to any activities not in kids club room because it freaked her out. I didn't want her to miss out so I asked what to do and was told to attend. I basically sat nearby not interfering and there were none parent holiday makers sat in same place.

Floatsyourboat Sat 24-Aug-13 08:51:06

As long as they had life jackets and a rescue boat then I don't see a problem. It's unfortunate that your daughter got hit in the face but that's sailing for you! My brother has a huge sailing yacht and I can't sail and have been hit in the head loads of times by wayward ropes and sails and not to mention the boom which always seems to go for me. My husband even got caught in the face by a metal cable and took off half the skin on his forehead and cheek. I don't know why we go on it sometimes but we have had some lovely weekends away on her this summer and there's nothing better than sailing around the coast and sunbathing on deck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now