Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

About the All Inclusive holiday

(136 Posts)
teacherandguideleader Fri 23-Aug-13 20:16:50

DP and I have recently returned from holiday. We chose not to go all inclusive as we like to have the option of getting out and about.

Most of the holidaymakers at our resort were All Inclusive. I have never seen people eat so much in all my life. Breakfast was a buffet and people were coming back with plates piled high with food (and made several trips too). DP and I had a slightly larger breakfast than normal as we were half board and a bigger breakfast meant we didn't want lunch. However, not only did a lot of these people have an enormous breakfast, but by 12 they were gorging into burger and chips from the pool bar, often followed by a mid afternoon 'snack' and an equally enormous dinner.

DP and I did work out that it would have worked out cheaper for us to be A-I, as we stayed in the resort of an evening and after a couple of cocktails it would have paid for itself - we would then have had a smaller breakfast along with lunch rather than just a bigger breakfast.

The one thing that struck me was how many of the people were clearly overweight and by quite a lot. I did start to wonder whether it is somewhat irresponsible of holiday companies to offer All Inclusive holidays which seemed to be 'stuff yourself silly at every opportunity' when as a nation we are struggling so much with the health implications of obesity.

This is probably more of a rant than an AIBU - I was just so shocked by what I saw!

LtEveDallas Fri 23-Aug-13 20:57:42

We go AI every year. Neither DH or I ever put weight on, and this year I think DD has probably lost weight as she was generally too busy to eat!

I don't care what other people eat. Maybe they just have large appetites OP, or maybe you were just at a particularly downmarket resort.

I do care about waste and have been annoyed watching people take large helpings of unfamiliar food and then wasting it when they realise they don't like it. I take very small helpings of 'new' dishes as I am keen to try new foods, but aware that there are a lot of things I don't really like.

But on holiday I certainly don't try to eat particularly healthily, nor do I force DD to. In fact I positively encourage her to have a pudding after every meal, or an ice cream and hour after dinner. It's a holiday, it's nice to spoil yourself once in a while. I save the healthy eating for the other 50 weeks of the year.

SirChenjin Fri 23-Aug-13 20:58:17

You sound most indignant there SeaSick <sniggers>

I've definitely seen this behaviour in an AI. I actually saw one man complain that the ice cream bowls weren't big enough as they only held 6 scoops; there were 4 flavours of ice cream and he wanted 2 scoops of each.

It is strange though how much some people over eat just because it's there in front of them.

acer12 Fri 23-Aug-13 20:59:25

Ha ha cross posted with seasick!

EndoplasmicReticulum Fri 23-Aug-13 21:02:34

My brother does manage a stone in 2 weeks, as he has a very busy job (chef) and spends so long cooking for other people he forgets to eat himself. Put him on a sunlounger for 2 weeks with unlimited food cooked by other people, plus lots and lots of beer, and yes it's possible.

acer12 Fri 23-Aug-13 21:03:54

I would have complain too!! I would wznt 6 scoops too!!

I have been know to take a whole French stick back to table to slice and share out, which all ways gets a 'omg youve took a whole fucking french stick' glance of one of food police

grin

SirChenjin Fri 23-Aug-13 21:05:22

Wow, get you

LeGavrOrf Fri 23-Aug-13 21:07:22

I love being a nosy baggage on holiday and watching what other people get up to. Surely that's what mirrored sunglasses were invited for. Watching other people and judging them whilst pretending to read a book from the comfort of a sun lounger. grin

acer12 Fri 23-Aug-13 21:07:32

down market resort yep as that's clearly where all the fat greedy working class people go!

I went St kitts and there were some large Americans there ... That certainly wasn't 'down market ' hmm

teacherandguideleader Fri 23-Aug-13 21:10:14

Seasick - not quite sure where I mentioned about there being legislation. I actually don't think there should be only healthy foods - everything in moderation. I am by no means a health freak but I was shocked by the sheer amount some people piled on their plates.

I get that people indulge on holidays - that is what it is all about - and I am certainly not referring to people who treated themselves to a 3 course meal each evening - this is just about the greed that some of the people exhibited.

I am not jealous of the people who went AI - we had everything we wanted - we chose not to go AI as we weren't sure what to expect. It wasn't a down market resort either - not that that has anything to do with it.

holidaybug Fri 23-Aug-13 21:11:31

YAB slightly U. We like AI sometimes as it's just easier with a youngish DS. We don't have to worry about where we are eating out and the places where we go AI you wouldn't normally eat out anyway (quieter parts of Egypt for example).

What people eat is their own business IMO but I don't like the idea of waste i.e. overloading the plates so tons ends up in the bin.

sparklingstars Fri 23-Aug-13 21:11:36

We went AI when we went to Turkey, we had a big breakfast but only went up once except for when getting a coffee after we'd eaten and then no lunch because it was too hot and then an average sized dinner. We had lots of drinks though - iced coffee whenever we wanted during the day and one glass of wine with dinner. Some people seemed to go completely mad and have three cooked meals a day.

SeaSickSal Fri 23-Aug-13 21:14:05

Acer I was going to comment on exactly the same quote! I think the whole subtext of this entire thread is that fat greedy working class people go on holiday and stay in their resorts not going to see anything cultural or local.

They probably even paid for their holidays with their benefits. It's tax payers cash paying for them to stuff their faces. Disgraceful.

Incidentally I spent this summer on the Loire. I wonder if the OP would have got quite as worked up over the middle class pensioners I saw out there swilling back vats of wine and fatty food every night?

I suppose that's okay because their food was swimming in Lardons and not Lard.

SirChenjin Fri 23-Aug-13 21:15:54

I don't see anyone getting worked up on this thread apart from you SeaSick

teacherandguideleader Fri 23-Aug-13 21:19:14

Actually, the resort was mostly made up of middle class pensioners. This has nothing to do with class - I don't give a flying fig how much money people do or don't have.

mirry2 Fri 23-Aug-13 21:21:31

yes, seasicksal, I agree with you.

Jan49 Fri 23-Aug-13 21:22:26

I actually notice this in the UK in B & B's when we're on holiday. I wonder how people who probably have a quick bowl of cereal or slice of toast on a normal day suddenly manage to eat cereal, toast and a 'cooked' breakfast and more when they're on holiday. We always say no to the cooked breakfast but it feels like we're the odd ones out.

acer12 Fri 23-Aug-13 21:22:38

Teacher there just seemed to be a underlying tone to your post. Maybe it's because I'm one of those two week greedy girls!!

I can't help it! It's the pastry stations.. they do me in!

WorraLiberty Fri 23-Aug-13 21:23:41

I did start to wonder whether it is somewhat irresponsible of holiday companies to offer All Inclusive holidays which seemed to be 'stuff yourself silly at every opportunity' when as a nation we are struggling so much with the health implications of obesity.

No. It's irresponsible of the holiday makers to stuff their own bodies silly and to allow their kids to do the same.

You can't blame a holiday company for how much people choose to eat, any more than you can blame a supermarket.

If me, DH and our 2 DC went on an all inclusive holiday, we would doubtless save money when you take everything into consideration.

But none of us would be stuffing ourselves silly.

SirChenjin Fri 23-Aug-13 21:25:30

I don't see any underlying tone at all

teacherandguideleader Fri 23-Aug-13 21:29:31

You're right, it isn't really the holiday company's responsibility, but I still think there may be a link between things such as this and the issues some people have with food. Maybe just to do with a culture of doing things to excess.

I've also never taken children on holiday so have no idea how it works out with children (our resort didn't allow children so wasn't something I wash thinking about).

I've wondered about going AI but as we don't drink alcohol (or very little anyway) and tend to go HB and just miss lunch, I'm not sure whether it would be worth it.

FondantNancy Fri 23-Aug-13 21:31:06

"It's not so much the piled high greed that got me. It was the piled high waste left on the plates. Like 6 hard boiled eggs left, or a plate with 6 pastries, and piles of fruit abandoned."

shock That stuns me. How stupid are these people? I don't give a shit what other people eat on holiday but that is disgraceful!

WorraLiberty Fri 23-Aug-13 21:32:43

To be honest I don't know if there is a link

If these people were overweight then it's quite probable that they regularly eat too much.

Unless they go on more holidays than Judith Chalmers

insummeritrains Fri 23-Aug-13 21:35:15

Seasick, I think you doth protest too much! Some people think it's ok to pile and pile your plate till you're fit to burst and other's think it's piggy behaviour. Get over it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now