Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Did you play tricks on your teachers that you would/ wouldn't admit to your DCs?

(68 Posts)

Not AIBU but I'm bored! When we were in school we used to play all sorts of pranks. I remember using diversion signs to send all the traffic from the main road through the school gates and out the other side. What did you do? And would you be mad if your DCs did the same thing now?

uselessinformation Fri 23-Aug-13 12:56:57

Some of these that don't hurt anyone are funny. However, some of it is bullying. Those saying that teachers have to put up with it when it wouldn't be allowed in other work places are wrong. You don't have to put up with bullying from children. You can report it as bullying and the school will have to do something about it.

loopyluna Fri 23-Aug-13 12:35:25

In primary, we set all the stop clocks in the cupboard to go off at the same time, which happened to be just after the unfortunate trainee teacher had sat us down for a story! I still remember the look on her face when 30 odd bells suddenly rang out!

Can't remember any senior school ones but there plenty and I remember some kids really went a bit far, and feeling sorry for the teachers at times.

BoneyBackJefferson Fri 23-Aug-13 12:25:59

its all good fun until someone gets hurt but then there is nothing liked getting picked on, bullied or Terrored in the workplace.

ShellyBoobs Fri 23-Aug-13 11:38:33

A group of us in the 6th form started an affair between 2 teachers.

Well, when I say we started it, what we did was to convince each of them that the other was wanting to start one.

It was 1989 and our school had a very early sort of an intranet system for the teachers.

By judiciously looking over the shoulders of the teachers, we managed to piece together their passwords.

Someone then started logging in each morning and sending messages between the teachers. What made it work was that neither of them knew how to see the sent messages, only the received ones.

It went on for weeks and weeks.

grin

livinginwonderland Fri 23-Aug-13 11:12:41

The Christmas tree one made me spit out my coffee. That's brilliant 'cause it doesn't actually hurt anyone, it's just funny.

My German teacher was the best to wind up. Our favourite one was to just move seats. He sat us in alphabetical order and we just used to switch randomly, but answer to the name of the person we'd swapped with. He got SO confused when "Matt" answered to "Jess".

andadietcoke Fri 23-Aug-13 11:05:19

One of the boys in my class had one of those Casio watches that could act as a remote control. He programmed his watch to control the school video players and would stop, fast forward, rewind, pause and eject videos at will. The teachers were absolutely flummoxed because 'it had always worked fine for the previous class' and they never talked cross dept so didn't realise it was only our class it was happening to.

SweepTheHalls Fri 23-Aug-13 11:03:50

Some pranks are funny, like the tree, so many are just about it being ok to be a bully.

Oblomov Fri 23-Aug-13 10:58:06

OMG
When did you DO these things? How many years ago?

I did nothing at school. Dh tells me the pranks he did and I am truely shocked. Not as shocked as I am by this thread.
OMG shock

olivo Fri 23-Aug-13 10:48:57

OMG, as a teacher about to meet a whole new set of classes next week, this thread is making me a tad nervous...........blush

Jovellanos Fri 23-Aug-13 10:45:19

Before I finally saw the light and left teaching, I witnessed a colleague doing dinner duty being pelted with food by pupils.

It's a fine line between pranks, and the kind of workplace harrassment and bullying that no other professional person would tolerate for a single second, but which are seen as 'par for the course' for teachers.

MammaTJ Fri 23-Aug-13 08:40:57

We were cruel to one particular teacher. We used to all make a sound in the back of out throats, so she wouldn't know who was doing it. One would start, then another, then another. We would either all alternate, so she couldn't pin it down, or all do it. We nearly drove the poor useless woman to a nervous breakdown!

I would go nuts at my DC if they ever got caught did anything like that.

saintmerryweather Fri 23-Aug-13 07:25:56

my class were a bunch of cunts who thought it funny to lock the teacher in cupboards and play up all the time. since id been brought up to respect teachers though, i found it hard to join in but would get bullied when i objected, or worse, spoiled their fun. why is it funny to drive a 'useless' teacher to the point of tears? never did understand that

loving the tree one though thats a proper prank!

Our teacher threw out the class Christmas tree in the alleyway behind school.
Next day she arrived to find the tree back in the classroom with a note attached:
"A tree is for life, not just for Christmas"
She put the tree back in the alleyway.
Cue weeks of tree replacement, until February half term, when the tree was little more than a skeletal brown gothic horror. The teacher snapped the tree in half and stuffed it into her tiny car. We never saw it again.

Adikia Fri 23-Aug-13 04:10:08

smile in yr 11 my best friend and I had a halloween party and had one of those crappy ghosts that made wooing noises when someone walked past it so the next day we hid it under our RE teachers desk so it went off everytime he moved his foot grin he clearly thought this was hilarious coz he spent the rest of the week hiding it in different places round the school near our classes so he could blame us... git even let us do 5 whole minutes of detention before arriving with sweets and admitting it.

My mum's was the best though, she decided it was too cold for a snowball fight outside so her and her friends took the snow into one of the portable classrooms and played in there instead.

WestieMamma Fri 23-Aug-13 01:31:16

* Sadly she DIDN'T comply

<goes to bed>

WestieMamma Fri 23-Aug-13 01:30:27

Ignore the stray apostrophe in that post.

WestieMamma Fri 23-Aug-13 01:29:45

The elderly lady who lived opposite us gave me her old typewriter and a load of old stationery. She was a retired schools inspector and the stationery included a load of old Department of Education headed paper. I promptly used the typewriter and paper to write a letter to my head-teacher informing her that Friday's were no longer going to be part of the school week and would hence forth be the first day of the weekend. Sadly she comply with this instruction. sad

koutaliaphobe Fri 23-Aug-13 01:20:35

My mother has admitted her school pranks to me. They were far worse than anything we ever got up to (at an inner city comprehensive).
At her lovely all-girls grammar school they dangled a trainee teacher out the window by her ankles. And never got in any trouble for it as the poor woman was too terrified of what they'd do to her if she ever mentioned it sad

JCDenton Fri 23-Aug-13 01:04:11

A group of around 12 of the strongest lads picked up our CDT teachers' Mini and carried it around the corner from where it was parked. That may have been slightly beyond the pale.

IsotopeMe Fri 23-Aug-13 00:06:06

Some of these stories are hilarious!

justmyview Thu 22-Aug-13 22:41:34

My friend got hold of Polyfilla from her Dad's toolkit, we mixed it up in the girls' toilets and made a fake plaster cast on her arm. Blocked all the basins big style, but (to my astonishment now) we didn't get into any trouble. Fair play to the school management - I assume they just acknowledged that it was an innocent prank and no harm intended - it was kind of obvious who the culprits were! smile

DalekInAFestiveJumper Thu 22-Aug-13 22:33:24

We took the frog we were supposed to be dissecting in biology, rigged it from the lab sink by a hangman's noose and drafted a suicide note purportedly written by said frog explaining that it was tired of being used for its body, and never being appreciated for its intellect.

Bio teacher won that one though, no question. He was always getting onto us about slamming the dissection trays down. So the next day, I go to grab our now mostly skeletal frog from the fridge, plunk it down, and the zombie horror JUMPED INTO MY HAIR. Teacher had rigged the thing with a windup spring that was triggered by a solid thud. Once I stopped freaking out, it was six kinds of hilarious.

CubanoHabana Thu 22-Aug-13 22:14:29

We put our form teachers chair on the roof once, a branch from a tree in his cupboard and then when it was snowing put footprints on the roof heading away from the window, to the edge, using a stick and a pair of shoes - he panicked about that one as he thought someone had gone onto the roof And then fell off...

He did threaten that if he ever taught any of us for gcse that he would guarantee we failed!

In the boys school, they hid in a different classroom for a young German teacher and when she went to get the head, they all mysteriously were sat working in the correct classroom, head took teacher off virtually in tears and when she came back, guess what? No kids in the classroom again... She never came back after that lesson - word was she had a nervous breakdown. We were told my head of German that if any of us who were taught by her wanted to take it for gcse, that she would hold extra lessons as she was aware that we were not at the expected standard....

I am now a teacher and only thing that has been done to me, is locked out of my room once... Can't say I minded not having to teach them, just sat happily ringing their parents to let them know they had an hour's detention the next day, they didn't do it again!

5Foot5 Thu 22-Aug-13 22:01:21

Some of these are hilarious!

My favourite was one played on our English teacher by a boy in the class. He got a piece of chalk and carefully bored a hole down the middle, just big enough to take a live match. He then put it on the ledge of the blackboard at the start of the lesson. Of course she started to write and suddenly had a flame coming out of the end of her chalk. It was superb! Fortunately she was a very good sport and was impressed herself.

ElvisJesusAndCocaCola Thu 22-Aug-13 21:14:39

miaow and spikey I went to a respectable girls' grammar school and the way I saw a couple of teachers treated by the girls (I was a not-so-innocent bystander sad ) made me vow never to train to be a teacher.

I am now a teacher, of course, and luckily have never encountered similar behaviour, thank god.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now