Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think I am NOT being racist if I say I am not attracted to a Pakistani person?

(430 Posts)
funkypigeon Tue 20-Aug-13 20:29:05

I am newly-ish single after a long marriage to a man from the Middle East.
I had a conversation with a few friends today, over coffee we got talking about types of men that we are attracted to. I said Mediterranean, Middle Eastern. Then I said I am not usually attracted to Asian men, and my friend said that was being racist.

I am shocked tbh. Am I? I've got loads of Asian friends, and colleagues. Just because I don't fancy them doesn't mean I would ever be rude or treat them differently.

Opinions please!

Altinkum Tue 20-Aug-13 21:41:47
ageofgrandillusion Tue 20-Aug-13 21:41:58

Threads like this always bring out the littlemog types. Tis very boring.

somersethouse Tue 20-Aug-13 21:47:14

I don't think it is racist. It is your preference that is all. It could change though! I used to HATE the thought of a hairy chest - now I love them.

I have a friend, two actually, they only fancy black men. They find white men wimpy. One has the most beautiful mixed race child and is trying for another and black men have always fancied her, always.

I like scruffy men, don't mind at all overweight men. Some people would hate that. I also don't mind bald men, I have a friend who hates bald - she put it on her dating profile and the abuse she got! She just does not fancy them but would love them as a friend.

The people saying about men preferring blondes, brunettes etc - all true... we all have our types, probably all part of genetic make-up.

carlywurly Tue 20-Aug-13 21:48:02

See, I wouldn't say it. Even if I thought it. Which I do, incidentally. I I would probably spin it to focus on what I did find attractive, rather than stating what I didn't.

But - I do tend to err on the side of pc caution much of the time tbh.

LessMissAbs Tue 20-Aug-13 21:49:41

Moche Not racist, just ignorant - I worked in N Pakistan where you find men with blue / green eyes and light hair & white skin (some even reminded me of Polish men!)

I don't, on the whole, fancy Polish men. Or not at least all the ones I've met recently. Theres a predisposition to a certain facial type that I don't find attractive. And if you think that phenotype is unrelated to genotype, then you don't know your biology!

I think the likliehood of me meeting a blue eyed fair skinned Northern Pakistani man is relatively rare and then being attracted to them above all the other blue eyed fair skinned Northern European men that I meet is almost nil. At any rate, any Pakistani with that phenotype is likely to be a descendant of Alexander the Great or his army, or to have some European ancestry because it isn't a spontaneous mutation or throwback - Asians are thought to have moved directly from early Homo Sapiens in the Great Rift Valley, and then proto-Europeans then emigrated from Asia to what is now Europe, both hundreds of thousands of years ago. Northern Europeans then adapted to conditions which would have included attractiveness for reproduction, so it would appear to be not unusual for Northern Europeans to be attracted to fair skinned fellow Northern Europeans, otherwise blond/e hair colour would not have evolved so successfully.

somersethouse Tue 20-Aug-13 21:49:53

Ehric - hilarious! You are so funny. Nobody could argue with you with that selection of gorgeousness! grin

somersethouse Tue 20-Aug-13 21:53:15

Also deleting browsing history. smile

comingalongnicely Tue 20-Aug-13 21:53:53

To save aggro in the future you could just say "I've never seen an Asian man that attracts me" the handbag clutchers won't have anything to moan about then....

Latara Tue 20-Aug-13 22:00:26

Pakistani men all look different and vary in skin colour, eye and hair colour though? For example Balochs, Punjabis and Pashtuns are all different.

Latara Tue 20-Aug-13 22:01:27

Personally I don't rule out any men unless they are nasty bastards or total freaky weirdos.

MrsKoala Tue 20-Aug-13 22:02:22

I have only ever fancied very pale skinned men. So no one black, asian, middle eastern, south european etc. I can appreciate they aren't ugly and that others fancy them but i just don't. None of those that Ehric posted do anything for me, in fact i find some of them girly or creepy looking (not because of their race btw). So i think i can safely predict i will not find anyone who isn't blue tinged, like me, attractive. I like to think of myself as more of a narcissist than a racist.

Sanctimummy Tue 20-Aug-13 22:06:30

You aren't racist at all because you don't usually fancy white/pakistani/asian/black men. Or whatever.

It's just like me saying 'I don't usually go for ginger guys'

It's about your type, what you are attracted to. Nothing to do with being bloody racist. I wouldn't ever date a chinese guy, because I don't find myself attracted to them. That's my sexual preference, it's my taste. I am not racist.

pigletmania Tue 20-Aug-13 22:11:07

It's up to you who you are attracted to, yanbu that's your tastes and you're entitled to them!

itsonlysubterfuge Tue 20-Aug-13 22:11:13

why isn't Pakistan part of the middle east?

OhDearNigel Tue 20-Aug-13 22:12:19

I like tall, strapping redheaded men. Ergo i've never found any asian men attractive. That doesnt make me racist, it just means that there are few redheaded asian men in circulation

OhDearNigel Tue 20-Aug-13 22:16:02

Otoh if i were gay then bring on the Indian women. Gorgeous !

DavidHarewoodsFloozy Tue 20-Aug-13 22:16:38

No preference me, not fussy. Always wanted to just shag the World ( ethnically speaking).

I gave it a good bash, debagged a man on every continent <proud>.grin

DavidHarewoodsFloozy Tue 20-Aug-13 22:19:03

That,s a lie, not Antartica.<dials B.A books ticket>.

EmmaGellerGreen Tue 20-Aug-13 22:24:11

I have Asian friend who has always said that she finds Asian men unattractive. Not sure how that could make her racist?

I don't think its racist at all. Especially as its a not usually. I'm not usually attracted to black men, but then a few have certainly turned my head. An old colleague, on the other hand, is usually attracted to black men not white men. We're both white. I don't think either are racist at all, its just what we tend to like.

It would be racist if you said you would never date someone purely because they we're both x race. People get turned on and attracted to whatever and whoever they do.

StuntGirl Tue 20-Aug-13 22:28:21

I think labelling an entire race unattractive is..well, weird if not racist.

Grossly misquoting there; the actual statement was:

"Then I said I am not usually attracted to Asian men"

Yep, and her title was "AIBU to think I'm not being racist if I say I am not attracted to Pakistani person".

If you're not attracted to this person because they're Pakistani = racist. Finding an entire race unattractive is racist.

If you're not attracted to this person because they're not your type/their personality is shitty/whatever = not racist. In which case bringing their race into it is irrelevant. So bringing it up seems kinda weird...or racist.

musicismylife Tue 20-Aug-13 22:36:40

My friend is white and has only ever dated black men. Does that make her `racist? hmm

Or, let me guess, she must have some kind of fetish, as her mum so kindly told her.

I do not fancy Chinese or Pakistani or Indian men. Fact

I like very black men ( think the Ugandan guy who won marathon this weekend)
I like very white men with red hair\freckles (think borris Becker). It is what floats my boat and whoever thought to equate what we find attractive or don't find attractive as some how racist, seems, well just silly.

LynetteScavo Tue 20-Aug-13 22:36:48

I'm trying not to out myself here...

One of my parents is of a certain race. I don't fancy anyone from one of that race. By anyone, I mean at the grand old age of 40, I've never met or seen anyone from that race I fancy.

According to some posters on this thread that makes me racist.

Go figure.

There is another race I also don't find sexually attractive.

And yet another where I often find myself thinking "phwar".

I also don't fancy women. Ever.

I must be sexist.

WMittens Tue 20-Aug-13 22:37:40

DavidHarewoodsFloozy

That,s a lie, not Antartica.<dials B.A books ticket>.

At least the males are always well dressed in Antartica {sic}.

MrsKoala Tue 20-Aug-13 22:38:14

So is saying 'i don't fancy black guys' racist then?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now