..to think people should know how to use 'your'?

(59 Posts)
DarceyBissell Fri 23-Aug-13 21:27:22

When you mean 'you are' it's 'you're' as in 'you're having a bad day.' When someone owns something it's 'your'. As in 'that's your cake.'
Shouldn't bug me but it does. See it loads. On here.

HoneyDragon Fri 23-Aug-13 21:29:09

I do know how to use it. Autocorrect doesn't though and is a bugger for adding / removing apostrophes and e's grin

WorraLiberty Fri 23-Aug-13 21:29:30

The internet is littered with poor grammar and spelling mistakes

It's mildly annoying - yes

But then again so are these threads because there are so many of them lately.

ChippingInNeedsSleepAndCoffee Fri 23-Aug-13 21:33:12

I think most of it is now down to the autocorrects thinking they know better!

But you know what I hate more? People who make others feel bad. There is a section called 'Pedants corner' please use it if you are brave enough.

... and to be perfectly blunt, your posts aren't always that great either, so it's not wise to start throwing stones.

redexpat Fri 23-Aug-13 21:33:19

I think you should look at this and then come on over to pedants' corner

OMG, pedants' corner! Wow, my idea of heaven! grin

maristella Fri 23-Aug-13 21:36:08

Your right

DarceyBissell Fri 23-Aug-13 21:38:53

Chipping.. Am flattered you have read all my posts. Virtually every post on AIBU makes someone feel bad. Lighten up.

holidaybug Fri 23-Aug-13 21:41:51

YANBU - it's no wonder we are poor as a nation at learning modern languages when many of us don't understand our own. Spelling/grammar are key to this.

usualsuspect Fri 23-Aug-13 21:43:50

Do shut up.

holidaybug Fri 23-Aug-13 21:57:31

Why should anyone shut up usualsuspect? People are free to express their opinions.

Catkinsthecatinthehat Fri 23-Aug-13 21:59:38

YANBU

It's the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit grin

DarceyBissell Fri 23-Aug-13 22:01:01

Catkins...grin.

SlobAtHome Fri 23-Aug-13 22:01:12

That's you're opinion. Your going to have to deal with it as kids just arent taught grammEr these days like us more smarter older folks smile

<waves cane around chunnering>

usualsuspect Fri 23-Aug-13 22:03:02

Woteva

MrsOakenshield Fri 23-Aug-13 22:04:15

mixing up it's and its is just as irksome.

Bowlersarm Fri 23-Aug-13 22:04:52

You won't win on this.

I know your/you're.

But I absolutely don't get apostrophes. I'm educated. I can spell. Grammar is good. But apostrophes escape me. I'm sorry but there it is.

And that is why, some people won't get your/you're. It's just the way it is.

ChippingInNeedsSleepAndCoffee Fri 23-Aug-13 22:05:16

Don't flatter yourself & don't tell me to lighten up - there are people on MN who struggle for many and varied reasons and they don't need people like you making them feel worse about themselves. Pedants corner is there for a reason.

Post in Pedants corner if you really must make yourself feel superior - but don't expect to feel that way for long, they'll eat you for breakfast grin

Yanbu

holidaybug Fri 23-Aug-13 22:10:29

However educated you may be, if you don't get the basics right, it gives a poor impression. In my line of work, I'm always having to correct documents going out to clients and apostrophes are often an issue!

holidaybug Fri 23-Aug-13 22:13:08

ChippingInNeeds, there are tons of threads on here that might make others feel bad about themselves e.g. if someone is talking about their salary, choosing private school education etc.

Buddhagirl Fri 23-Aug-13 22:13:55

Oh I wish I could use grammar correctly. Damn dyslexia, Damn shitty school.

ShellyBoobs Fri 23-Aug-13 22:14:12

Your not been unreasonable.

Wud dis bovva ya?

gamerchick Fri 23-Aug-13 22:17:56

I know the difference.. its ruddy to and too I can't tell which is what. [Angry]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now