Open air gyms - waste of money

(35 Posts)
ShadeofViolet Thu 22-Aug-13 20:31:16

Does anyone actually use those outdoor gyms in the park for serious excercise?

Our local council, in their wisdom put one in our local park about a year ago at what I can only imagine was great expense, yet the play equipment on the park has seen much better days and could do with serious updating. I recently wrote to the council asking if funds could be raised for new swings and climbing frame, but I have had a reply that the council cannot spend money on them because they have already used the alloted amount on this new gym stuff.

We use the park most days and I have never seen anyone use it appropriately, just children messing about on the 'running machine' Its not like we live on Muscle Beach!!

Methe Thu 22-Aug-13 20:32:25

Our park has just installed them. I think it's brilliant!

I see people using them quite a bit, mainly people who are on their daily runs and some teenagers who are not exactly working out but not just messing around either. Anything that encourages people to do more exercise is a good thing, surely? Not everyone can afford to attend a gym, and exercising in the fresh air is better anyway.

HeySoulSister Thu 22-Aug-13 20:41:49

is this a trim trail?

OneUp Thu 22-Aug-13 22:10:41

YABU! I love the one in my local park and have seen a couple of people use it seriously smile - I've also seen people who wouldn't usually use exercise equipment have a go smile

MousyMouse Thu 22-Aug-13 22:12:40

in our park it is used quite a lot.
also the football trainers give sessions around the weekend games.

DanicaJones Thu 22-Aug-13 22:16:24

I like it. It's nice to get the opportunity to do some exercise myself at the park rather than sitting around while my children get lots of exercise.

DanicaJones Thu 22-Aug-13 22:18:22

HeySoul It's this sort of thing that you get at a lot of parks.

HeySoulSister Thu 22-Aug-13 22:19:36

Oh I see! It's not a 'trim trail' then

Looks good tho

DanicaJones Thu 22-Aug-13 22:19:58

Whenever I go on them at our local park there are always other children/adults having a go at the same time, so they do get used.

I like larking about on them but never seriously. It's a nice thing to have though.... although would prefer to have children's play equipment locally first

fuckwittery Thu 22-Aug-13 22:21:31

I don't see them ever get used seriously and they are in all the parks round here. We did used to use them for buggy fit, but I've never seen anyone else on them.

LynetteScavo Thu 22-Aug-13 22:23:15

The equipment isnt' really that effective IME. The step machines just go really fast, for example. I've only ever used it in parks next to a playground, while my DC are playing.

slenderman Thu 22-Aug-13 22:25:22

loads of people use ours, old, young, everyone. i think they're really good. have been in the park alot lately and one old bloke use the sit up bench daily for ages, he look v fit.!

people moan that there's nothing to do, then moan when something is put up!

MamaMumra Thu 22-Aug-13 22:25:27

I don't think they're a waste of money - great if you can't afford the gym. YABU.

Famzilla Thu 22-Aug-13 22:26:12

I used to use one every day when I lived near it. Loved it.

slenderman Thu 22-Aug-13 22:26:12

mrscumber i watched a three year old use the treadmill roller thing. she loved it!

SHarri13 Thu 22-Aug-13 22:27:03

My 3 & 5 year old have great fun on them, the twisty thingy is fun.

RhondaJean Thu 22-Aug-13 22:28:13

I pop on Thr step machine while I've got dd2 at the swings.

When my leg ws injured and I was trying to rehab it it was great as it didn't have too much resistance but let me get it moving.

Inclusionist Thu 22-Aug-13 22:30:12

The ones in Burnham get excellent use as smoking benches and a place to park a can of red stripe. hmm

Inclusionist Thu 22-Aug-13 22:31:46

It would be good if they were in sight of the kids eqipment but in our park the two areas are at opposite ends round a serpentine style dip.

memder Thu 22-Aug-13 22:31:52

I want to use ours but am too embarrassed to do it in such clear view of the town.

memder Thu 22-Aug-13 22:32:43

Sorry meant to say only runners seem to use ours.

slenderman Thu 22-Aug-13 22:34:09

put on a baseball cap member grin seems weird to put them away from the childrens park, we have two and they are both right next to the play area

my 80 year old dad likes the bike thingy

Mintyy Thu 22-Aug-13 22:36:15

We have them in both our local parks and they are always in use. So much so that you have to wait to have a go on them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now