To feel sorry for 'pet' monkeys?

(74 Posts)
Sanctimummy Wed 21-Aug-13 23:07:32

A FB friend acquaintance has posted pics of "Her new baby" that she is getting in a week or so from a work colleague. Including pictures of the cage she has set up at home. She has gone all out and must have bought every monkey toy out there and the cage isn't tiny or anything. But it's not huge either.

I was looking at the pics and just felt so sorry for the wee thing. It's a marmoset monkey, tiny, clasped onto it's mummy in the pictures. No idea that it's going to be taken from her very soon and never see another monkey again for the rest of it's life...

She has children and I guess it will get lots of attention. I still just don't think monkeys should be kept as pets. Really doesn't sit right with me at all. I read that they are very hard to look after properly and 99/100 times they end up aggressive in adulthood due to not being brought up naturally.

I see a very sad future for this wee thing.

AIBU?

TylerHopkins Wed 21-Aug-13 23:09:49

I feel so sad reading this. It's so wrong.

chirpchirp Wed 21-Aug-13 23:10:18

Where do you live OP? Is that even legal in the UK?

TylerHopkins Wed 21-Aug-13 23:11:41

Just about to ask that myself chirp grin

Sanctimummy Wed 21-Aug-13 23:13:20
Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Wed 21-Aug-13 23:14:19

Someone I know apparently wants a small monkey as a pet. Apparently it's her dream pet. She's going to have it's teeth removed so it can't bite anyone. And have it on a long line so it can't escape the house.

hmm hmm hmm

TylerHopkins Wed 21-Aug-13 23:15:35

Some people are so bloody selfish, makes me so angry

Sanctimummy Wed 21-Aug-13 23:15:51

I have a feeling this FB friend's hubby doesn't want anymore kids or something so this is her 'new baby'...

I feel sad sad

TylerHopkins Wed 21-Aug-13 23:18:25

Bloody hell, can she not take in a stray dog or something. There are enough animals in need of rehoming as it is.

squoosh Wed 21-Aug-13 23:18:28

YANBU

As with so many issues I blame that little scrote Justin Bieber, he had an ever so cute pet monkey that he just loved and adored...................that is till he got bored of it and dumped it whilst touring Germany.

Monkeys should not be kept as pets.

olidusUrsus Wed 21-Aug-13 23:21:33

Awful and sadly totally legal sad

Sanctimummy Wed 21-Aug-13 23:24:42

I really wanted to say something. First I just commented saying

Me: 'are you only getting 1?'

Her: 'Yes.'

Me: 'looks like you are well prepared'

Her - no response.

Me: 'Aw look at him holding on to his mummy, bet he'll miss her, you'll be his mummy soon, hope he settles in well at yours'

Her - no response

I'm such a fanny I should just say what I think..

McNewPants2013 Wed 21-Aug-13 23:25:17

I really wanted a pet monkey about 8 years ago and the more I researched the more I felt like it was cruel.

Monkeys tend to leave there mums at around 4-6 years ( they breastfeed until then)

BikeRunSki Wed 21-Aug-13 23:25:39

Awful. The Wooly Monkey Sanctuary in Looe is full of rescued pet monkeys, all with awful tales to tell. I don' t understand how anyone would ever think that a domestic setting was the right place for a monkey.

Remotecontrolduck Wed 21-Aug-13 23:31:09

Oh my god that's so wrong. Get a cat or a guinea pig, they're just as cute and actually suitable as pets.

What is wrong with some people? How can they be so stupid/selfish/ignorant they think a monkey could be a suitable pet? sad

NatashaBee Wed 21-Aug-13 23:31:40

YANBU. I used to keep reptiles and knew a few people who kept all manner of exotic animals - but we were all in agreement that monkeys were not good pets.

hickerybobp Wed 21-Aug-13 23:32:43

It isn't illegal with the correct paperwork and licenses, also it's different if they are captive bred. Although I don't agree that just anybody should be allowed to own one, I do think exotic animals can have a place in "private collections", but only those who research the idea thoroughly, keep them similarly to how they would in a zoo (huge runs/pens etc) and also have masses of money and time to dedicate to it, and are also bonkers enough to attempt it!

Alisvolatpropiis Wed 21-Aug-13 23:33:56

Yanbu

YANBU. It should be illegal sad

Sanctimummy Wed 21-Aug-13 23:34:55

You don't even need a licence for a marmoset.

Eilidhbelle Wed 21-Aug-13 23:36:16

YANBU, it's horrible. Can't believe it's legal here - dont think it is in the US? I'm sure someone will correct me, but was it not made illegal after that horrible story of the woman's face being attacked by her friend's monkey?

MummyDuckAndDuckling Wed 21-Aug-13 23:38:20

shock Shocking that this is legal!

sashh Thu 22-Aug-13 06:01:17

It isn't illegal with the correct paperwork and licenses, also it's different if they are captive bred. Although I don't agree that just anybody should be allowed to own one, I do think exotic animals can have a place in "private collections", but only those who research the idea thoroughly, keep them similarly to how they would in a zoo (huge runs/pens etc) and also have masses of money and time to dedicate to it, and are also bonkers enough to attempt it!

Which i why I think Brian Blessed's animal sanctuary must be great.

FridaKarlov Thu 22-Aug-13 08:13:01

Poor baby monkey sad

Sanctimummy Thu 22-Aug-13 10:10:40

That's the point though isn't it sashh

Brian Blessed has a sanctuary

Not a 3 up 2 down in a small town and just 1 little monkey fresh from it's mama's arms..

I'm 99.9% sure this marmoset will end up in a sanctuary some day in a few years time, or worse.. never be allowed out of it's cage because one day it got aggressive with one family member or another. Spending the rest of it's life in a 3m by 2m cage. Forever. They live at least 20 years!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now