..to not buy dc new schoolwear?

(19 Posts)
SillyTilly123 Fri 23-Aug-13 08:14:27

I have 3 dds 9, 5 and 3 and they dont particularly need any schoolwear to go back to school with. Dd1 needed shoes which I sorted (£15 for some new clarks) but the other 2 still have shoes that fit (though a bit scuffed-will polish them) So should I buy them new ones? It feels a bit mean not buying new when most of their classmates will have new, but at the same time feel its a waste of money when they'll probably need new ones in a month or so.

num3onway Fri 23-Aug-13 08:16:40

There have been a few threads like this recently

I don't think it's mean at all

As long as their stuff is decent I would use it! Mean would be sending them in stuff too small and full of holes in my opinion!

Unfortunately my dc have killed all last yrs uniform except for pe kit and one pair of trousers!

Fairylea Fri 23-Aug-13 08:17:45

With things the way they are for most families now I doubt most dc will have everything new.

My dd is 10 and all she is getting new is some new shirts! Everything else fits fine.

Don't worry smile

Pollydon Fri 23-Aug-13 08:17:55

YANBU at all, just buy new ones when they NEED them. My DDis going into yr 10, but her shoes from last yr are ok & will do til 1/2 term smile

ArgyMargy Fri 23-Aug-13 08:18:31

We've done this already. Waste your money if you want to, don't if you don't.

OverTheFieldsAndFarAway Fri 23-Aug-13 08:19:17

YANBU. If they still fit and look tidy it makes no sense at all to replace things. It's not mean, it's sensible. I think kids care more about a new bag than uniform.

Facebaffle Fri 23-Aug-13 08:19:25

Your dc probably won't notice what the other kids are wearing.

Make the most of saving money whilst you can smile

Taz1212 Fri 23-Aug-13 08:20:17

Good grief no - I only buy new school clothes when they've outgrown their old ones or they get holes etc. DD didn't even want a new pencil case this year!

mikkii Fri 23-Aug-13 08:24:27

DS got new shoes/trainers as his feet have grown. DD1 didn't need new as her feet haven't grown (but she had new in January).

I bought DD a new PE kit as apparently she had lost hers, but when putting away the new one, I found the old one washed and put away by my cleaner hmm

Mine get new when it is needed, regardless of the time of year, otherwise they wear what they have (including hand me downs from cousins and my cleaner's daughter!)

noisytoys Fri 23-Aug-13 08:24:45

YANBU. I don't know anyone who buys all new uniform, just bits as and when they are needed. DD had nearly all new at Easter when she grew so she won't be getting all new now

Floatsyourboat Fri 23-Aug-13 08:29:52

It's not mean if they don't need it. All my dc's get new school clothes every September and top ups all year round because they always need it. It's expensive for me so just be thankful your kids don't go through clothes like mine lol

BlackholesAndRevelations Fri 23-Aug-13 08:33:58

There was an identical thread to this very recently. I just do not understand the mentality behind buying new just because it's September, even if clothes are in good condition and still fit. Dk people actually do this?! What a criminal waste of money if so!

Trigglesx Fri 23-Aug-13 08:46:20

We won't be buying anything new unless it's absolutely needed. Even with DS2, who is starting reception - he has a couple new polos and a new pair of shoes, but we have all of DS1's uniforms from a few years ago, many of which are like new still. I don't see the point in wasting money on more uniforms when we have plenty at home in good condition.

Summerblaze Fri 23-Aug-13 08:48:22

I don't replace things that still fit and look ok. Unfortunately this year both of mine either grew or ruined most of their stuff. Last year though, DD didn't grow much at all and only had to buy her a handful of stuff.

Always make sure they have a new packed lunch box though.

madmomma Fri 23-Aug-13 08:53:10

nO yadnbu and if the kids seem bothered, you could always make a fuss of letting them choose a pencil case or some stationary from the poundshop

marriedinwhiteisback Fri 23-Aug-13 08:55:31

If they aren't needed don't buy them. No sense in that at all

Maryz Fri 23-Aug-13 09:05:14

Dd is going back next week wearing the same skirt she started secondary in. This is its sixth year. Her jumper is second hand.

I have never bought anything new for ds2 apart from shoes. Everything has been passed down from ds1 or various friends.

I have one friend with three boys - she buys new for each boy each year. I really don't understand her.

Maryz Fri 23-Aug-13 09:07:29

Mine are teenagers btw, at a fairly "well off" school. New uniform is thankfully seen as uncool.

sooperdooper Fri 23-Aug-13 09:07:36

YANBU, why waste money on stuff they don't need, just buy it when it's needed, just buying because it's a new school year is a bit daft really if it's not needed

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now