Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to ask if you can beat this for picnic bingo?!

(78 Posts)
twosmallbuttons Fri 23-Aug-13 19:49:35

During picnic today with my DC, I saw a mum of a child around the same age as my DC2 (15 months or so) give her a pack of chocolate biscuits, fruit shoot, and those bacon rasher type crisps things.

All very amusing in an AIBU way, but really, is this what the next generation is being fed? confused

ElleBelly Fri 23-Aug-13 21:01:58

It is dismal, but perhaps okay just for a picnic treat? My daughter usually eats a varied diet but we had a picnic today that included mini sausages, party rings and cheesy balls!
Raisah, I've also done the fruit shoot bottle trick to try to encourage my (previously) extremely constipated child. It's a real battle to get her to drink so would try anything! (Very devious)

SPBisResisting Fri 23-Aug-13 21:06:25

Out picknicked! Love it.
What I hate is when its not clear whether its a bring your own, or whether everyone is bringing loads to share. Ive sometimes felt really stingy when ive scrabbled together a picnic for me and fhe dcs (plenty of food, just not a wonderful feast) only to have other people offering us all home made goodies they've all brought to share.

Madladyintheattic Fri 23-Aug-13 21:16:29

I am ancient and out of the loop, I assume fruit shoots for kids are akin to absinthe for adults.

MrsAMerrick Fri 23-Aug-13 21:23:03

Mintyy, I trust your egg sandwiches were made with Columbian black-tailed organic eggs.
personally, I just take a Fortnums Hamper whenever we pop down to the park for a picnic. So much easier.

Mintyy Fri 23-Aug-13 21:40:49

Oh really MrsAMerrick? I find Harrods do a nicer picnic hamper than Fortnums.

SPBisResisting Fri 23-Aug-13 21:42:43

I have the butler throw together some bits and pieces from the local artisan shops and the food we produce ourselves of course

Fakebook Fri 23-Aug-13 21:45:33

I gave my DS (19m) some coke on the way back home in the bus today. I got a few shitty stares but they soon stopped when the oldish lady and youngish man sitting opposite me started talking about their time in prison and how the lady was coming back from the police station again after a night in the cells. hmm. The man had apparently gone to jail for 2 years for handling a gun in public. They were talking about it openly!

My point is, there will always be something worse that will shock you. In the grand scheme of things, a bit of junk food doesn't mean the parents are bad. There are real "baddies" out there.

littlewhitebag Fri 23-Aug-13 21:55:57

I love frazzles and i want some NOW.

<misses the point of the thread completely>

olivo Fri 23-Aug-13 21:57:42

My DD had a smartie ice cream, a packet of gingerbread men and some sweet corn ring snack things for her lunch. She doesn't like the greasy stuff they serve at the play place we were at.

She remains unharmed by it..... Judge on....

twosmallbuttons Fri 23-Aug-13 22:17:35

Fakebook yes I know there are worse things out there. But I also know that feeding our DC healthy, nutritious food is a pretty important thing for the state of the nation. If we all fed our toddlers food like this, I'm sure there'd be many more pearl-clutchers out there in 10 years time, aghast at the outcome.
I would apologise for getting too serious on what I initially started as a light-hearted thread, but I'm quite shock at so many responses that seem to think this is acceptable food for a 15month old.

I'll retreat back to my home-grown humous and fairy-dust couscous now then wink

SlobAtHome Fri 23-Aug-13 22:20:08

shock are we meant to eat healthily on picnics?

Ah crap, I have failed at parenting many a time then grin

twosmallbuttons Fri 23-Aug-13 22:20:59

But why does 'treat' food have to be such crap?

SPBisResisting Fri 23-Aug-13 22:22:46

No I'm with you OP. It would be bad for anyone to have this. Particularly bad for a 15m old.

SPBisResisting Fri 23-Aug-13 22:23:33

And also people seem to justify it by saying about how it's a one off - ell we've had picnics most of the time I've been off this holiday.

amistillsexy Fri 23-Aug-13 22:28:08

In our park today, a mum/grandma(?) had spread a rug over the picnic bench as a tablecloth, and was encouraging a young (3 YO?) girl to slice cucumber for the sandwiches in the lovely bread they'd baked this morning (all discussed at length at LOUD PARENTING level). grin

Go on, OP, admit it, you wish you could come to our park, don't you?wink

SoftSheen Fri 23-Aug-13 22:29:43

YANBU. No need to feed a 15 month old that kind of rubbish. If a treat is felt necessary, ONE chocolate biscuit (after a heathy lunch) would be more than enough.

A few weeks ago we were having a coffee in Pret, and a woman in front of us was feeding her approx. 10 month old son a lunch of quavers and a Boots 'count on us' diet yogurt. She had a nice sandwich for herself, why couldn't she just have given her son a bit rather than feeding him unsuitable crap?

Thepowerof3 Fri 23-Aug-13 22:31:14

Coke for a 19 month old, really? I don't give a shit if hat makes me sound judgey

SaucyJack Fri 23-Aug-13 22:37:27

Sounds like the poor mum just stopped at a sweetshop on the way for snacks.

OnTheBottomWithAWomensWeekly Fri 23-Aug-13 22:40:24

Why could you give a fuck?
And how do you know how old the kid was anyway?

LingDiLong Fri 23-Aug-13 22:41:58

Meh. I'm with Fakebook. I just can't get worked up enough to judge stuff like this. If that kind of food regularly forms part of a 15 month old's diet then, yes, that's pretty shit. But as a one off? It's not going to do any lasting damage so who cares.

Crisps are a one off treat for my kids. As are biscuits. You could catch us on a day when they're eating those and assume that's all they eat but you'd be very wrong. Hell, their favourite snack is hummus and veg or bread sticks!! Doesn't mean they can't have the odd pack of frazzles once in a while.

Demonising food isn't a great idea in the long run. Our kids are going to have to make decisions about food on their own at some point, no way am I making junk food some kind of desirable forbidden food.

SpanishLady Fri 23-Aug-13 22:42:00

I bought my son a fruit shoot once and heard a child behind me in the queue ask her mum for one. Mother in judgemental tone informed child said drink was not healthy so no she couldn't. I had to smile that she was buying her kid a magnums adult ice cream ( saw kid eating it)..... After that couldn't be arsed to comment. Some people are too stupid to bother with (and that's me being judgy)!

twosmallbuttons Fri 23-Aug-13 22:47:14

I don't demonise food. I tell my DC that certain foods aren't healthy for us, so should only be eaten sometimes (biscuits, chocolate etc). I would hope that by providing them with a broad range of nice but decent foods, they don't feel the need to have 'treat' food at any possible opportunity.

DH's side are all very overweight. I'm very conscious of what messages my DC are picking up on.

SPBisResisting Fri 23-Aug-13 22:49:13

Its not demonising food to jave sonethibg other than crisps and chocolate in a meal. When the child is just over a year

LingDiLong Fri 23-Aug-13 22:49:19

But how do you know this family have 'treat food at any possible opportunity'?! How do you know they don't, like you, have biscuits 'sometimes'?

LingDiLong Fri 23-Aug-13 22:50:15

SPB, how do you know the child didn't have something else? The OP didn't say that was all she had did she? And presumably she was watching her own 15 month old so she couldn't have seen exactly what the other kid ate

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now