Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

AIBU to want to punch the mother I saw yesterday getting baby's ear's pierced?

(478 Posts)
ElleBelly Wed 21-Aug-13 11:59:35

Was in Claire's Accessories yesterday with my 4yo daughter, and there was a Mum getting baby's ear's pierced. Bab must have been about six months, and was screaming her head off, made me feel sick. Cannot for the life of me understand why people put their children through that at that age. It's so cruel. And mother was laughing with friends about it! Have got DS second lot of imms this week and dreading it, pathetic,over emitional,hormone befuddled woman I am, and just think its so wrong to put a baby through that pain uneccessarily.
Sorry for the rant but I so wanted to give her a slap.

AmberLeaf Fri 23-Aug-13 17:38:24

Yes one person quite early on, who was then pulled up on it by usualsuspect, who was going to say it after that?

The implication of it being 'common' [that old fashioned word for chavs] is running throughout this thread though as it always is, so I wasn't resurrecting anything.

AmberLeaf Fri 23-Aug-13 17:39:26

should have been a full stop after usualsuspect in the first line. would have made more sense.

justanuthermanicmumsday Sat 24-Aug-13 02:44:42

I think it's up to each parent to decide on the age their child should get pierced if at all. What's cheap about it? It doesn't look cheap at all. I think it looks unnecessary on babies and toddlers but not cheap nasty or any other degrading words.

I think a lot is about not understanding and respecting others cultural and religious views. we live in a society with many different cultures. Like it or not people will do things which you find odd or apparently barbaric. To them it's the norm to you it's abnormal. I think you should try mixing a bit and you may see their point of view.

I know it's not painful or permanent but in the late 90s I remember my mate was in an a level class with me, one which we commuted to a different secondary school for, since it was not offered at ours. One of the students saw her hand and said ew look at your hand. I looked down took a glance at my mates hand it was heavily decorated in mendi /henna. I was upset and angry. I said its mendi a non permanent dye and it looks gorgeous. Even then the west had heard of it but clearly not this student. Now today mendi is mentioned in magazines you see Caucasian women wearing it its all the rage as is threading. My point is well you figure it out.

PeriodMath Sat 24-Aug-13 02:53:51

Are you serious? Do you know that some cultures advocate cutting out the clitoris of little girls to make them pure and accepted in their community? Are you saying that such barbarism should be tolerated by the rest of us? And that anything goes so long as you can invoke your "culture"?

nicename Sat 24-Aug-13 08:40:32

Ahhh, that's getting into the minefield that is 'religion'.

FreudiansSlipper Sat 24-Aug-13 08:40:47

Why are you bring fgm in to this argument

she has not mentioned fgm at all but ear piercing young children is barbaric according to some on here

but if you are wanting changes to be made regarding fgm education on both sides is the key understanding why fgm is performed and so deeply rooted in some cultures

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 24-Aug-13 11:27:50

Ear piercing cannot be compared to fgm. You make yourself look ignorant comparing the two. HTH.

Ghanagirl Sat 24-Aug-13 12:44:02

Littlemog if you want to get personal I don't drink, although I don't judge those who do, my little girl is part ghanian, she is proud of her culture thinks she's beautiful and likes having her ears pierced, as do I, when you have a child I'm sure you will bring it up to be as perfect as you are and just as judgemental

Ghanagirl Sat 24-Aug-13 12:46:27

As for you being a teacher I actually find that really scary, really hope you don't teach in a school that has a diverse population of kids for you to pass judgement on.

littlemog Sat 24-Aug-13 13:44:42

GhanaGirl I find your posts rather rude rude and lacking in any sense. You are also pretty offensive to those who disagree with you.

*Lookingforwardtovino
Your post makes no sense have you been drinking, I know it's acceptable to binge drink in some cultures*

This is what YOU posted to another poster and why I made my remark to you. Apparently you are free to insult posters on here if they do not agree with you.

*Littlemog you don't have valid right to
Opinion as you think some people more deserving of respect than others you negate most of the world and also those in this country who don't belong to your class or sect or wherever it is you get your sense of superiority, would love to see you with an actual child rather than a essay theory*

I find your post pretty vile and judgemental in itself to be honest but don't let blatant hypocrisy hold you back will you?

And as for:
* when you have a child I'm sure you will bring it up to be as perfect as you are and just as judgemental*

Well words actually fail me. I do not need comments about my children or lack of children from you thanks. You know nothing about me and I have said nothing on this thread that is any worse or more judgemental than anyone else who disagrees with babies having their ears pierced and think that it doesn't look very nice. I am entitled to my opinion whether I have had a child or not.

Surely you should just be happy that you and your daughter think that pierced ears look 'beautiful'? Not everyone agrees with you and I am one of those people. Insulting me will not make me agree with you.

Your last comment to me:

As for you being a teacher I actually find that really scary, really hope you don't teach in a school that has a diverse population of kids for you to pass judgement on

is so far out of line that I am actually very angry. How bloody dare you?

littlemog Sat 24-Aug-13 13:45:18

Sorry - half of the bold quotations did not work but you can see what you wrote anyway.

DropYourSword Sat 24-Aug-13 14:08:49

Hey don't worry littlemog, when people have to resort to insults to argue their point they really lose their credibility. I totally see where you're coming from!

DameDoom Sat 24-Aug-13 14:14:30

littlemog. I have read your posts twice - just to ascertain why you are whipping boy du jour. Can't find any reason for the vilification. Agree with Dropyoursword.

babybarrister Colombia Sat 24-Aug-13 14:17:57

Yawn - let's have another thread on circumcision whilst we are about it too!

littlemog Sat 24-Aug-13 14:19:19

Thank you both. I know that I can be forthright as can many others on here but I think that the personal insults are unnecessary. confused

PeriodMath Sat 24-Aug-13 14:30:10

Alis, I am not ignorant. I only mentioned FGM because jusyanothermanic specifically implied we should be respectful of things people do in other cultures even if we find them barbaric.

I made a logical connection. Can't you see that?

PeriodMath Sat 24-Aug-13 14:32:08

Btw, putting HTH at the end of your post makes you look arrogant and patronising. It's really a pretty immature way of taking part in a discussion.

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 24-Aug-13 14:33:07

My apologies Periodmath I didn't realise you were responding directly to that post. Thought you were just throwing it out there as a direct comparison.

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 24-Aug-13 14:34:18

Ok, if you say so.

lurcherlieber Sat 24-Aug-13 15:00:48

Im with the OP and anyone who worries about how its a bit 'judgy' can fuck off for two reasons. The OP's post was perfectly reasonable and it was obvious she wasn't going to actually punch anyone but that doesn't stop certain ever-present weirdos on here from going over the top in defensiveness.

Oh and no i havent read the whole thread as i didnt want to read the same old shite over and over - just thought id add to it.

Op yanbu. That is all.

Ghanagirl Sat 24-Aug-13 15:06:33

Anyone who disagrees with OP is a weirdo, very mature. I bow out but remember the OP invited us to say whether she was being unreasonable I felt she was my opinion, just as valid as yours.

WafflyVersatile Sat 24-Aug-13 15:07:56

Don't like it myself. Why cause a baby pain or distress unnecessarily.

However babies also get vaccinations etc which also cause them pain and distress and from the baby's pov the experience is the same. Short-lived pain and distress with no lasting harm over and above what is unavoidable in life.

choccychoccylover Sat 24-Aug-13 15:11:21

this amounts to child abuse and should be illegal

PeriodMath Sat 24-Aug-13 15:18:29

Waffly, vaccinations are done for a baby's well-being. Most parents find it a really upsetting experience too, holding their baby down while pain is administered to it. We do it for vaccinations because we know there is a greater good - I cannot imagine doing it for reasons of vanity.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now