Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think this woman should keep her comments to herself?

(62 Posts)
Babybunny88 Wed 21-Aug-13 20:13:59

A woman from my work is pregnant and we are having a baby shower for her this weekend. I bought her some lovely romper suits, socks and a blanket from F and F at Tesco. Was showing the girls from work them and they all said they were lovely, very cute etc. all except one girl in the corner who basically stuck her nose up at them and said "imagine buying baby presents from Tesco. Don't think I'd want people to think I was being cheap." I was gobsmacked and utterly humiliated! The other girls didnt know where to look and neither did I! I would buy lots of baby things from tesco for my own DD and there's nothing wrong with them. Snobby bitch!

SayCoolNowSayWhip Wed 21-Aug-13 20:16:30

That's so rude! F&F baby stuff is lovely. I've never understood people who want to kit out their ever-growing child in 'designer' clothes. Ignore her. She knows nothing, silly cow

expatinscotland Wed 21-Aug-13 20:16:50

I'll never understand people who stand there and don't answer people who make statements like this. 'What a horrible thing to say? What possessed you? Guess there's no Immodium for verbal diarrhea.' Shrug.

LEMisdisappointed Wed 21-Aug-13 20:19:07

Now this was the time to roll out the mumsnet classic "Im sorry did you mean to be so rude?" or are you always such a cunt

Lj8893 Wed 21-Aug-13 20:19:34

What a bitch!!!

I'd like to think I would have made a comment back to her but I think I would have been stunned into silence at the sheer rudeness of it!

MisselthwaiteManor Wed 21-Aug-13 20:22:19

She sounds pathetic. I have some really lovely stuff from
supermarkets for my DD. I bet the rompers are adorable.

sparklekitty Wed 21-Aug-13 20:22:23

Jeeze, she'd love my DD, dressed head to toe in sainsburys, tesco and H&M!

They sound like lovely, thoughtful gifts as that's what matters. What a bitch

OnTheNingNangNong Wed 21-Aug-13 20:22:24

Some of the best baby clothes I have been given are from F&F and Tu. I would also be thankful for someone giving me a gift, I certainly wouldnt want or expect "labelled" childrenswear.

Silly cow.

Br0na Wed 21-Aug-13 20:22:25

I always say "I would hate to embarrass with to generous a gift" wink

People appreciate that consideration. grin

Lilacroses Wed 21-Aug-13 20:24:21

What a rude, pathetic woman! Your gifts sound perfect and I also got loads of baby stuff from Tesco.

LEMisdisappointed Wed 21-Aug-13 20:24:27

I bet she doesn't have children of her own!

Babybunny88 Wed 21-Aug-13 20:24:35

Thanks everyone for the replies couldn't believe the sheer cheek of her!

Sirzy Wed 21-Aug-13 20:25:53

I would have said "well anyone who pays a small fortune of items of clothing for a baby obviously has more money than sense!"

Hrrrm Wed 21-Aug-13 20:26:13

Then-DH's work colleagues gave us some lovely things from Tesco when DD was born. And his aunt and uncle as well. They were some of my favourite baby things actually.

I got all my baby stuff from Evil Ethel Austin's when they were little.

That was cheap! grin

ElleBelly Wed 21-Aug-13 20:31:32

Bitch. Ignore ignore ignore. Sounds v thoughtful and lovely present. When was shopping in primark for some baby-grows while pregnant I heard a woman l say "ugh, I'm going to dress MY baby in all designer clothes" G

ElleBelly Wed 21-Aug-13 20:32:26

Oops one handed typing! Wanted to tell her good luck, a go

wigglesrock Wed 21-Aug-13 20:33:08

Christ, all my kids stuff comes from Asda, Sainsbos & Tescos. I have no loyalty. I am in seventh heaven at the minute - have double up vouchers from Tescos & 25% off at Sainsburys smile

ElleBelly Wed 21-Aug-13 20:33:21

And again,dear me. Wanted to say good luck, a good deal of it will be shit stained by three months anyway!

ceeveebee Wed 21-Aug-13 20:37:37

I went to a baby shower recently and the mum-to-be's boss came, she bought a Burberry outfit with matching Burberry cap, and then said in front of everyone "which tight git bought the muslins". Er that would be me. Crass cow.

MrsCampbellBlack Wed 21-Aug-13 20:39:12

LEM - I loathe 'did you mean to be so rude' but I love 'did you mean to be such a cunt' grin

OP - the woman was rude, some people just have no social skills which is sad.

MrsCampbellBlack Wed 21-Aug-13 20:39:56

Ceeeveee - please tell me it wasn't the burberry check a la Daniella Westbrook and her baby?

SalaciousBCrumb Wed 21-Aug-13 20:40:08

I'd rather have muslins than that Burberry vomit-fest of an outfit.

Hermionewastherealhero Wed 21-Aug-13 20:41:36

How evil of her. The worst present we got for our baby was a really expensive designer outfit that I only put on him once and he promptly pooed all over. I just couldn't think where he would wear it!
The outfits I got from tesco, asda, matalan etc were on him all the time!

She has an odd take on gift giving. I would rather have useful things which I knew weren't ruinously expensive for a baby and would certainly rather have muslins than a Burberry outfit (but both would get a sincere thank you).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now