Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to not buy any wine at a wine tasting event

(19 Posts)
kim147 Thu 22-Aug-13 08:57:31

So I'm in a social group and one of the events organised was a wine tasting event. Some people who I'd just met were organising it. He now has a job selling wine through such events.

Great evening - about 5 people there, nice wine and some good cheese etc to accompany it. He was soft selling all the time,mentioning the cost and the deals. At the end, the 4 other people who had been ordered a few bottles.

They were nice wines but outside my price range. WIBU not to have brought at least one just to show my gratitude for the evening, the free wine and the food or WINBU because it was an organised event that he put on to be social?

CocacolaMum Thu 22-Aug-13 08:58:59

you would have been unreasonable to spend money you didn't have on wine.

Ragwort Thu 22-Aug-13 09:00:46

No, YANBU, but I always find it hard to say 'no' at those sort of events, grin but that is my problem not your's. It's also probably good feedback to let him know that the wines were considered quite expensive so that he either increases his range or targets his market appropriately.

bombussy Thu 22-Aug-13 09:00:55

I think that sounds fine and agree that you were wise not to spend money you couldn't afford

kim147 Thu 22-Aug-13 09:02:15

He even gave me a free bottle as well.
Just to suck me in to the business grin

GrandstandingBlueTit Thu 22-Aug-13 09:02:44

Well, you can never have too much wine, so in that sense, YABU.

However YANBU to send money you don't have spare on something you don't want.

kim147 Thu 22-Aug-13 09:05:36

I just have memories of my mum coming home from tupperware parties and a cupboard full of the stuff.

She was supporting her best friend who was a tupperware rep.

bombussy Thu 22-Aug-13 09:06:19

lovely a free bottle grin
how do I get this guy to give me free wine and cheese?

bombussy Thu 22-Aug-13 09:07:19

he's probably also counting on you spreading the word in RL about your lovely evening and hoping to get business that way if he's starting off.

Tee2072 Thu 22-Aug-13 09:09:10

I would say he had excellent turn over if 4 out of 5 people did buy wine. But even if he didn't? That's not your problem if the wine is out of your budget.

ILetHimKeep20Quid Thu 22-Aug-13 09:09:20

I hate these 'parties' with a passion!

justmyview Thu 22-Aug-13 09:10:24

I'll go against the majority and say I think YABU not to buy, unless the wines were very expensive. I feel with these events, there's an unwritten expectation that if you go, you buy something. I don't like the whole concept and avoid them if I can.

kim147 Thu 22-Aug-13 09:11:10

Oh yes - he did mention if people would like to book a party for their friends.

But he won't do hen parties because all they seem to do is just drink the wine grin

Nice cheese as well - I gave my taste buds some new experiences

bombussy Thu 22-Aug-13 09:12:59

Gosh yes hen parties...good business sense!

I think you spreading the good word is probably much more valuable to him in the long run than the couple of quid he'd make on a bottle of wine.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Thu 22-Aug-13 09:15:45

Yanbu at all! You don't have to buy....of course, if you wanted to then that's a bonus for him but it is not bad manners not to.

Yonihadtoask Thu 22-Aug-13 09:16:49

Hmm...

These kind of 'parties' are always a bit tricky. You know that the host/friend wants you to buy - as it benefits them - which is the reason why they hold the 'party'.

However, if the wine was toe expensive for you then I guess YANBU.

BUT if you got a free bottle anyway - then in reality you would have been paying 1/2 price for a full bottle if you had purchased one ?

kim147 Thu 22-Aug-13 09:20:51

yoni After 8 glasses, my mind probably wasn't thinking that hard!!

Sokmonsta Fri 23-Aug-13 09:46:39

Yanbu as the ones we arrange with friends you have to buy a whole case at a time. So we work out what we want and share the cases between us. Although we do have a bloody good time doing the tasting and the lady who does ours knows us very well now... Mutually beneficial wink

0utnumbered Fri 23-Aug-13 10:25:37

I've been to lots of events involving alcohol and not bought any as I've either been pregnant or had the kids with me, I've always spent money on soft drinks, food or other things though so never bothered me, I don't think you are being unreasonable smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now