to think there is no place for raw onions in sandwiches

(116 Posts)
mycatlikestwiglets Thu 22-Aug-13 13:20:14

I've just picked up some lunch from a popular sandwich venue and, as usual, have had to pull out the best part of a raw red onion before eating it. AIBU to think that there is no sensible justification for having raw onions in sarnies? Surely the vast majority of people who buy lunch in these places are office workers who don't want to spend the rest of the day breathing onion stink all over their colleagues? (And yes, I know I could bring lunch from home instead of wasting my money blah di blah but I can't be arsed really don't have time to make lunch every day.)

miffybun73 Fri 23-Aug-13 18:46:17

YANBU, raw onion is an evil and stinky thing.

SirChenjin Fri 23-Aug-13 17:54:52

I would never pass judgement - but I would be thinking that your breath was rank. I would hate for anyone to think that about my breath, so I stay away from stinky food when I know I'm going to be in a social environment, be it work or out with friends. A bit of consideration goes a long way...

Toomuch2young Fri 23-Aug-13 17:54:32

Raw onion is fab, tasty, healthy and speeds up metabolism. What's not to love?!

Crowler Fri 23-Aug-13 17:39:56

I think garlic breath is pretty much unbearable. I don't think it's about passing judgement; it just is! I would be really unhappy to think that people found my breath unpleasant.

phantomnamechanger Fri 23-Aug-13 17:37:00

I love raw onion
have never smoked

would rather someone's breath smelled of onion than stale smoke - would not even think of mentioning or inwardly moaning about someone else's food/smells - where do you draw the line - some of us don't like fish but others are free to eat it, likewise curries, garlicky food etc

I had a colleague who used to take a daily "odourless" garlic capsule (odourless my foot but I would never have mentioned it) and plenty of people smell of what they eat if they have a lot of spice/curry in their diet. It would never occur to me to pass judgement or comment.

Runningchick123 Fri 23-Aug-13 17:11:34

I don't have a workplace so I guess I'm exempt from being adorned with the title of selfish onion breath employee grin

mycatlikestwiglets Fri 23-Aug-13 16:58:25

Well, yes RunningChick, those things that you mention smell vile too. But the thread is about the unnecessary addition of raw onions to pre-packed sandwiches, which tend to be consumed at lunchtime and mainly by people who then have to mingle with other people in the workplace. The smell and taste doesn't go away all day, despite use of mints etc. That is why imho raw onions have no place in sandwiches!

SirChenjin Fri 23-Aug-13 16:45:40

Mmmm....raw onion and artificial mint breath <double boak>

Runningchick123 Fri 23-Aug-13 16:32:08

I would rather smell onions that some of the other really vile smells that people have; BO, rotting teeth, unwashed lady bits, unwashed hair. To people that can't stand the smell of raw onions do you never eat garlic bread or curry or garlicky pasta or drink coffee? All these things also make the breath smell but that doesn't mean it's selfish to consume them.
Toothpaste and tic tacs or gum go a long way to lessening the linger of onion breath. People who like onions are usually aware of the pungent smell and do something about it unlike smokers who often (some smokers) don't realise that their breath stinks because they are so used to it.
As for the small of onions in the air whilst somebody is actually eating the sandwich, I personally think egg mayo is worse as it smells like fart.

PearlyWhites Fri 23-Aug-13 15:28:09

Yabvu red onion and cheddar cheese sandwiches are the best smile

thebody Fri 23-Aug-13 15:23:44

ha ha love love raw onions and stinky Stilton.

just brush teeth.

GrimmaTheNome Fri 23-Aug-13 15:21:32

Its not a question of 'developed taste buds'. Its down to whether you have (a) a properly functioning sense of smell and (b) any consideration for other people.

By all means eat raw onions if you're e.g., a single handed round the world yatchswoman or a hermit, but if you live among others, its as bad as untreated halitosis or failure to use antiperspirant/deodorant.

Crinkle77 Fri 23-Aug-13 15:15:19

I have to agree. I love them but just had a cheese and spring onion sandwich and can't get rid of the taste or the smell. Had loads of chewies and still won't go

Runningchick123 Fri 23-Aug-13 15:12:32

No, I like raw onion and I'm not a smoker - I have never smoked. Why wold a love of raw onion = being a smoker?
Some people have quite dull or developed taste buds and therefore like strong tasting foods such as onion or hot curry or jalapeños etc. some people have much less developed taste buds and so don't like anything pungent or bitter. Children generally don't like raw onions, hot curry, bitter vegetables or very spicy foods as their taste buds are not developed enough to deal with those flavours. There are exceptions to the rule though.
That's my theory anyway.

PunkHedgehog Fri 23-Aug-13 15:02:58

* raw onion

PunkHedgehog Fri 23-Aug-13 15:02:37

Well, give me some data, people.

Do you
a) like onion
b) smoke (or used to smoke)

I'll start off: yuk and never.

mycatlikestwiglets Fri 23-Aug-13 14:54:24

massive <boak> at peanut butter and onion roll.

Interesting theory PunkHedgehog!

Longdistance Fri 23-Aug-13 14:48:34

Onion, onion, onion, raw, raw, raw

<puts Pom poms down>

slapandpickle Fri 23-Aug-13 14:42:09

am I grim for liking a nice peanut butter and onion roll? works perfectly, the stickiness of the pb stops the onion falling out grin

PunkHedgehog Fri 23-Aug-13 14:39:43

Raw onion is foul, and completely overpowers the taste of many of the things it's added to - why take a delicately flavoured egg mayo, or a subtle salad, and drown it out with brash, stinky onion?

However - with a large sample of both lovers and haters - this is the perfect place to test my theory. Are people who like raw onion on salad all smokers?

GrimmaTheNome Fri 23-Aug-13 13:32:20

No, no, no - if you've enough other tasty stuff in your sandwich, you don't need bloody stinky raw onions.

Cheese and chutney - raw onions superfluous if you've got good pickle.
Mozarella, basil and tomato, with black pepper. Onion would kill the lovely balance of flavours.
Roast beef and horseradish.

Actually, my last post isn't true is it? Jam, peanut butter or chocolate spread can do without an onion garnish but hopefully that is obvious. grin

YABU. All sandwiches are enhanced by a smattering of onion, fresh cut raw or pickled raw.

Why do I read these delicious threads when I have no fucking food in the house? angry

GrimmaTheNome Fri 23-Aug-13 13:03:22

>Totally agree the only place for raw onion is in a pan of hot oil/butter

Or tucked in with a roasting joint of beef. Mmmm ... who needs Bisto?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now