Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think I am NOT being racist if I say I am not attracted to a Pakistani person?

(430 Posts)
funkypigeon Tue 20-Aug-13 20:29:05

I am newly-ish single after a long marriage to a man from the Middle East.
I had a conversation with a few friends today, over coffee we got talking about types of men that we are attracted to. I said Mediterranean, Middle Eastern. Then I said I am not usually attracted to Asian men, and my friend said that was being racist.

I am shocked tbh. Am I? I've got loads of Asian friends, and colleagues. Just because I don't fancy them doesn't mean I would ever be rude or treat them differently.

Opinions please!

MyBaby1day Tue 03-Sep-13 02:01:37

It's not racist in itself no, as long as you aren't saying offensive things about them as people. I am also not attracted to black and Pakistani men. I usually go for white guys but as feminine rightly said, you never know who may be waiting around that corner, I am now smitten with a tanned Romanian man!. But no, YANBU.

MyBaby1day Tue 03-Sep-13 02:02:19

Feminine

DropYourSword Tue 03-Sep-13 04:26:47

I don't think so. I'd happily say I'm not attracted to other women but it doesn't make me sexist!

SubliminalMassaging Tue 03-Sep-13 06:03:34

That test was fascinating. It told me I had a 'slight' preference for European children compared to African-American, which I would say did not surprise me, as I am white and not racist, or at least not consciously so, but I accept that everyone probably has some degree of latent racism.

Blueberryveryberry Sat 07-Sep-13 19:35:32

Test said I have a moderate automatic preference for fat people.And I am not fat (not that it matters).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now