to think Caroline Lucas is fantastic

(59 Posts)
kim147 Tue 20-Aug-13 19:22:09

What with her recent contribution to the Page 3 debate in the House of Commons and her recent arrest at a sit in about fracking - she's just great.

You might not agree with her politics but she certainly has passion.

BangOn Thu 22-Aug-13 18:10:43

Flatpackhamster - and how many MWs is Fukushima generating nowadays exactly? Not so reliable now, is it?! hmm

flatpackhamster Thu 22-Aug-13 18:19:03

BangOn

Flatpackhamster - and how many MWs is Fukushima generating nowadays exactly? Not so reliable now, is it?!

I don't imagine there are many power plants that would be able to generate after an earthquake and a tsunami.

Fukushima's problem (as you no doubt know) was that it ran out of coolant due to the destruction of the infrastructure after the tsunami. It could have withstood the earthquake - Japanese reactors are designed to. At its peak, apparently, it could generate nearly 4,700MW. Two of the six reactors are still operational, although they are currently shut down. The remaining four are decomissioned after the meltdown.

flatpackhamster Thu 22-Aug-13 18:19:41

Amused that you think "OMG Power plant destroyed by tsunami is PROOF OF UNRELIABILITY OF NUKULEAR!!!111!".

cumfy Thu 22-Aug-13 20:31:14

I think we need more politicians like Caroline Lucas, who have a longview.

Politics is riddled with egotistical short-termism.

BangOn Thu 22-Aug-13 21:00:51

You're right, flatpack, you've convinced me we should all learn to stop worrying and embrace nuclear power. and nuclear waste. and all the world's future Chernobyls, because godawful accidents hardly ever happen, and hey, what's a few hundred thousand gallons of highly radioactive water between friends?

flatpackhamster Thu 22-Aug-13 21:34:21

BangOn

You're right, flatpack, you've convinced me we should all learn to stop worrying and embrace nuclear power. and nuclear waste. and all the world's future Chernobyls, because godawful accidents hardly ever happen, and hey, what's a few hundred thousand gallons of highly radioactive water between friends?

Chernobyl can't happen again. Nobody ever built those kinds of reactors except the Soviets. The design was flawed from the outset because the Soviets were always prepared to risk any number of people's lives in order to achieve an end that the State wanted.

MiniTheMinx Fri 23-Aug-13 00:19:28

flatpackhamster, you are obsessed with communism, more so than me grin I rarely mention it but you never stop talking about it.

“We've done an analysis and it's a very small…at the most it's a very small percentage…basically insignificant,” said Mark Linder, a public relations executive at Bell Pottinger who is also responsible for Cuadrilla's corporate development. www.independent.co.uk/environment/green-living/cuadrilla-pr-man-admits-george-osbornes-shale-gas-revolution-wont-cut-energy-bills-8656246.html

Any savings will not be passed to consumers and the cost of clearing up the environmental damage will be met by tax payers, whilst the companies themselves are being given millions of pounds in tax payers money as subsidies.

"The only way it could be cheaper would be if the government sought to penalise gas imports through higher duties, which would be illegal under EU and World Trade Organisation rules. As for energy security, it is absurd to imply that gas extracted from the Norwegian sector of the North Sea is less secure than from the UK sector, unless you expect FT readers to believe that Norway could be overthrown by a hostile regime"
liberalconspiracy.org/2013/08/12/banker-destroys-argument-for-shale-gas-in-a-short-letter/

Unless we are starting a war with Russia or intend to piss off Norway we do not have a security issue.

flatpackhamster Fri 23-Aug-13 14:51:21

MiniTheMinx

So - the Independent claim Greenpeace claim that the PR guy for the oil company claimed that gas prices won't fall.

Not a very authoritative source.

Unless we are starting a war with Russia or intend to piss off Norway we do not have a security issue.

Your idea of a good time might be to be in hock to the Russians and at their beck and call for oil and gas. Mine isn't. Energy security and independence are worthwhile goals in themselves, and weakening the power of an aggressive dictatorship who don't have the UK's interests at heart is another one.

"The only way it could be cheaper would be if the government sought to penalise gas imports through higher duties, which would be illegal under EU and World Trade Organisation rules. As for energy security, it is absurd to imply that gas extracted from the Norwegian sector of the North Sea is less secure than from the UK sector, unless you expect FT readers to believe that Norway could be overthrown by a hostile regime"

The fact that Mr Brown claims that the government should be 'aiming' to 'decarbonise' the economy shows you where he's coming from. The letter is clearly written from the perspective of an AGW evangelist.

And did it ever occur to you that his bank might be heavily invested in the renewables sector? The last thing they would want is the UK government cutting subsidies in that area and reducing the UK's dependence on renewables. No, of course it didn't -as it clearly hasn't occurred to any of the bonkers climate fundamentalists who are passing that link around the internet like it's on fire.

bemybebe Fri 23-Aug-13 19:12:06

I cannot see who wrote this but seriously, do you not follow the news at all? There were numerous gas supply issues from Russia with some major disruptions all across Europe as a result.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now