..to think people should know how to use 'your'?

(59 Posts)
DarceyBissell Fri 23-Aug-13 21:27:22

When you mean 'you are' it's 'you're' as in 'you're having a bad day.' When someone owns something it's 'your'. As in 'that's your cake.'
Shouldn't bug me but it does. See it loads. On here.

primroseyellow Fri 23-Aug-13 22:22:55

It annoys me too, but I don't actually believe that everyone on here who uses 'your' instead of 'you're' doesn't know the difference. It's just people posting in a hurry. I don't have a smartphone but even using PC I still make stupid mistakes ... and as for texting....
This is an internet forum not a job application! (Hope young relatives forgive me for FB grammar corrections!).
I used to pass a sign on a garage that said 'MOT faliers bought' - I am almost ashamed to admit how long it took me to work out what it meant...
And as for apostrophes....

JetSetWilly Fri 23-Aug-13 22:23:17
SirChenjin Fri 23-Aug-13 22:24:44

YANBU

Dominodonkey Fri 23-Aug-13 22:32:02

Yanbu

I once had a full on argument with a student who told me I was lying when I said there were two versions of 'your'. Her argument was based around the fact that none of her friends ever used two different ones.....

CoffeeandScones Fri 23-Aug-13 23:06:05

People should know how to use my what?

needaholidaynow Sat 24-Aug-13 03:12:52

It's the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

grin Love it!

Nora2012 Sat 24-Aug-13 09:14:54

No your completely correct. Ha ha ha (it was obvious but someone had to do it)

Nora2012 Sat 24-Aug-13 09:19:10

I don't know how to add links, but if I did I'd post one to grammar girl's www.quickanddirtytips.com. There's a podcast too! Geeky but good.

Floatsyourboat Sat 24-Aug-13 09:24:38

groan get over yourself grammar police!

Buzzardbird Sat 24-Aug-13 09:25:01

Ellipses come in 3's!

Buzzardbird Sat 24-Aug-13 09:32:28

Missed off the grin blush

Tee2072 Sat 24-Aug-13 09:39:04

I am amazed by people who have enough time and energy to worry about how others use grammar on the internet.

Isn't it exhausting being so fucking perfect all the time and despairing when others aren't?

Personally I'll save my energy for important things.

usualsuspect Sat 24-Aug-13 09:46:34

What Tee said.

Nanny0gg Sat 24-Aug-13 09:48:55

Buzzardbird: Ellipses come in 3's!

Indeed they do, but you didn't need that apostrophe! grin

Just idle curiosity here. Why do people allow Autocorrect to dictate their spellings/grammar? It makes posts far more unreadable than Poster error does IYSWIM.

Tittypulumpcious Sat 24-Aug-13 09:50:01

You're only NBU if you know how to pronounce H correctly.

Buzzardbird Sat 24-Aug-13 09:51:39

Is '3s' correct then nanny? Genuine question, I have learned most of my grammar off mn.

FreudiansSlipper Sat 24-Aug-13 09:53:44

grin Tee

though you could look at it another way those that are perfect trying to help those that are not reach perfection. giving up their time to strangers who pretend they are happy the way they are is quite touching

Dominodonkey Sat 24-Aug-13 10:02:05

off mn ?

And you had the cheek to pick me up on a few extra dots in an ellipsis which is a common stylistic feature...

You don't have an apostrophe on 3's because it is a plural just like you wouldn't put one on apple's.

Nanny0gg Sat 24-Aug-13 10:02:52

Buzzardbird to the best of my knowledge, yes.
Apostrophes show possession or omission and that was neither.

FreudiansSlipper I really like your username!

Buzzardbird Sat 24-Aug-13 10:21:34

I wasn't "picking you up" on anything...really.
What's wrong with "off MN" though?
Another genuine question.
Why does auto-incorrect put apostrophes in when they are not supposed to be there? No wonder people are confused.

Buzzardbird Sat 24-Aug-13 10:23:24

Thanks Nanny, I understand the possession thing but auto-incorrect makes me doubt myself.

Crumbledwalnuts Sat 24-Aug-13 10:25:26

Of course, but they don't. They should learn it at school but they don't. What can you do? Things will improve now but there've been many years of not bothering with that kind of thing.

Tee2072 Sat 24-Aug-13 10:31:29

My autocorrect doesn't add apostrophes that shouldn't be there.

I think people are blaming their tools.

ananikifo Sat 24-Aug-13 10:32:58

In North American English 3's is correct. You can use apostrophes for plurals of numbers or acronyms. We do learn this in school grammar lessons.

Apple's as a plural is never correct. It's interesting that I seem to see that type of error much more frequently in the UK.

Nanny0gg Sat 24-Aug-13 10:48:06

Autocorrect is usually default US and unfortunately you can't always change it.

Should be 'from' MN rather than 'off' MN.

But at least you didn't type 'off of', you'd have been hung at dawn! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now