to think there is no place for raw onions in sandwiches

(116 Posts)
mycatlikestwiglets Thu 22-Aug-13 13:20:14

I've just picked up some lunch from a popular sandwich venue and, as usual, have had to pull out the best part of a raw red onion before eating it. AIBU to think that there is no sensible justification for having raw onions in sarnies? Surely the vast majority of people who buy lunch in these places are office workers who don't want to spend the rest of the day breathing onion stink all over their colleagues? (And yes, I know I could bring lunch from home instead of wasting my money blah di blah but I can't be arsed really don't have time to make lunch every day.)

Scholes34 Thu 22-Aug-13 13:50:25

YABU - but the addition of the onion should be subtle. You can't beat a cheese and (subtle) onion sandwich.

SirChenjin Thu 22-Aug-13 13:51:52

Horrible and unnecessary - I spend the whole time picking them out of sandwiches or avoiding the breath of someone who's eaten them <boak>

signet Thu 22-Aug-13 13:52:17

Mmmmmm corned beef and onion sandwiches. Yummy!

bellablot Thu 22-Aug-13 13:56:34

YABVU. Delicious!

BlingBang Thu 22-Aug-13 14:05:00

YAB ridiculously U. Raw onions are da bomb - in everything!

Ugh, I go through life picking raw onion out of things - when did it become expected that Every Bluddy Thing gets garnished with red onion?

I'm always having to remember when ordering sandwiches or burgers to request No Raw Onion! But it still appears where it has no business being (in a Caesar Salad, frinstance, in sandwiches at a bring-along supper, or sprinkled on a bowl of soup)

IloveJudgeJudy Thu 22-Aug-13 14:14:34

YAsoNBU. I hate raw onions. I love them cooked. I hate raw onions. I love them cooked. I hate raw onions. I love them cooked. I hate raw onions. I love them cooked.

Can you tell what my problem with raw onions is? They repeat on me smile. Love them cooked in a hamburger, sauce, curry, etc, but bleurgh, raw.

Aw damn, I've just taken some toasties out of the Breville, wish I'd put onions in them now sad

HoneyDragon Thu 22-Aug-13 14:18:41

I love raw onions. But I don't think UABU in your complaint. Raw onions hate my MiL. Yet they smuggle the fuckers in everything.

Once she ordered a prawn cocktail, and it was riddled with the fuckers. The waiter plonked it down with a flourish and her face was heartbreaking. She was crestfallen. sad

Raw onion is pure foulness. Vom.

HoneyDragon Thu 22-Aug-13 14:19:04

July grin

HoneyDragon Thu 22-Aug-13 14:19:31

hmm autocorrect

YABU, as I love raw onion, especially in a cheese sandwich, or thinly sliced with fresh crab, but YANBU as it's difficult to get the onion stench out of my breath for days.

<Sits on fence, munching a spring onion, dipped in salt>

The onion's dipped in salt, not me - that would be weird.

ohN0Whatnext Thu 22-Aug-13 14:26:53

I love raw onions, raw garlic and raw capsicum peppers all together whether in a sandwich or a salad. You sound like a wimp grin not liking these fine foods.

BrokenSunglasses Thu 22-Aug-13 14:29:37

I have been complaining about the same thing for years.

The only saving grace with Pret food is that they leave the onions quite big, so they are easy to pick out.

Spikeytree Thu 22-Aug-13 14:32:17

Oh dear, just read this after enjoying a cheese and onion sandwich for lunch. I only do this if I have access to my toothbrush and toothpaste though.

When I was training to be a teacher my mentor told me a good way to stop children trailing you around the classroom was to eat onions and drink coffee just before lesson time...

Snazzyenjoyingsummer Thu 22-Aug-13 14:33:15

YANBU. I sometimes like raw onion in a salad but it's definitely an occasional choice not an everyday thing. And I don't want it on my workday sandwich. It has to be a cost thing, surely? It's cheaper than posh salad and they want something to ring the changes from bog standard Iceberg lettuce.

FatherHankTree mmm, spring onion dipped in salt sounds lovely, actually!

HoneyDragon raw onion in a prawn cocktail? That's just mean. And so very wrong.

HoneyDragon Thu 22-Aug-13 14:35:00

Yup, actually in the Rose marie sauce, stealth onioning is cruel.

Snazzyenjoyingsummer it's heavenly, especially with a large hunk of cheddar.

CocacolaMum Thu 22-Aug-13 15:04:41

YABVU raw onion in sarnies is the way forward

MummyPig24 Thu 22-Aug-13 15:06:01

Yanbu raw onions are vile. It took me a long time to accept cooked onions.

Sleepathon Thu 22-Aug-13 15:07:22

Love raw onions in anything!

openerofjars Thu 22-Aug-13 15:07:50

There is no place for raw onions in a civilised society. That is all.

mycatlikestwiglets Thu 22-Aug-13 16:02:35

Lol at stealth onioning. The very worst kind of raw onion torture.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now