wondering what all these families do in town centres all the time?

(227 Posts)
LadyMilfordHaven Thu 22-Aug-13 15:58:33

( well not ALL the time but more often than not)

yup - occasionally you all need to go in for something or you are on your way back from somewhere/on holiday mooching.

but IME the best shopping ( for say school stuff) is one parent BOLTS in ninja style and is in and out.

TOday there are endless family groups with tired hot whingey kids ( understandably).... is this fun?

Hulababy Sun 25-Aug-13 08:39:54

Adernyas - yes, Sheffield is right smile

LoopyLupo Sat 24-Aug-13 12:16:27

My SIL enjoys shopping. So she thinks its a fun activity to do at the weekends with the family. My brother loathes it. The dc spend most of the time screaming and arguing out of boredom.

But I honestly don't think they know what to do with their leisure time other than shop. So every week they go through this hell.

I have tried suggesting online shopping to SIL but I don't think it gives her the same thrill as actually being in a shop and she looks at me like I'm the crazy one.

I do feel for my brother. Sometimes they come round afterwards and he looks ready to shoot himself. Ultimately though, he needs to grow some and put his foot down so my sympathy is limited.

ubik Sat 24-Aug-13 11:56:59

The countryside is overrated IMHO. Seen one field, seen em all...

alemci Sat 24-Aug-13 11:35:30

went with my DH yesterday to a department store. I said i would just go downstairs to look at the ladies clothes, i said i would meet him upstairs.

him - "I will come with you"

me in my head "Why".

hence I usually shop alone.

ChocsAwayInMyGob Sat 24-Aug-13 10:56:56

Loopy- that is crazy about the hill train in Legoland though. It takes about two minutes.

I do like going around town with the family occasionally though, there's a lot there and it's not just about shopping.

6 or 7 hours would be seriously pushing it though, it's more like 3 hours including lunch. Funnily enough DH really likes it as he doesn't get to the shops much and likes to see what's about.

LoopyLupo Sat 24-Aug-13 10:33:55

So do I Chocs. In fact I would go so far as to say that I actually love him- my dh not yours grin

But I am able to function without him. I am a person in my own right.

The weekends are important to us, I can think of better things to do than dragging round town with him and the dc. If I need to do errands, I get them done quickly, without them, so we can spend quality family time together.

ChocsAwayInMyGob Sat 24-Aug-13 10:28:27

I don't understand this. I've come to the conclusion that some people can't function without their OH joined to their hip

Then again, at weekends, some people want to be with their partners as they have been in work all week. I actually like my DH.

LoopyLupo Sat 24-Aug-13 09:21:40

I don't understand this. I've come to the conclusion that some people can't function without their OH joined to their hip.

As for children learning while shopping - Pah! They learn nothing they wouldn't learn quickly enough as they grow up. I loathed being dragged around the supermarket as a child and wouldn't put my dc through that hell.

The other place I don't understand is themeparks when there is a baby involved. Surely it would make more sense for one adult to stay at home with the baby while the other adult takes the older dc. We are annual pass holders at Legoland and we used to do this all the time. A theme park isn't a fun day out where you spend quality family time together is it? Its hell, esp in the holidays. I saw a little baby, about 6 months old, boiling hot, screaming being jigged up and down in a queue for the hot air balloon rides. She was clearly fed up and the mum look harrassed. I just thought why you didn't you say at home with the baby and have a nice relaxed day?

The best example was on the hill train though. This is literally a train that takes people down the hill. Its not a ride. The mum sat in the yellow carriage with her pushchair, the dad was asked was to sit in another carriage with the older dc as the yellow is pushchair only. The Dad started arguing that 'we all want to be together'. So they took up the space of 2 pushchairs because they couldn't be apart for less than 2 mins. How utterly pathetic.

(Obv. all this only applies to families that have 2 parents avaliable.)

TheWickedBitchOfTheBest Sat 24-Aug-13 08:54:44

So have I been wrong all these years, and actually trawling around Ikea, PC World and Debenhams for 5 hours followed by 2 hours in Tescos 'every week' is actually very culturally rewarding and an enriching experience for the whole family grin

WaitressRose Sat 24-Aug-13 08:51:34

The countryside can get awfully boring, you know. And you can't spend all day every day in the swimming pool (unless on hols).

NoComet Sat 24-Aug-13 00:16:45

DD1 would happily do all day in her push chair round a big city. She loved the activity noise and colour, she got unspeakably board and whingy lying on a playmat at home.

DD2's shopping tolerance was much lower, she liked to BF ages and she wanted out of the push chair for milk and cuddles.

grin

ubik Fri 23-Aug-13 21:26:42

Just look sorrowfully at the poor babies and ask yourself why they are not at a National Trust property....grin

no need to pity poor babies who spend two hours in a shopping mall

What about those who do it for 6/7 hours at a time daily? grin

Least admit that's a bit odd? grin

And yes I have and still do see that

alemci Fri 23-Aug-13 21:00:59

well said power of 3

mind you with the price of food we'll all be out foraging in the hedgerow soon smile smile

Laquitar Fri 23-Aug-13 20:37:29

Some of you must confuse the shopping centres with Amsterdam's Red District. Its ok, its a walk and... shops, no need to pity 'poor babies' who spend 2 hours in shopping mall.

Or do you do museums 7 days a week?

Thepowerof3 Fri 23-Aug-13 20:37:26

What fucking knowledge do you need to walk in the countryside, Arevwe talking Ray Mears style info?!

nightowlmostly Fri 23-Aug-13 20:35:09

I enjoy going to the local shopping centre, and so does my DH. We make a day of it, go round the shops, have lunch, a coffee later on. Split up for a bit when I try on clothes and he goes to game and HMV. We have a DS, he's only 16 months so so far he's happy enough tagging along with us. If he starts to hate it later on then we'll have to stop going so often I suppose, but it works for us for now.

There seems to be a lot of snobbery on this thread. We are capable of doing other things as well, but I don't see what's wrong with spending the day browsing in the shops, having lunch together etc. When its crap weather outside and there's no museums for miles, it seems like a fair enough option to me. As for food shopping, my SAH DH takes the baby, as I'm at work so I don't see the point of using up our together time so I can babysit, when he's got all week to do it!

chillinwithmyyonis Fri 23-Aug-13 20:33:03

Our town centre is full of families, with it being the summer holidays and all.

Are you feeling a big empty nest OP? Did a few squawking kids spoil your trip to M&S for old lady pants?

I'm sure most town centres are similar to ours, in that amongst the shops, there is also a museum, a library, a big park with two playgrounds and a duck pond, a leisure centre with a swimming pool, ice rink and soft play, numerous restaurants and cafes.

firefly78 Fri 23-Aug-13 20:14:40

wow some sexist assumptions on this thread. i am the driver and quite happy to drive on motorways. and answer the front door!

ChocsAwayInMyGob Fri 23-Aug-13 19:30:41

Me too ubik.

It's as if only the poor, ignorant and shy take kids round a town centre. Bless them.

Meanwhile, the knowledgeable, rich and confident can prance round a stately home.

ubik Fri 23-Aug-13 18:57:42

Sometimes people just need to get out of the house for half a day and don't have the confidence, knowledge or finances to make long trips to the seaside, National Trust properties, theme parks, go for walks in the countryside etc

Thus made me PMSL

everlong Fri 23-Aug-13 18:37:22

Not bloody naive! Naice wink

everlong Fri 23-Aug-13 18:36:25

Go and have a naive shopping trip alone sparky.. leave them to it.

We went for ds4 ( he's 14 next month but going on 30 ) sports stuff for school. It's a small shop on the school site. Rammed.

The lovely young man serving gave ds a pile of clothes to try on, two different sizes.

I pop my head round the corner to ask how he's getting on and he shouts ' stop being so patronising ' Christ I could have sworn at him!

Never again. DH can do it next time

Well DS1 (14) won't be seen with me at all ever, and DS1 (11) is all 'can I have' so enjoyable isn't the word I would use for a Sparkling family shopping trip.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now