AIBU To have not realised that diamorphine...

(144 Posts)
Mammagaga Thu 22-Aug-13 22:25:14

... IS actually heroin :-0 am I the only person who thought it was diluted morphine?!

CorrineFoxworth Thu 22-Aug-13 22:47:48

purrpurr, quite.

You must never take medicine for hellish migraines, D&V or use nit lotion or eat runny eggs but all bets are off when you are in labour. Bring on the heroin!

oscarwilde Thu 22-Aug-13 22:52:51

Had a lovely 3hr snooze during labour on pethidine. Set me up nicely for the next 12 hr stint ...confusedconfused

missingmumxox Thu 22-Aug-13 22:55:41

Seriously? so what? what you get in labour was not cut down some back ally...

and Dia means 2, twice, double, so is made morphine only at 11,

missingmumxox Thu 22-Aug-13 22:56:58

Ahh! phone, made from morphine only at 11, it is 1 better smile

ArtemisFowl Thu 22-Aug-13 22:59:40

Heroin is just a street name for morphine and is far less likely to be a clean supply.

Wasn't there a dental anesthetic that was banned because it could be based back to crack cocaine too? I think most dental anesthetics are from the same family as cocaine too

cafecito Thu 22-Aug-13 23:00:40

it's good stuff in moderation.
You were being unreasonable OP for not realising, but now YANBU because you have realised.

ubik Thu 22-Aug-13 23:01:05

diamorphine was like falling back into a feather bed which went on and on and on...

actual morphine made me puke though

IKnewHouseworkWasDangerous Thu 22-Aug-13 23:06:58

While we are in the family shall we talk codine too....

Chibbs Thu 22-Aug-13 23:07:42

interesting. ..

Mintyy Thu 22-Aug-13 23:09:31

So is pethidine diamorphine then?

maddening Thu 22-Aug-13 23:12:13

Your body breaks down codeine into diamorphine or a derivative thereof - all in the same happy fuzzy family. Don't do a lot for the old bowel movements though.

Doubtfuldaphne Thu 22-Aug-13 23:12:20

Why does morphine make you itch? I had some after my c-section but didnt feel any different, just really itchy!

CorrineFoxworth Thu 22-Aug-13 23:14:53

Thank Christ the interns from Matthew Wright work to rule or are too coked-up to see threads like this grin

LazyMonkeyButler Thu 22-Aug-13 23:15:36

YANBU, if you've never had a reason to know, why would you?

Morphine is an amazing drug for those who need it, but, like any drug, causes problems when it is abused.

Ifancyashandy Thu 22-Aug-13 23:17:34

I spent three weeks in bed with them lovely Drs & Nurses giving me Oramorph on a 4 hourly basis. Despite the leg that was broken in 4 places, life was very good. Everything (apart from said broken limb) was fluffy.

SomethingOnce Thu 22-Aug-13 23:20:06

Sanctimummy, yes you can, sort of.

Bunnyjo Thu 22-Aug-13 23:21:30

FYI. Diamorphine isn't double strength morphine - it is diacetylmorphine, meaning it has two acetyl groups attached to the morphine. It has the same potency and strength as morphine.

Administered as a one-off during labour or for pain during acute illness, it is usually fine and non-addictive. Problems arise when it is prescribed for chronic illness, although oramorph is less potent than IV morphine/diacetylmorphine.

There are far more potent opioids, such as fentanyl, which are used in spinal anaesthesia and epidural anaesthesia - and again they are usually administered with little complications.

(am a biomedical science student, so this kind of thing interests me)

AnneUulmelmahay Thu 22-Aug-13 23:22:43

I had morphine on a drip, 5 min press button thingie. Fuck me it was good shit. Obvs the op I had beforehand was grimola, but cloud/silver lining and all that!

HepsibarCrinkletoes Thu 22-Aug-13 23:23:45

Mmmmmmm. Diamorphine.

CorrineFoxworth Thu 22-Aug-13 23:24:17

Ifancyashandy do you mind me asking how you managed three weeks in bed feeling fluffy?

I'm not going to like the answer as to how you broke your leg in four places though, am I?

I hope everything is okay now.

Mouthfulofquiz Thu 22-Aug-13 23:27:44

Labour is one of the only times you get to try heroin safely and legally - every cloud........ Hahah

Bunnyjo Thu 22-Aug-13 23:28:03

Mintyy, no morphine and pethidine have different chemical structures. In terms of classification, they are both opioid drugs, meaning they act on the similar receptors in the brain to produce an analgesic effect (pain relief).

justmyview Thu 22-Aug-13 23:28:56

YANBU for not knowing

Only had it once - amazing - instant result

Street heroin totally different - mixed up with all sorts of cr*p. Apparently about 75% of street drugs lifted by the police have no illegal content whatsover - no wonder people get sick if they're injecting talcum powder etc. Pure heroin is (I believe) not dangerous in itself, other than the risk of becoming addicted

mignonette Thu 22-Aug-13 23:29:34

Does it make any difference? Heroin is just the trade name of a type of Morphine. You aren't going to turn into Keith Richards from a clinically therapeutic dose, you know grin....

Patilla Thu 22-Aug-13 23:29:46

Had kapake once for burnt arm.

That was lovely, made everything all fuzzy and distant for a week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now