Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to expect chips to be vegetarian?

(72 Posts)
hugoagogo Fri 23-Aug-13 21:36:37

and if they aren't that this should be made clear?

I understand that some people enjoy chips cooked in lard or goose or duck fat and that is fine with me as long as I know.

BUT as a general rule vegetables should be vegie no?

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Fri 23-Aug-13 21:39:03

I think (speaking as the wife of a vegan) that you need to check. DH always asks what things have been cooked in. YABU to assume or expect.

BIWI Fri 23-Aug-13 21:39:51

Oh no! Best chips are cooked in beef dripping.

TylerHopkins Fri 23-Aug-13 21:41:11

You know, I'd never really given it much though until now. As a Veggie though I will check in future.

HazeltheMcWitch Fri 23-Aug-13 21:41:14

I'm a veggie; I'd check.
They could be cooked in any type of fat, or alongside meaty, fishy things.

AwkwardSquad Fri 23-Aug-13 21:41:48

Up here in the northeast you'd be hard pressed to find a chip that's not cooked in animal fat. It's a pain for non meat eaters like me and the chips aren't even nice - they're flabby. Yuck. On the bright side, it stops me buying a fish supper on impulse on the way home from work!

sarahtigh Fri 23-Aug-13 21:41:55

no it is not a valid assumption a lot of chip shop chips are cooked in animal fat

roast potatoes are rarely vegetarian mostly done in the fat from the roast meat they are accompanying

MammaTJ Fri 23-Aug-13 21:44:23

Veggie, maybe, vegan, never assume is vegan as oven chips are usually layden with whey powder. However, manay places do use meat fat to fry in.

AwkwardSquad Fri 23-Aug-13 21:45:10

And yes before someone jumps on it, I am fully aware of the inherent contradiction of saying 'non meat eater' and then mentioning a fish supper. Pescatarian blah blah hypocrite blah blah. My point is that chips fried in dripping are vile and soggy travesties.

hardbeingme Fri 23-Aug-13 21:46:13

walkers cheese & onion were at one point not vegetarian whereas the beef flavour were, i don't know if this is still the case but it must be a minefield.

a vegetarian lady i worked with had absolutely no idea that haribo weren't animal product free she was horrified when i explained what gelatine was.

AwkwardSquad - I misread what you said as saying that chips fried in dripping are vile and soggy transvestites. grin

hugoagogo Fri 23-Aug-13 21:53:15

Don't people think that there should be a notice in the chip shop to say that the chips are cooked in lard/dripping or whatever?

meganorks Fri 23-Aug-13 21:55:19

YABU - dripping chips are the best.

Amrapaali Fri 23-Aug-13 21:57:25

Snap! Me too, SDTG... smile

hugoagogo Fri 23-Aug-13 21:57:48

Did I comment on whether they were nice or not?

Read the op fgs

sameoldIggi Fri 23-Aug-13 21:58:15

I work on the basis that if it doesn't say cooked in veg oil, then I need to ask. You can really taste it if you encounter the wrong sort!
Liking the transvestite chip idea - meat born in a vegetable's body.

NoelHeadbands Fri 23-Aug-13 21:58:33

I would assume chips to be non-vegetarian actually

Perhaps because I'm northern grin

Lots of chips aren't gluten free either- covered in flour to crisp them up. 'Sabugger.

Bonkerz Fri 23-Aug-13 22:03:35

And some chips are not dairy free as they have a milk coating to make them crispy (KFC)

Chips aren't exactly the cornerstone of a healthy vegetarian diet anyway. I'm veggie but can't remember the last time I ate chips.

badguider Fri 23-Aug-13 22:03:53

Chip shops around here (south east scotland) tend to have notices up saying 'cooked in vegetable oil' - therefore i'd expect those that dont' have a notice to be cooking in something animal derived.

Rufus43 Fri 23-Aug-13 22:07:38

I think they should say what the chips are cooked in, our local shop does them in oil but I know not all do.

I'm not a vegetarian cos its healthy so I don't worry about them within a balanced diet (not that mine is!)

SilverApples Fri 23-Aug-13 22:07:41

I never expect, those bloody omnivores find it funny when you are two-thirds into a bag to say 'Heee heee, guess what?'
I'd like a notice in the window of a chip shop to tell me if they are not using veggie oil.
You can tell who the omnis are, brains clogged with dripping, they are the ones who haven't RTFT carefully. grin
I don't care if the chips taste amazing to you, I'd like to know what I'm eating.

SlobAtHome Fri 23-Aug-13 22:09:34

I used to work in a chippy as a teen and we weren't allowed to tell customers that they were cooked in beef drippings unless specifically asked. Even if by other Qs it was clear they were veggies shock

I often told them anyway.

aturtlenamedmack Fri 23-Aug-13 22:10:14

I'm in Yorkshire, chips are mainly cooked in animal fat, the safest places are halal take aways and big chains.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now