AIBU to never buy teabags as I hate making tea even though guests like it?

(53 Posts)
DrDance Thu 22-Aug-13 17:41:52

I hate tea. I don't like the taste of it, the smell of it, the wet soggy bags, and it gets on my nerves hanging about waiting on it to be ready, the right colour etc PITA

I used to delibrately make the tea really badly in the hope people would stop asking me to make it.

Now I just don't buy teabags. Recently my sister and separetly my ex husband have brought teabags with them because they know I never have teabags in the house.

And they know fine well why is this, because I hate making tea.

So now I have 2 boxes of teabags foisted upon me together with the expectation that, as hostess, I should suck it up and make copious cups of tea simply because there are now teabags in the house?

Is it really rude to just say to any guest...'if you would like a cup of tea please help yourself but I'm not making it' in a nice way?

DrDance Thu 22-Aug-13 17:44:09

I'll happily make coffee, hot chocolate, horlicks , any soft drinks just not tea coz I hate tea

mrspaddy Thu 22-Aug-13 17:46:24

Tea is compulsory in this house ... Joke. However, make tea.. What harm does it do you?

sonlypuppyfat Thu 22-Aug-13 17:46:31

Tea is the finest greatest drink on Gods earth what is the matter with you grin

ILetHimKeep20Quid Thu 22-Aug-13 17:47:07

I think you need to deal with your issues!

sonlypuppyfat Thu 22-Aug-13 17:47:30

Oh and I have coffee in the house when I don't drink it

gaggiagirl Thu 22-Aug-13 17:52:38

Yanbu Dr!

Same here, but I'll happily make coffee or anything else.

Casa gaggia is all about the coffee and a merrily tea free zone.

solarbright Thu 22-Aug-13 17:52:47

You are not obliged to provide tea. Tell your sister you don't want to make it, and when they are over at yours they can have ANYTHING ELSE they would like to drink. YANBU.

Being a good host includes taking consideration of the wants and needs of others. Making tea is a simple task, most kids can manage. It takes five minutes, start to finish. hmm

ITCouldBeWorse Thu 22-Aug-13 18:00:07

For real?

I'd hate to come to a party at yours!

blush thanks sorry, didn't mean to post yet, and that sounded abrupt.
You not wanting tea if fine, you don't have to buy it, or drink it. It also isn't a big deal for your guests to help themselves, if they are over all the time. Helping out is something a chronic guest should be offering!

Famzilla Thu 22-Aug-13 18:01:22

Jesus Christ.

I hate coffee, but I won't refuse to make someone a cup if I have it in the house. Did a tea bag hurt you or something?

I think it's supremely weird to say I'll make you anything to drink except tea. Especially in a country where nearly everyone drinks tea!

It just sounds overly dramatic. It's really not that big a deal.

StuntGirl Thu 22-Aug-13 18:03:33

YABU.

I don't drink tea OR coffee but I keep both in for guests. I even go out and buy soy milk especially when my partner's lactose intolerant friend is coming round.

DrDance Thu 22-Aug-13 18:07:14

I don't know, perhaps a teabag did something terrible to me and I'm holding a grudge grin

I just hate making tea!

Suzieismyname Thu 22-Aug-13 18:08:30

I agree totally with your first paragraph but yabu to not make a pretty standard drink for others... unless you're pregnant?

DrDance Thu 22-Aug-13 18:10:31

It's not overly dramatic. I'm not sitting weeping over the 2 boxes of teabags wondering how it got to the point teabags snuck there way back into my house.

I'm asking would you think it's rude if I said 'help yourself to a cup of tea, I don't 'do' tea'?

farrowandbawl Thu 22-Aug-13 18:11:15

Buy a Tassimo coffee maker and get the tea pods, just add milk and sugar as required.

Weegiemum Thu 22-Aug-13 18:12:44

I hate tea. Never drink it. My dh makes his own as do the dc. But I'd always make it for guests. My closer friends know if they want a decent cup, they'd better make it themselves. My very best friend keeps a box of her fave tea on my top shelf to make when she gets here!

Alwayscheerful Thu 22-Aug-13 18:17:45

If you cannot be a good hostess don't invite people in your home.

Why not buy a tea pot for one and give them a little tray and a jug of milk and let them make their own.

GoldenGytha Thu 22-Aug-13 18:24:26

I'm like you OP, I hate loathe and detest tea and I don't have visitors so I never have to make it. DD2 however, likes it so she buys and makes her own!

I also detest milk and nearly all things dairy and I always forget to buy the bloody stuff. DC are all young adults now though and usually buy it themselves.

Turniptwirl Thu 22-Aug-13 18:25:01

My mum brings her own coffee when she visits as no one in my house drinks it!

I can't make tea to save my life, any guests if mine would really be much better off just making their own!

DrDance Thu 22-Aug-13 18:27:44

I think if I handed any of my family/friends a tea pot for one on a little tray and a jug of milk they'd fall about laughing and think I'd become possessed by Anthea Turner

Or going to new levels to avoid making a cup of tea grin, nice idea though thank you

Edendance Thu 22-Aug-13 18:30:42

Wow! It's just tea! I don't drink it- or coffee but I'd always have it in for guests as it is generally what most people like to drink. It's hardly difficult to make, and it really takes no time at all.

C0smos Thu 22-Aug-13 18:36:06

I also hate tea and apparently I make a lousy cup.

My in laws have to use a tea pot for some reason, obviously I don't own one so they bought one and left it here. So now they make their own tea in a tea pot and the leave it on the side for me to wash up, they don't even chuck the tea bags in the bin, drives me nuts as it won't fit in the dishwasher and takes up space in my cupboard. I'm tempted to accidentally drop it.

I think I'm nearly out of tea bags so I'll see how long I can get away with not having any before they bring me a box over.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now