wondering what all these families do in town centres all the time?

(227 Posts)
LadyMilfordHaven Thu 22-Aug-13 15:58:33

( well not ALL the time but more often than not)

yup - occasionally you all need to go in for something or you are on your way back from somewhere/on holiday mooching.

but IME the best shopping ( for say school stuff) is one parent BOLTS in ninja style and is in and out.

TOday there are endless family groups with tired hot whingey kids ( understandably).... is this fun?

LifeofPo Thu 22-Aug-13 17:31:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrsjay Thu 22-Aug-13 17:32:58

I dont really recreational shop but i will take the dds to town or they came with me when i needed something it was much better to saunter and making a morning/afternoon of it that than rushing them about and back home

ShoeWhore Thu 22-Aug-13 17:32:59

Dh and I both like to get each other's opinion on new clothes. I like to try stuff on the dcs before we buy. So sometimes we all have to go together (try not to do it too often though!)

ChocsAwayInMyGob Thu 22-Aug-13 17:34:59

Saucy Jack- I do take the kids for a top up shop, but for a big shop where I am doing budgets, lists, nutrition, packed lunches, menu plans then no. It will all go out of my head, even if I have a list. My youngest is 3, no way am I doing a big family food shop with two of them in tow.

Besides which, when you shop online you don't have to carry it all home.

NoComet Thu 22-Aug-13 17:35:03

Living in the middle if nowhere family shopping, town centre and food is a general getting all jobs done for one lot of petrol ploy.

If DH is shopping he is interacting with his family not in his computer, DD1 isn't reading and DD2 isn't playing SIMs.

If the tribe are in a supermarket they might just do some sodding meal planning rather than leave it to me!

ChocsAwayInMyGob Thu 22-Aug-13 17:36:36

There won't be any shops by the time dd is an adult

Depressing but true if we all give up shopping,

BadRoly Thu 22-Aug-13 17:41:09

I dragged mine into town yesterday as I had to do some banking, go to butcher and pick up a couple of other bits I can only get in town. It was hellish and as it is a tourist destination it was busier than usual.

The children were bribed with hot chocolates at our favourite cafe at the start then gingerbread men in M&S cafe at the end and a bus ride back up the hill.

I'm hoping not to have to repeat the experience this school holiday!

Hadmeathello Thu 22-Aug-13 17:44:19

Agree with OP. Don't understand why anybody does this through choice. Feels like a waste of resources to me too. Why should five of you go when one can do the job. Would be different if it was fun but whenever I see these families they all look miserable.

LittleMissGerardButlerfan Thu 22-Aug-13 17:46:40

I must be a terrible parent we go into town a lot as its in walking distance and something to do, and sometimes I let them have a sausage roll from Gregg's, and I don't drive shock

CorrineFoxworth Thu 22-Aug-13 17:50:07

We all go food shopping. It's the holidays. DH doesn't ever know what he wants to eat unless he sees it in front of him so he browses with the children and I escape to look at make-up get the staples.

DontmindifIdo Thu 22-Aug-13 17:55:00

SaucyJack - Kids need to learn to do the normal, boring shit too. It's part of growing up. - why? I mean, supermarkets aren't a very complex thing for anyone to master once they are a grown up, you've got your whole adult life to do boring shit like that if you want too (which as most supermarkets do delivery and often for free for a full big family shop, it's a choice to go to the supermarket to do the big shop).

They really don't need to learn that shopping is a recreational experience, shopping should be to go and get stuff. I will never understand window shopping, surely the only good bit about shopping if finding somehting you want, and then owning it, what's the point of just looking at stuff you have no intention of owning? And I'll never understand anyone enjoying food shopping at supermarkets or trying to make that an 'event' - freaks.

Xmasbaby11 Thu 22-Aug-13 18:03:21

Not everyone has the choice, and I can't see why not if it isn't too often. Children need to learn to do some routine tasks and that not every activity is fun and child centred.

Xmasbaby11 Thu 22-Aug-13 18:07:16

Usually DH and I take it in turns to take DD out to the shops etc so the other one can get stuff done around the house. She does quite enjoy it though and is well behaved - maybe I would feel differently if she hated it!

TheWickedBitchOfTheBest Thu 22-Aug-13 18:09:08

I witnessed this in town today. Family groups trudgingly morosely from shop to shop. No smiles, no conversation just grim faced determination and sharp voiced commands.

Why put everyone through it? I prefer to operate Ninja style. In and out, alone, zip zip zip. Then relax in Costa with a coffee and a cake.

I've yet to understand why you see whole families food shopping. It's one of the great mysteries of the universe. Mum, Dad, various squabbling children and a few tiny ones grizzling and kicking off.

I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than food shop with my DH and DCs and I'm sure the feeling is mutual.

As for taking your DH or DCs when you're clothes shopping for yourself. Fuck. Why punish everyone? My SIL insists that her poor DH HAS to accompany her whenever she buys clothes for herself. He hates it. She hates the fact that he hates but still she makes him do it. She marches him round the shops grinding her teeth in frustration while he mopes at her heels.

FloraFinching Thu 22-Aug-13 18:16:50

my DC think going to Sainsburys is a treat
<mugs>
'tis one of the joys of having Eaters, as opposed to Fussy Eaters - they want to come and help choose the food.

clothes/make-up shopping is always, always done alone though, and not ninja style. i need to take my time, otherwise I end up with a pile o'shite that all goes back <rues coral lipstick panic-purchased during lunch hour>

Turniptwirl Thu 22-Aug-13 18:20:45

I was never taken to the supermarket as a child, my dad used to do it all early on a Sunday morning. Funnily enough I do manage to do my own shopping as an adult perfectly well!

LadyMilfordHaven Thu 22-Aug-13 18:24:47

Agree with wicked bitch. Lol at h coming clothes shopping

PlotTwist Thu 22-Aug-13 18:27:39

I've pretty much always taken my kids shopping with me. Even when I had four of them and two of those were tiny. Didn't have any choice, dh worked such long hours, and now I'm single so I take my (now not so tiny) younger kids with me (older two moved out).

Last year I did the entire uniform shop with two of my kids and a baby grandchild. Mind you, after fifteen years of uniform shopping, I can manage that under three hours with a bunch of kids in tow grin

SaucyJack Thu 22-Aug-13 19:31:39

Well why on Earth not dontmindifIdo

Children are ONLY children, not miniature emperors whose every whim needs to be attended to by a team of willing slaves. They really don't need protecting from the horrors of being at bit bored whilst I shop for dinner.

I just want my kids to grow up having a sane, normal life and part of that means doing normal, everyday stuff such as going to Tesco like every other fecker in the country does. Or tidying bedrooms. Or homework etc. Every day cannot and should not be spent at soft play.

FinallySaidMama Thu 22-Aug-13 19:36:01

Well I like to shop. I even <gasp> enjoy doing the food shop without the DCs so I guess that makes me a 'freak' hmm

DH and I like to wander round the shops and so does DD (3) she gets to look at the toys, has a doughnut at the 'doughnut shop' and gets to ride on the train that goes around the mall.

But guess what. I hate going hiking. I also hate doing the garden. I'd rather gouge my own fucking eyes out than do fucking boring hiking/gardening. It doesn't mean I think people who do enjoy doing these things are freaks.

I enjoy shopping too FinallySaid but I hate doing it with all the DC. I like doing it with one or two of thm thought, because then we have a natter and they get to choose a treat, it's no a stressful big journey, it's just a normal part of life, so can be quite relaxing. Not with all of my DC though.

ukatlast Thu 22-Aug-13 19:49:41

Well said FinallySaidMama - although I do like shopping and hiking...with you on the gardening though. It hardly makes us freaks.

ukatlast Thu 22-Aug-13 19:51:19

Some of us only have 2 DC so once they get past a certain age it is very civilised indeed...sitting in cafes etc etc what's not to like, at least it gets them out of house and off their computers.

CorrineFoxworth Thu 22-Aug-13 19:59:22

I must admit, I really hate seeing red-faced screaming and sweating babies wearing snow-suits, hats gloves and blankets in winter in the fucking mall and it is clear from the fact that the pushchair is nearly tipping backwards from shopping bags that that poor sod has been in there for several hours.

Dancergirl Thu 22-Aug-13 20:02:29

saucyjack you sound like you're just doing it for the sake of making the point of children learning to do boring stuff.

No-ones saying anything about going to soft play every day or entertaining them all the time. Yes it's ok for dc to be bored sometimes but why can't they be bored hanging around at home rather than hot stuffy shops?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now