To think Marianne shouldn't have married Colonel Brandon?

(441 Posts)
squoosh Wed 21-Aug-13 23:45:32

Okay Willoughby was a cad and a bounder and took himself out of the running, but I do think that Brandon swooped in to take advantage of her rain induced fever which had left her a bit dazed and compliant.

It's a bit creepy that he falls in love with her because she reminds him of his long lost, 'fallen', dead love. Plus he's a bit intense, the laughs wouldn't be forthcoming and I'll warrant he expected her to do all kinds of dark shit in the bedroom.

Ideally she'd have had another couple of seasons in London and met lots of nice suitors or maybe even nipped across to Pride and Prejudice and married that nice Colonel Fitzwilliam.

ThursdayLast Sun 01-Sep-13 10:24:09

True that, he's flipping gorgeous smile

AndHarry Sun 01-Sep-13 08:49:22

Thanks! Now, if I could just merge the two to get RPJ on the good version... grin

ThursdayLast Sat 31-Aug-13 22:46:20

AndHarry

It's ace!
gringringringrin
Lovely and understated, Building slowly, enjoying the misunderstandings and the silly characters.

The ending is a bit naff, but not as bad as the other one.

Watch out for Anne's fringe height as a measure of her bloom!

AndHarry Sat 31-Aug-13 10:09:41

Let me know. I only ordered it because I googled RPJ first so I suppose I got my just desserts!

ThursdayLast Sat 31-Aug-13 07:18:52

Oh I am really sorry sad.
I hated that adaptation, it's on,y saving grace is RPJ, you're right.
I ordered the 90s version, which I'm planning on settling down with tonight, I hope I have a better time of it

AndHarry Fri 30-Aug-13 22:46:55

I'm so indignant I've forgotten how to do emoticons...

AndHarry Fri 30-Aug-13 22:45:54

OI! I have a bone to pick with you lot. I just spent my Fruday evening watching the 2007 Persuasion, ordered from Amazon after being on this thread. You owe me an evening of my life (you can knock off the minutes where Rupert Penry-Jones is centre stage grin). What was that kiss about?! Anne was gasping like a beached goldfish and I spent the whole 92 minutes willing her to close your mouth confused]

ThursdayLast Thu 29-Aug-13 15:45:12

Yaaaaaaay!

My copy of Persuasion has arrived!

smilesmilegrinsmilegrinsmilegrinsmile

ThursdayLast Tue 27-Aug-13 23:04:43

Amazing! Thanks!

squoosh Tue 27-Aug-13 23:02:24

Oh yes, I think her name was Griselda or something like that? I'd forgotten about her and her religious pamphlets. grin

Pachacuti Tue 27-Aug-13 23:01:00
TheOriginalSteamingNit Tue 27-Aug-13 22:58:25

What is the name of the awful woman in The mooonstone who keeps putting pamphlets everywhere? She's brilliant: that's the most I've genuinely laughed at 'proper' literature, I think!

edam Tue 27-Aug-13 22:50:40

Another vote for the Tenant of Wildfell Hall here - it's chilling to realise how much she was at the mercy of nasty ex.

NuggetofPurestGreen Tue 27-Aug-13 19:10:36

Thursday you can probably get a cheapo version of TTOWH, Penguin Popular Classics or something for a pound. Or ebook for free if you have an ereader or a smartphone!

I only read it a couple of years ago and I didn't know anything about it before that either (and have an English degree also). It is the best Bronte though, I don't like about Emily either although do like Charlotte.

ThursdayLast Tue 27-Aug-13 17:18:30

Couldn't quite bring myself to spend half my book token on TTOWH today, sorry everyone!

I tried to remember the book about Austens book but couldn't, so will have to order online...will look up thread to find it smile

I've read Armadale but found it very long winded - too akin to Dickens for my liking, that one.

GrendelsMum Mon 26-Aug-13 18:04:48

Maybe we should hold an Armadale online book club?

sheridand Mon 26-Aug-13 17:58:55

I have never managed all of Armadale either, the only one i've not got through.

sheridand Mon 26-Aug-13 17:58:37

Mercy Merrick in the New Magdalen. Great names!

squoosh Mon 26-Aug-13 17:45:48

I haven't tackled Armadale yet but it's on a bookshelf somewhere so no excuse. It's been a while since I read any of his books so might give it a whirl.

GrendelsMum Mon 26-Aug-13 17:42:37

Reformed prostitutes, sheridand? I can't remember who that is...?

What do people think about Armadale? Sadly, despite having an excellent villainess, I find it goes on a bit.

squoosh Mon 26-Aug-13 17:40:44

Fat Italian baddies with mice in their trouser pockets!

Pachacuti Mon 26-Aug-13 17:39:34

My name is Pachacuti and I too prefer TTOWH to either Wuthering Heights or Jane Eyre. This is the sort of opinion I feel nervous about sharing in polite circles but I feel I am among friends here.

I have also never managed to finish Mansfield Park because I find Fanny so annoying. But now I'm reading What Matters In Jane Austen (which I recommend, by the way) I will have another attempt in order to notice the details discussd there.

sheridand Mon 26-Aug-13 17:36:26

Yep, you can't fault Wilkie Collins for excellently overblown characters! Crazy legless people, false imprisonment in asylums, opium addicts,reformed prostitutes, shady beauty shop owners, villanous husbands, it's all there.

squoosh Mon 26-Aug-13 17:31:25

No Name is great and Moonstone is also good although that Rachel Verrender was a bit annoying, why didn't she just say what she saw from the start.

I'm surprised too that WIW hasn't had a decent adaptation done yet, it would lend itself perfectly to an adaptation done in the style of the BBC's Bleak House. It swings from cliffhanger to cliffhanger.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now