AIBU To have not realised that diamorphine...

(144 Posts)
Mammagaga Thu 22-Aug-13 22:25:14

... IS actually heroin :-0 am I the only person who thought it was diluted morphine?!

MrsFrederickWentworth Sun 25-Aug-13 10:56:33

Pobble, yes, me.

Arbitrary yes, awful. But better than the pain.

TeaCuresEverything Sat 24-Aug-13 22:34:08

morphine makes me hurl copiously so I declined it after my cs as I didn't fancy chucking with a gash in my belly. I just lay there writhing in pain chomping down on paracetamol while my fellow c-sectioners lie there looking all blissed out and smug. very jealous I was!

softlysoftly Sat 24-Aug-13 18:45:48

Welsh midwives minnie, a very reasonable bunch I feel wink

The itching is awful. Just awful. I have scars on my back from scratching furiously in my sleep.

TruthSweet Sat 24-Aug-13 13:24:58

Midori - Congratulations on your new pg flowers I had remi with DD4 and that coupled with G&A meant it was actually painfree as opposed to so much pain I had a seizure.

Top tip - as soon as a contraction ends hit the remi button as it takes a few minutes to work and you get pain coverage before the next one starts.

Chunderella Sat 24-Aug-13 11:41:34

I like the cut of your jib softlysoftly.

Sunrunner Sat 24-Aug-13 10:15:38

My dsis was given oramorph a couple of months ago but it didn't help with her pain at all, she swears by tramadol though.

When I had oramorph before getting a massive abscess drained it was great. I knew that it really hurt but I didn't care, it also didn't bother me when the doctor said that he needed a much bigger needle. I was all floaty.

mignonette Sat 24-Aug-13 09:48:30

I am allergic to Codeine. Even handling the tablets makes my hands and arms come out in hives which has been problematic because I am a nurse. I develop anaphylaxis if I am given it.

Other opiates though; no problem smile....

AndHarry Sat 24-Aug-13 09:43:22

I was stuffed so full of opiates after an operation a couple of years ago that DH and an ICU nurse had to take turns to wake me up to breathe. I was so happy and warm and sleepy. I can easily see how an addict could die if they got access to medical-grade stuff. After I left the ICU I was put on a 5-minute button press thing, which was useless. I'd get dosed up enough to sleep, would drift off and then wake up 20 minutes later in agony because, as I kept trying to explain to the nurse who told me I just needed to keep pressing the button, I am not able to press buttons in my sleep hmm

weebarra Sat 24-Aug-13 09:17:31

I was given morphine last week to try to discourage DD from arriving. I hate it, makes me feel sick, and god, the itch!
DD is here now and as with DS1 & 2 I am very much enjoying my tramadol!

FrigginRexManningDay Sat 24-Aug-13 09:05:55

I loved the gas and air,it was truly wonderful stuff.
When I broke my hip I was given morphine and something else I can't remember what it was called (probably cause the old morphine has addled my brain). It was the best month of my life,although there are chunks of time missing.

RoxyFox211 Sat 24-Aug-13 08:34:27

Haha purrpurr, pretty much snap. I always joke about it giving me a taste for the stuff (it really did though!).

MinnieBar Sat 24-Aug-13 08:09:43

DD2 was a two-hour home birth, so the second midwife didn't arrive until after she was born and I didn't get any G&A either sad.

I think I might have registered my disappointment too…

MrsLouisTheroux Sat 24-Aug-13 07:53:13

I was 2 weeks overdue, waters had broken, contracting and was given diamorphine to slow things down and send me to sleep. They were having a busy night!
The doctor who saw me the next morning went berserk.
I was still in a hazy little world of my own and didn't realise what was happening until I read my notes later on.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Sat 24-Aug-13 07:49:45

Am I the only one who thought gas and air did fuck all during labour, but the mouthpiece was quite good to bite on?

CorrineFoxworth Sat 24-Aug-13 00:05:11

"Can I have gas and air? "

Mw "but babies here love"

grin

unlucky83 Fri 23-Aug-13 23:53:53

Ah codeine too...had that for kidney stones ...can't remember feeling out of it etc but I suspect I was ....
...did manage to arrive late and then only attempt half of a chemistry A level mock (mature student) - only realised it was a double sided A4 sheet 5 min before the end - had sat there for best part of 1.5 hrs puzzling over why everyone else was still busy working away ...blush

softlysoftly Fri 23-Aug-13 22:20:19

I wasn't offered it in labour envy had it before after a riding accident and during a complicated miscarriage though was amazing stuff.

I shamed myself with g&a I loved it so much with dd1 when I had dd2 she was nearly born on the pavement by the time the midwives got hold of me she was already out but dh has a video shock of the following

"Can I have gas and air? "

Mw "but babies here love"

"Yes but I didn't get any g&a, can I have mine now"

Lovely Mw "erm suppose so"

"DH don't let me drop dd2 I've got jelly arms" blush

MoominsYonisAreScary Fri 23-Aug-13 22:17:40

I like codeine and tramadol, I've never thought I was someone else though! I can't have been doing it right grin

boschy Fri 23-Aug-13 22:12:18

codeine is weird though, it makes me feel as if the bones in my upper arms are made of cotton wool <too many prescrp drugs> emoticon

I didn't get it for any if my 3 labours and am very disappointed. I want to have been Lizard Queen or the Actual Queen. I know I would have loved it. Fucking NCT talking me into a drug free labour.

I ruddy loved gas and air. And my v. Kindly midwife let me hold on to it while she was weighing DS3 and gave me a morphine enema because I'd been so brave. I'm still a bit in love with her. I drifted off and imagined I was out shopping. Then DH reminded me I had a newborn to feed . Magically memories.

JennySense Fri 23-Aug-13 22:06:51

I blush when I remember "negotiating" with the nurse when she came to take my self-administering push-button thing away. Her roar of laughter made me realise that I wasn't the first to try and keep the heroin.
Thank Fuck I never had access to it before or since!

MrsFrederickWentworth Fri 23-Aug-13 22:05:59

I was send home with masses of the stuff ( please don't sell it on the street, dear"), and discovered that although it makes me as itchy and as constipated as hell, it goes magnificently with red wine.

LayMizzRarb Fri 23-Aug-13 22:04:38

I take Tramadol when my pain gets really bad, once or twice a week. It dulls the pain, but I don't get any trippy effects!

MoominsYonisAreScary Fri 23-Aug-13 22:00:20

I had some and g&a when the spinal wore off half way through my elcs, thank fuck for opiates I say! I could still feel way more than I wanted to though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now