to declare this the best ever parking scenario?

(22 Posts)
moogy1a Fri 23-Aug-13 09:43:45

We're on hols. in France at the mo ( very nice indeed) and yesterday went to visit a mediaeval walled city.
Parking outside was a nightmare, very busy, very narrow streets etc. so we had to drive round for a fair few mins.
I then miraculously spot a space. not only that, but 4 spaces up were another 2 spaces. We whizz in first space and get unloading DC.
I then see that the other spaces are actually occupied. By a group of 6 people with a cooler and sandwiches. The cheeky buggers were reserving 2 spaces for their yet to arrive friends.
while watching a car pulls up, waits at the space and starts shouting at them to shift. They just sat there on the floor of the 2 parking spaces munching sandwiches and refusing to move.
Bloke in car starts edging forward so small child stands right in front of it ! After revvng his engine he admits defeat and drives off to claps from reserving family.
We watched 3 other cars tentatively try to get them to move. They were there at least 10 minutes before we left.
Do I win?

FruOla Fri 23-Aug-13 09:51:19

Hahaha grin. Lucky you opted for the nearer space, otherwise by the time you'd been kept out by the Reservers - and then done the circuit again - the first space would have been taken.

youarewinning Fri 23-Aug-13 09:54:44

That is hilarious. Why is it the cheeky entitled fuckers always get to win?!

Sirzy Fri 23-Aug-13 10:01:45

I would have parked infront of the 2 spaces so nobody else could get into them!

Hopasholic Fri 23-Aug-13 10:02:26

A woman tried this in a car park in Cornwall. It was messy. no we didn't run her over but we did get the parking space.

loopyluna Fri 23-Aug-13 10:09:05

I live in France. Parking (and driving) wars are in a different league altogether. It's a wonder they bother painting lines on the ground at all!

MrsLouisTheroux Fri 23-Aug-13 10:11:23

I would also have parked in front of the spaces I'd like to think

deXavia Fri 23-Aug-13 10:15:28

Please tell me it was Carcassonne?! That place is nuts for parking

sooperdooper Fri 23-Aug-13 10:23:06

Lol, my mum always says my granddad used to make them do this as children!

Impomea Fri 23-Aug-13 10:25:40

Me too Loopy . I now have some insight into why they are like this as DS2 has just learnt to drive here -don't get me started on roudabout driving in France !

BlehPukeVomit Fri 23-Aug-13 10:27:19

Lol, That would have been the highlight of my holiday grin.

I would have had the video camera out.

HighJinx Fri 23-Aug-13 10:29:17

Hospaholic Is it bad that I wish I'd witnessed that?

HighJinx Fri 23-Aug-13 10:31:32

While it would have really annoyed me if I was looking for a parking space I have this sort of grudging admiration for people who have the nerve to do that.

They are clearly training their kids in the art of blocking spaces from an early age.

quoteunquote Fri 23-Aug-13 11:18:12

watched a total twonk leave his car on a slip way in a busy fishing village, despite everyone telling him not to,

He came back to find that everyone had passed their catch over his car, he had left his soft top up, but It was soaked with fish guts.

If you go to the ferry boat inn at Dittisham Devon,(pronounced Dit sum) you can amuse yourself by explaining to the visitors not to park on the beach, then watch while they ignore the advice and their car has a swim.

Hopasholic Fri 23-Aug-13 12:28:04

Well it was quite funny Highjinx. The woman was stood in the parking spot with her arms wide open as if that was going to prevent anyone from parking there. She announced 'I am saving this for my husband, he'll be here in a minute' to which she got a 'well we're here now so I suggest you move, you can't reserve car parking spaces!' She was not a happy bunny but she did decide to move, eventually.

If anybody has been to St Ives they will understand......

I heard that about st ives, so we went by train grin

BlehPukeVomit Fri 23-Aug-13 14:19:22

This video was posted on a Mumsnet Parking thread recently so sorry if you have seen it but I thought it worth posting here as its really funny.

Bosham Carwash

KarmaBiatch Fri 23-Aug-13 14:23:05

They must have been German.. cheeky buggers are always reserving things for themselves.. sunloungers at 5am before the sun is even up springs to mind wink

PoppyAmex Fri 23-Aug-13 14:26:28

I had the exact same situation in a car park in Madrid.

I just reversed as much as possible without running them over, put the radio on and waited.

Their friends arrived and obviously couldn't go anywhere near the space so called the cops. Cops laughed and made them move immediately.

I'm not normally this stubborn but the cheekiness really pissed me off (and I had time)

SirChenjin Fri 23-Aug-13 14:27:20

This happened to me once on George St in Edinburgh a few years ago - an American woman standing in (the only) vacant parking space 'keeping' it for her husband who was driving across town. We asked her nicely, then told her to move but she absolutely would not budge. Short of running her over, which I felt would have been slightly over the topgrin, there was nothing I could do angry

FruOla Fri 23-Aug-13 17:25:07

I saw that on the other thread BlehPukeVomit. I've spent many a happy hour in The Anchor Bleu in Bosham watching similar!

Lweji Fri 23-Aug-13 17:36:23

I had a somewhat similar thing happen recently on holiday in the Algarve, except that there were two places available and only one man standing up, so I was able to park. I got home, and at least 10 min later he was still there, just standing. Not sure why. Parking there is bad, but not that bad... And nobody cares if cars park on the pavement.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now