Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think Chelsea (previously known as Bradley) Manning will have a hard time in military prison

(62 Posts)
kim147 Thu 22-Aug-13 18:41:10

She has come out as trans (it's been unconfirmed news in the trans community for a while) and now wants to be known as Chelsea

www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/22/bradley-manning-woman-chelsea-gender-reassignment

It seems like the military authorities will not be allowing hormone therapy but things might change.

She's going to have a hard time anyway. But this is just something else to deal with and I'm not sure how ready the US military is for this.

hackmum Thu 22-Aug-13 18:54:11

Do they have separate military prisons for women and, if so, would Chelsea Manning be entitled to stay in one?

It's an incredibly sad situation. What an absurd over-reaction by the US government. So much for freedom of speech.

bunchamunchycrunchycarrots Thu 22-Aug-13 18:57:27

I think it's pretty much a given that she will get a hard time, on a number of levels, but this is going to add an extra layer of hell to her plight. I feel for her, and I don't know how long she'll be able to take what lies ahead. sad

I imagine any prison is hell and for some they deserve the shit that will get chucked their way but this makes me feel really uneasy.

Hell hath no fury like pissing off the US government hmm will Chelsea last 8 years there?

No wonder Snowden is happy in Russia.

GuffSmuggler Thu 22-Aug-13 19:06:45

So how does this work? Presumably wigs, women's clothes and make-up aren't allowed to be allocated in a men's prison so how exactly will she live as a woman?

If she doesn't get moved to a women's prison they'll have to protect her as she will get a seriously hard time (would cynical people say this was a ploy to get special protection/treatment?).

TempName365 Thu 22-Aug-13 19:10:01

Reported, GS.

bunchamunchycrunchycarrots Thu 22-Aug-13 19:11:07

I'm guessing more of the 24/7 solitary confinement she's already endured will be a huge part of those 8 years. It's just so inhumane to think about the hell she'll endure either exposed amongst other prisoners or isolated for long periods.

ThisOneAndThatOne Thu 22-Aug-13 19:24:59

Youstay - because Russia has a much better human tights record than the US.

Much easier to live in Russia as a gay or trans person than in the US.

mmmm ........ Wait...... Haven't they just past that law in Russia?

Tee2072 Thu 22-Aug-13 19:29:23

You reported GS? Huh?

I think she's not going to survive. It is a horrible situation for her.

ThisOne

What?

He's there because they'll have him ,isn't that the only reason he's there?

It must be horrible to her. I can't imagine that prison will be livable, the authorities have just added a whole new layer of hell to a pretty hellish future.

MrsAlanKey Thu 22-Aug-13 19:45:48

My friend's in jail in the US and she can't even get meds for her Grave's disease. I'd be amazed if CM gets hormone treatment without an enormous fight.

ThingsThatMakeYouGoHmmmmmmmmm Thu 22-Aug-13 20:14:43

Hell hath no fury like pissing off the US government hmm

Or commiting treason, while a serving soldier. confused

Things Yes, treason is a terrible act when you stitch up others.

Sconset Thu 22-Aug-13 20:26:44

That's awful MrsAlan- what kind of society deny people medication? angry

Well- a society that allows the death penalty, for a start, but let's not even go there... hmm

I was quite surprised at reading this news today - she's so young too, such a lot to go through by that age. I've really no idea how she's going to manage the prison term.

tempname - reported for what exactly? there was no personal attack there- I think it's a legitimate observation, whether or not it's true in this case. It must have been very, very difficult for her to be in the forces if she feels she's been wrongly gender-assigned. sad

difficultpickle Thu 22-Aug-13 20:37:51

She wasn't found guilty of treason. If she had been then the sentence would have been life without the possibility of parole.

According to the news report I heard today she won't be allowed hormone treatment in a military prison so her lawyer is going to appeal for transfer to a civilian prison. That will have the additional advantage of ensuring she is likely to receive better treatment.

meditrina Thu 22-Aug-13 20:45:02

Who pays for prisoners health care in US?

In a military prison, it would be the military (who do not cover gender reassignment, whether forte person is incarcerated or not). Who covers civilian prisons, and what is the extent of that coverage?

Tee2072 Thu 22-Aug-13 20:52:38

"Well- a society that allows the death penalty, for a start, but let's not even go there."

Death penalty is state by state. This is Federal. So you can't really compare them.

I would think civilians prisoners would get basic health care and that it would come out of taxes in some way.

cantdoalgebra Thu 22-Aug-13 20:59:13

OP, are you seriously suggesting that no-one in the military actually noticed this before now whilst he/she was serving and it will come as a big shock to everyone?

meditrina Thu 22-Aug-13 21:07:37

If this article in The Telegraph is accurate the military have known about this since 2010.

meditrina Thu 22-Aug-13 21:11:36

"I would think civilians prisoners would get basic health care and that it would come out of taxes in some way."

In which case, unless he holds private insurance, he won't be eligible in a civilian prison either (neither Medicare nor Medicaid cover gender reassignment - it went out for consultation earlier this year, but I think it's still a 'no').

NicholasTeakozy Thu 22-Aug-13 21:18:52

Ms Manning's lawyer has said he doesn't expect her to have a hard time in Fort Leavenworth as the convicts just want to do their time and get back to active service. I hope that's right, Chelsea has been through enough. I hold out hope that Obama will offer a pardon, his whistleblowing cost no lives, it merely caused massive embarrassment for those in power.

Dobbiesmum Thu 22-Aug-13 21:26:39

Have been reading about this on Jezebel, it came out in the trial that she was transgendered didn't it, as far as I've read she has been identifying as Breanna for around 3 years so knowing that how the hell does she end up in a male prison?
Am not linking to the Jezebel article because it's mainly about the Twitter reaction. Which is basically shitty...
There is a comment from someone who is ex military and familiar with the prison system there but you have to trawl through loads of comments to find it thanks to the sites really crap revamp..

northlight Thu 22-Aug-13 21:26:49

Is there any chance that Obama might pardon her as he leaves office? A long shot, I know, but it would be a compassionate act.

Snazzyenjoyingsummer Thu 22-Aug-13 21:31:06

There is going to be a campaign to pardon her. Her lawyer is co-ordination an appeal to Obama and there are petitions etc. I hope Obama does the right thing and grants the pardon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now