Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To not want MIL to do this to my cloths?

(101 Posts)
NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Fri 23-Aug-13 08:35:04

Since there is already a tea towel based thread on here I thought I'd join in the pettiness! MIL is staying and while she is lovely she has a maddening habit...bear in mind this thread is slightly light hearted...but i am also a bit annoyed too.

When she's tidied the kitchen or washed up (which she does at least once a day bless her) she always takes the cloth I use for wiping the surfaces and sink over and spreads them to dry over the side of the sink or the body of the mixer tap...the cloths are always stained and dirty looking....as though she's wiped up four coffee spills with it.

I don't see the need! I place them in a a little bleachy water after a wipe around...she must think hanging them to dry will minimize germs....but surely she should take note of what I DO in my house which is what I do when in hers!

I never follow MY routine in her kitchen but adhere to HERS!!! AIBU?

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Sat 24-Aug-13 19:14:21

Do you know...I MIGHT capitulate and DRAPE like she does. Then we'll both win.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Sat 24-Aug-13 19:13:08

I just want to clarify....I LOVE my MIL. She's an ace MIL as they go. She loves getting a bit merry on wine in the evening and she DOTES on my DC and would die for them (or me I think) so really...this is just a tiny, teeny vent about the habit which she persists in. smile

LimitedEditionLady Sat 24-Aug-13 18:42:51

I think its nice that shes actually cleaned around for you.
I personally hate my mother cleaning around my house.I actually detest it.It doesnt need doing she just cant sit for more than five minutes so creates things to do.ITS NOT YOUR HOUSE MOTHER!!i wish she would just sit and have a brew and a chat.

Montybojangles Sat 24-Aug-13 18:19:35

Thanks. I'm always happy to learn something new about cleaning (yes, my life is a thrill a minute).

MrsDeVere Sat 24-Aug-13 17:23:34

They are the best.
Large, can be boil washed and dry quickly.

You are welcome grin

Montybojangles Sat 24-Aug-13 16:38:33

grin

Ohh, never thought of using a muslin for the job. Why had I never thought of that?

MrsDeVere Sat 24-Aug-13 12:17:40

oh do you really want to know?

Its not very exciting. <excited>

Anyway....After a meal the stuff gets put in the dishwasher and I fill the washing up bowl with washing up liquid, very hot water and bleach.

I use a sponge to wash down the surfaces, table and chairs and then go over them with a old muslin (nice size for washing things down). Then a quick wipe with an antibac and the water gets thrown on the front path. I have a clean path and the bleach keeps the weeds down.

I have cream units and small children so they all get done at the first time.

cloth hung up to dry unless I am clearing up after dinner, then it goes in the wash.
Sponge goes in the sponge holder or in the dishwasher after dinner.

Be gentle on me Mumsnetters. I can't help it.

(nb. my house is usually grubby and untidy, its a never ending battle)

Montybojangles Sat 24-Aug-13 12:06:01

Dishwasher them (and sponges and the brush things) MrsDeVere. What method do you use?

MrsDeVere Sat 24-Aug-13 11:26:39

I took myself away from the thread because I was getting a bit too interested in cloths (yes thank you, back in the knife drawer ms sharp hmm grin )

I felt dragged back by the siren call of discussing cleaning dos and don'ts blush

Nanny0gg Sat 24-Aug-13 10:56:02

SoupDragon

grin flowers

Fraxinus Sat 24-Aug-13 10:56:02

I get infuriated with kitchen cloths being left in a wet heap to stink!

This.

If she's doing the job, she can do it her way. You can always come along afterwards and bleach the cloths if you like.

Nanny0gg Sat 24-Aug-13 10:54:54

Don't use cloths...

Use a pad for washing up and kitchen roll for surfaces.

Nothing to drape then!

givemeaboost Sat 24-Aug-13 10:42:45

bah, I don't like any re-use of cloths, they are very germy imo and as a result I use once then they go in the washbasket, to be washed at 60deg, they get washed a fair few times before then then get chucked, I also do this with scour pads-another v germy item, when I buy them I buy budget ones, then cut them into 3's to use and chuck after a use.

Montybojangles Sat 24-Aug-13 10:38:19

Its at times like this, after readings soupdragons latest post I wish there were a like button I could hit smile

SPBisResisting Sat 24-Aug-13 10:37:09

I hope you mean cloths rather than clothes, or else you must look like the incredible expanding woman!

MrsDeVere Sat 24-Aug-13 10:08:29

I put my sponges in the dishwasher.
clothes go in a 90 degree wash.

Don't get me started. I could talk about cleaning all day blush

MrsDeVere Sat 24-Aug-13 10:07:13

Never mind all that.
My OH fecking folds up damp dish clothes and leaves them all over the place.
FOLDS them!

So they just sit there all damp and germy.

It makes me want to thump him.

Draping is ok. It dries them out. I always use very hot water, washing up liquid and a bit of bleach when I use my cloth again so that sorts out the germs.

OrangeLily Sat 24-Aug-13 10:01:47

YABU and so is your MIL. You shouldn't do either!! Get a fresh cloth out and put the old ones in the wash!!

Lol Soupy!

I was always taught that rinsing out cloths in hot water, and then draping and allowing them to dry between uses minimises the growth of germs. Because germs need a wet environment to grow, not a dry one.

And unless your bleachy water is at least 50% neat, then I don't think it's going to do much to the cloth except create a wet environment for germs to grow. Many germs can tolerate a mild dilution of bleach.

SoupDragon Sat 24-Aug-13 09:39:29

I was trying to work out why cloths are more mingling than sponges

I think it's because they are more socially confident, meaning they are happy to mingle. A sponge soaks up information and thus is good at small talk whereas a cloth has no depth and is a bit limp. wink

everlong Sat 24-Aug-13 07:55:01

Hahaha.

Your Mil washes up for you and you moan about what she does with the cloth.

Priceless.

What do you do with your wet dishcloth?

I just leave mine rung out in the sink, it's used to wipe the tops and table 2736537 times a day.

exoticfruits Sat 24-Aug-13 07:32:30

I was trying to work out why cloths are more mingling than sponges and can't think of a reason. As problems go it isn't one to worry about. Give her a J cloth and throw it away.

VestaCurry Sat 24-Aug-13 07:24:06

Oh for goodness sake! If only my mil was still alive to visit us!

SoupDragon Sat 24-Aug-13 07:16:15

Why are cloths more minging than a sponge?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now