AIBU To have not realised that diamorphine...

(144 Posts)
Mammagaga Thu 22-Aug-13 22:25:14

... IS actually heroin :-0 am I the only person who thought it was diluted morphine?!

MariaLuna Fri 23-Aug-13 00:25:38

Thank God I had a natural birth.

onenutshortofasnickers Fri 23-Aug-13 00:37:35

Pethadine( cant spell,) is rubbish, but morphine; sweet, warm, fuzzy morphine smile

It does the job and it does it well!

I was on that in hospital for a week once (i.v then to oramorph- i.v is best,) boy was everythinh warm, fuzzy and cuddly and floaty and nice!

Don't get on with it to great though, I throw up most opiates and did throw up the oramorph alot, probably the taste though!

Deathbyladybirds Fri 23-Aug-13 00:46:54

I had the 5 minute button diamorphine thing. Damn good shit.
Gas and air is more fun though.

Azultrailer Fri 23-Aug-13 01:16:39

A looong time ago I worked for the manufacturer of kapake. We went on conference and got arseholed beyond belief, and then dropped a couple of kapake. Not just a few of us, a load of the sales team and honoured guests. Result? No hangover, and a deep sense of wellbeing until the next bender started!

<it's not big and it's not clever> disclaimer

Azultrailer Fri 23-Aug-13 01:20:52

I had to have bi-manual compression (google this if you have a strong stomach) via an undulated cervix after a Caesarean section and a big bleed. The doctor had hands like a goalie but with the diamorphine he could have taken out my tonsils whilst he was up there and I wouldn't have given a shit.

In the words of Russell Brand: "Opiates deliver."

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Fri 23-Aug-13 01:23:07

It is really good shit for giving birth. I would highly recommend it for a first birth. I was off my tits for transition and pushed out a nine and a half pounder perfectly. Didn't even really notice the pain on crowning. Didn't have a y drugs for my subsequent three births of big babies and the ring of fire smarter like a fucker.

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Fri 23-Aug-13 01:32:33

Minnty, I had it in 2004 and it was standard pain relief then in my NHS area for labour. Had been for ages before too. A year or two later however pethidine became drug of choice due to a diamorphine national shortage. I kicked up a fuss and had diamorphine prescribed by my GP and available at my subsequent homebirths. I had heard pethidine was shit poor by comparison and i wanted to stick with a drug that i knew fucked me up adequately to make birth easy. I didn't use it though as did not feel I needed extra help those subsequent times.

sashh Fri 23-Aug-13 08:56:37

What is wrong with me?

I have had both oramorph and morphine for pain, and they kill the pain but I don't feel any side effects.

I spoke to someone on the phone after oramorph, they said I sounded as if I had had a couple of drinks.

I want to be the Lizard Queen, or as I reading RR Martin I might be Deanerys. Boo Hiss.

On the plus side, I can take tramadol and still work. Correction, I can take tramadol which dulls the pain enough for me to work.

Pigsmummy Fri 23-Aug-13 09:07:19

I was asking for drugs in labour and wasn't offered diamorphine, it didn't get mentioned in ante natal class either. This is the first time I have heard of it being used in labour. I wonder if it is a regional thing? (had gas and air after 9 cm but wanted something stronger).

Pobblewhohasnotoes Fri 23-Aug-13 09:11:50

It depends on your hospital, my hospital didn't offer it either. Some offer pethidine, some offer diamorphine. Morphine is a great analgesic, but not everyone gets on with it.

mrsjay Fri 23-Aug-13 09:14:21

I remember being on morphine for a while and i started seeing spiders and MR men confused it is even stuff

hackmum Fri 23-Aug-13 09:14:59

I had no idea they gave diamorphine in labour. My mother had it when she was dying of cancer.

In labour, I had pethidine, which gave me a lovely floaty relaxed feeling, but I have friends who hated it because it made them hallucinate.

Ifancyashandy Fri 23-Aug-13 09:15:49

It's all fine now. Creaky but fine! Good surgeon said I had fab legs <<preens>> so he was determined to do a good job with the plate and pins.

They had to put the dislocation back before they could move me to hospital. That was pleasant. But they gave me morphine AND gas and air for that. Gas and air is fab! Like being drunk. But not. Like the efect of the first glass when you're afternoon drinking! Great stuff!

mrsjay Fri 23-Aug-13 09:16:06

I had diamorphine in 98 didnt see spiders that time grin the midwife said it can slow down labour and I could get a sleep

QueenofKelsingra Fri 23-Aug-13 09:17:54

I had morphine when admitted with pancreatitis - it was the most wonderful feeling! I remember feeling it spread through me, pain disappeared instantly and I floated into a beautiful fluffy place! I remember a nurse trying to wake me up a bit and telling me they had given me too much, I told them no, I had newborn twins, I was just that tired! (it was true, but they still didn't give me more for a while and kept trying to interrupt my happy floaty place!)

blissful stuff......

Hopasholic Fri 23-Aug-13 09:25:41

I had a kinda outer body experience on it. I was on the ceiling looking down at myself during --my 66 hour--labour. Thank god for morphine!

Don't know what I was given as my pre meds for surgery once but I was convinced the anaethatist was Dr Robert Winston from child of our time and kept asking him why he was at my local hospital blush.

Wouldn't mind but when he came to check on me after the op, he was a very large black man so god knows where that came from!

pianodoodle Fri 23-Aug-13 09:27:49

You can get diamorphine in labour? No one offered it to me!

Due again at Christmas I demand a double dose to make up for last time!

pianodoodle Fri 23-Aug-13 09:28:13

Maybe one for labour and one to take home after.

elliejjtiny Fri 23-Aug-13 09:49:33

I had oramorph and codeine after my section. Don't remember feeling floaty but I remember telling off the nurse in special care because DS4 was sleeping on his front blush. Also I was on the ward for about 3 hours before they took me down to see DS4 and my memories of that time was mostly blank. I'd like a homebirth if I ever have DC5 but I wouldn't mind a stay in hospital afterwards so I can take loads of drugs for the afterpains.

Saltire Fri 23-Aug-13 10:03:59

I have codine at home for my fibromyalgia, makeme feela bit airy fairy but apart from that I am fine.
Tramadol is different - curly spiral colour tunnels with big blue spiders, pink elephants and dinosaurs was the effects of that. oh and the itch. Poor DH actually rang NHS24 at one point because he was so worried about me!

cushtie335 Fri 23-Aug-13 10:14:38

Apparently it made my voice go really high...not helium high, just other-worldy floaty high. I kept telling the old man how much I wanted to shag him as well seemingly. This was after a huge operation and I had tubes from every orifice so I doubt he was terribly enthused by the offer.

I was offered diamorphine in labour. Off my head on gas and air I shouted at the midwives. "I don't want heroin".

OnIlkelyMoorBahtat Fri 23-Aug-13 10:30:00

Codeine for slipped disc pressing on spinal cord; yummy. To quote Harry Hill, "the trouble with heroin is, it's really moreish". It is!

MotherofDragons82 Fri 23-Aug-13 10:40:29

I had diamorphine and it barely took the edge off the pain -just made me feel a bit trippy and out of it. I'll remember not to bother trying heroin either...

midori1999 Fri 23-Aug-13 11:09:07

I had diamorphine with DSs 2&3. It definitely took the edge off and was much better than the meptid (like pethidine) I had with DS1. Although with DS2, Beetlejuice was on the TV. That was a weird film to watch on diamorphine! grin

The hospital I'm booked at now use remifentanil, so ill be opting for that if I need more than gas and air this time as it doesn't really affect the baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now