To think this woman should keep her comments to herself?

(62 Posts)
Babybunny88 Wed 21-Aug-13 20:13:59

A woman from my work is pregnant and we are having a baby shower for her this weekend. I bought her some lovely romper suits, socks and a blanket from F and F at Tesco. Was showing the girls from work them and they all said they were lovely, very cute etc. all except one girl in the corner who basically stuck her nose up at them and said "imagine buying baby presents from Tesco. Don't think I'd want people to think I was being cheap." I was gobsmacked and utterly humiliated! The other girls didnt know where to look and neither did I! I would buy lots of baby things from tesco for my own DD and there's nothing wrong with them. Snobby bitch!

Funghoul Fri 23-Aug-13 22:29:23

Asda has some lovely bits in at the minute and I'm going to look in tesco next week. I only bother with next and mothercare when there's a sale. Dd is still in fancier clothes than I would normally buy, but shes only 3 months old and still in clothes that people bought us. Have a lovely coat from junior j for her, I was a bit taken aback that my aunt had spent so much on a coat for a baby as well as several outfits and felt a bit embarrassed that I buy her daughters childrens presents from supermarkets!

madmomma Fri 23-Aug-13 22:22:32

Wow! Cuntishness knows no bounds!

I just ordered clothes for my DC's from tesco online... with double up clubcard vouchers too!!!

I would love to know how much the polite so and so donated to the fund!!!

Buswanker Fri 23-Aug-13 21:48:45

I often buy new babies a bundle of nappies and wipes and nappy sacks as someone bought them as a gift for me/my first born.
I am truly grateful for any gift but once you have one child you soon learn a baby uses so many nappies you always need more but they soon grow out of fancy clothes.
I would prefer nappies or Tesco clothes and blankets that are practical and comfy than an overpriced 'designer' brands anyway. A waste of money in my opinion and that woman was so bloody rude!

mumofweeboys Fri 23-Aug-13 21:32:24

All my friends gifts were from supermarkets, guess they aren't snobby enough lol

Platinumstart Thu 22-Aug-13 08:14:31

Your colleague was rude - I don't really understand why you didn't say something.

Having said that personally I wouldn't buy a gift from Tesco's. I don't think it's a matter of being snobby - I buy my own DCs things from all over - but when I give a gift I like to give something that people wouldn't necessarily buy for themselves. IMO gifts should be treats not basics.

Sallypuss Thu 22-Aug-13 08:05:31

I received some beautiful things from the Tesco Florence and Fred range from my team at work and they are beautiful. To be honest I was more touched that they'd gone to the trouble of buying me gifts as opposed to where they'd come from. Ignore the shallow woman who's missed the point of gift giving!

Amrapaali Thu 22-Aug-13 07:54:40

I'm going to play devil's advocate here, but I think that woman has a point. See, it is a GIFT. so it should look as though you have put some thought into it, have a touch of luxury. It must be something the recipient wouldn't ever buy for themselves. I'm sure you spent some time actually browsing, feeling the blanket etc, but when she receives it, it may come across as, having just been pulled off the shelf and paid for along with milk and bread.

You needn't break the bank. There is some good stuff out there with an attached "snob" value, that is still cheap as chips and comparable to Teaco clothing. Looky here.

Of course, your colleague was beyond rude to actually comment on your purchases. Sometimes it feels like people's tongues are not connected to their brains... Idiots.

TallulahBetty Thu 22-Aug-13 07:41:53

What a bitch. I can't believe no one commented?!

PoppyAmex Thu 22-Aug-13 07:40:54

She must be very insecure.

ConcreteElephant Thu 22-Aug-13 07:37:32

One of my favourite gifts for DS was a pale blue with white stars fleecy snow suit type thing - except it wasn't padded, just light fleece. It was soft and perfect for being comfy but not overheated in the car seat or pram. It was from Tesco and I was gutted when he grew out of it.

I've had very nice Tesco fleece baby blankets too. DD gets quite a bit from there, she lived in a £4 denim skirt last Autumn/Winter/Spring. A similar skirt from Jojo cost £14. DD's is still in good nick to pass on.

Ignore the rude woman OP, your gift is perfectly lovely. And will almost certainly be used more than anything 'designer'.

Maggietess Wed 21-Aug-13 23:56:29

piglet and princess lol at the baby dressed in a Muslim.

Reminded my, my DB and his wife were having a PFB and he'd been asking me lots of questions about what to get... Then one day announced he didn't understand the point of Muslims.... Cue some horrified gasps and a wonder as to how we raised his racist in our family, and wondering what the hell that had to do with anything.... It was only when he went on to ask about whether they were any good for cleaning up milk and poo that the penny (eventually!) dropped with me!!
He still checks that he's saying it right ("what was it again... Muslins?!) grin

DeepPurple Wed 21-Aug-13 23:46:30

Babies aren't in clothes long enough to bother buying expensive stuff. Plus, the stuff that washes best comes from sainsbos, tescos and asda. Also, asda do the cute me to you stuff and loads of Disney stuff.

She was rude and obviously ignorant.

Misspixietrix Wed 21-Aug-13 23:46:27

*Woman. Sorry for typos on the phone ~

Misspixietrix Wed 21-Aug-13 23:45:10

Urgh! Snobby women. I Don't get the whole other Colleagues not saying nothing neither but as another Poster said most of the time it's not through fear it's through literally being too shocked to say something in your Defence. I'm the worst ofender for attempting at witty comebacks all I can do not to smack them one but even so I had a 'friend' comment on something so absurd it literally left me gobsmacked. Still stewing over it now actually! OP there's nothing wrong in Tesco's clothing love getting DC's stuff from there. I learnt the hard way with Dd. The first time I sent her to.Day Nursery in her Posh Clothes happened to be the same day they let her loose with a Paint Bush grin

mumofweeboys Wed 21-Aug-13 23:35:50

Lol I'm cheap and so must be all our relatives and friends as nearly every item of baby clothing I have is from a supermarket. I adore asda, stuff is so cute

OneUp Wed 21-Aug-13 23:32:34

I love tesco F&F and would have adored having some of it as a present for my daughter. It's all such good quality. What a rude bitch!

littlemog Wed 21-Aug-13 23:00:35

shock at Burberry baby clothes! Vile beyond belief.

NicknameIncomplete Wed 21-Aug-13 23:00:31

What else would u put on ur pooing, vomiting, fast growing baby if not cheap supermarket clothes?smile

Mia4 Wed 21-Aug-13 22:53:43

I got my flipflops and a nice skirt from Tesco, I must look really cheap smile Oh well.

Mia4 Wed 21-Aug-13 22:52:44

Honestly I'd laugh and if it ever comes around for collecting for X for birthday or getting any kind of presents I'd abstain on the grounds that 'she's a prat who wouldn't appreciate it anyway' or 'gosh i wouldn't want to embarrass myself by getting her something too low class, you know from tesco's or something.

Sounds like your workmates probably don't or won't now think much of her.

Babybunny88 Wed 21-Aug-13 22:09:38

Haha worra I remember singing that too at school! smile no this woman doesn't have any kids and is generally just a sarcastic, unpleasant shrew!

WorraLiberty Wed 21-Aug-13 21:50:41

Tescos clothes remind me of my childhood

< Sung to the tune of 'Let's all do the Conga' >

Let's all go to Tescos
Where Worra buys her best clothes
With Green Shield stamps
With Green Shield stamps.....

<< Adds nothing useful to thread >>

congresstart Wed 21-Aug-13 21:46:04

TU have some lovely clothes, my kids have stuff from there all the time.

ImNotABarbieGirl Wed 21-Aug-13 21:34:10

We get the vast majority of dd's clothes from supermarkets. Everybody comments on how lovely she looks ALL THE TIME!

We had to pretty much buy dd a whole new wardrobe last week after yet another growth spurt
4 pairs of legging
2 pairs of super soft jeans
6 long sleeved tops
3 short sleeved tops
2 sleep suits
Winter hat
Pack of 5 socks x3
Pepper pig trainers

We spent under 60.00. Its a no brainer. Plus its not all bloody pink and purple.
wink smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now