To Object to Asda Displaying its unhealthiest produce at it's entrance and exits

(49 Posts)
pixiepoopoo Thu 22-Aug-13 16:35:02

I have 3 local Asda stores and have noticed that over the last few months the stores entrances and exits have become clogged with cakes pastries biscuits sweets etc.
And whatever happened to the banishment of sweet stuff at the check out?
Shouldn't stores take some responsibility for trying to promote healthy eating? No wonder we are all getting fatter.

Alisvolatpropiis Thu 22-Aug-13 16:36:19

Yabu

There is such a thing as self control. More people should exercise it. It's not as though Asda has stopped selling fruit and veg is it.

pianodoodle Thu 22-Aug-13 16:37:02

You don't have to buy it!

GrimmaTheNome Thu 22-Aug-13 16:40:27

Its easy enough to walk past it. Our ASDA still has quite a lot of choccie-free tills.

Fakebook Thu 22-Aug-13 16:40:57

Never go to a supermarket on an empty stomach. Never. Eat a nice big healthy lunch/dinner and then go. Nothing looks appetising and you end up buying only the things on your list.

MummyPig24 Thu 22-Aug-13 16:42:04

You can object but it won't get you anywhere. It's strategic marketing. Just don't buy it if you don't want it.

At least they are honest. Most shops put the fruit and veg near the fromt. Shopping psychology dictates it. Eddie Izzard is very funny about this.

HeySoulSister Thu 22-Aug-13 16:42:22

just been to our brand new morrisons and noticed this.....great fruit and veg displays tho.

specialsubject Thu 22-Aug-13 16:44:09

you are an independent thinking being. Just don't buy the stuff.

Beastofburden Thu 22-Aug-13 16:44:33

I used to teach my kids about manipulation by big business, saying, "look, they think we are really stupid, they have put all the sweets and cakes at child eye level right where we have to slow down to queue up." Their pride was greater than their greed, usually, so they nagged me less.

Sirzy Thu 22-Aug-13 16:46:24

Just walk past it!

noblegiraffe Thu 22-Aug-13 16:50:25

It's worse at petrol stations!

Tuon Thu 22-Aug-13 17:22:06

"Shouldn't stores take some responsibility for trying to promote healthy eating? No wonder we are all getting fatter."

YABU. I'm not getting fat, thanks hmm We're all grown ups, we make our own choices.

Nice tactic Beast!

pixiepoopoo Thu 22-Aug-13 17:47:35

So why spend zillions on advertising if we are all capable of making our own choices

ILetHimKeep20Quid Thu 22-Aug-13 17:49:40

I know what you mean. Tesco do it too, fresh muffins and other bakery goodies plonked right at the entrance.

There must be logic behind why they do it.

I don't have a sweet tooth, so it doesn't bother me at all.
YABU though, Shops want you to spend money, not buy a cabbage and a bag of lentils.

susiegrapevine Thu 22-Aug-13 17:56:35

Yep our morrisons always has muffins right at the entrance even tho the fruit and veg is the 1st bit of it. Boots are the worst actually they have the sweets right at the checkouts and buggy level. A couple of times I have had to stop my toddler 'stealing' the sweets!

susiegrapevine Thu 22-Aug-13 17:58:41

Oh and yabu people can make there own choices. The supermarkets (most of them) stopped putting sweets at the checkout but that was to stop pester power (aka children just taking the sweets without there parents knowledge or the supermarkets)

livinginwonderland Thu 22-Aug-13 18:00:31

I work in ASDA. The bakery stuff is mostly put at the entrance when it's going out of date and it gets people to buy it. And it works - we wouldn't do it if it didn't. Go to ASDA around 7-8pm and there are loads of people buying bread/cakes/etc. from there.

Where in asda would be appropriate ? Out the back hidden from view?? Pass word protected entry?

You have to walk past it wherever it is smile

wigglesrock Thu 22-Aug-13 18:05:54

Oh, I thought you meant they had moved all their alcohol aisles to the entrance and exit smile . Only on MN is a bloody bun more unhealthy than a bottle of wine.

ABofDoncaster Thu 22-Aug-13 18:06:08

1. It should be 'its' - no apostrophe.
2. I agree with the above. You don't need to buy it just because you see it.

ddubsgirl Thu 22-Aug-13 18:08:09

Wheresmy hello fellow Asda worker smile

ShakeAndVac Thu 22-Aug-13 18:09:04

YABU. Nobody's forcing you to buy it.

I don't work in asda lol my friend did though she had to arrange these displays poor girl smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now