to feel so sorry for kids growing up in this social media era

(122 Posts)
whitesugar Tue 20-Aug-13 14:36:29

I am devastated for that young girl at the concert in Slane. My teenagers have just told me that she is no. one trend on Twitter. One mistake by a 17 year old and it goes worldwide. I am distraught for her and fearful for her safety. Also appalled that the boy is seen as a hero and she is vilified. Sometimes I just despair.

ageofgrandillusion Tue 20-Aug-13 16:10:52

YABU. Im sorry but wtf was she doing? If you do something like that in public, well it's tough titty re the consequences.

TheOnlyPink Tue 20-Aug-13 16:16:32

Saw on twitter that the girl was admitted to hospital last night. I don't know how true it is, but I hate to think what had happened.

I have two sons who are still very young and I am terrified to think what way their society will be when they are teenagers. I can't rule their lives, I just hope I can teach them right from wrong in time!

FondantNancy Tue 20-Aug-13 16:28:48

Awful. Poor girl. I hope she's ok.

I won't even put pictures of my DCs on FB. I think everyone should have a choice as to whether they're online. But when they become teenagers ... who knows what'll happen. Will have to step up my paranoid ranting education about keeping safe online.

Mintyy Tue 20-Aug-13 16:42:19

I think kids will cotton-on soon enough.

When my dd is old enough I would show her the newspaper coverage as food for thought.

TheOnlyPink Tue 20-Aug-13 16:52:12

Fondant, I don't put pics of my kids up either. People think I'm weird and paranoid or else they think I don't understand the fb settings and try to explain. I just don't feel comfortable with it as I don't know every single person I'm friends with really well.

FondantNancy Tue 20-Aug-13 16:55:33

Yep, same here TheOnly. Most of my friends/family respect our choice but I know a few people eyeroll. Don't care. And I don't think FB settings protect you from anything - look at FB's track record. Who knows what will happen in the future.

<removes tinfoil hat>

garlicagain Tue 20-Aug-13 16:55:35

I can remember several drunken exploits that I would be blush to have posted online.

OMG, me too. I didn't stop at 21, either blush

Just another aspect of this - I once had a short, highly energetic, fling with a guy who filmed it all. I didn't know he had until some of his friends told me. That was a small group of people & I had no further dealings with them. Apparently the dick sold his films but, again, it was unlikely to impact on my daily life.

Using social media, people like him can absolutely wreck a person's life within days. It's just another area young people need to learn caution. It's a pity, as learning caution means learning cynicism.

On the other hand, social media does enhance all our lives in myriad ways, too. Maybe it's not so much "worse" as "different".

NewAtThisMalarky Tue 20-Aug-13 16:58:23

If you are devastated by it being spread online, op, why are you spreading it further? Surely you by doing so are part of the problem?
I wasn't aware of it, but wont be clicking the link or posting further.

ARealDame Tue 20-Aug-13 16:59:42

Worrying. Methinks a lecture to my teenage son as he grows on dangers of social media sad.

However, we have all behaved recklessly esp. with alcohol and would such knowledge be enough of a barrier, especially with exploitative or unpleasant friends/media...

MrsOakenshield Tue 20-Aug-13 17:04:24

I think we should be teaching our DC not to take photos of everything they see and post it online! I know you can say she did this in public so what does she expect but I also think that it wasn't actually necessary to photograph or film it!

emmelinelucas Tue 20-Aug-13 17:05:06

I was bullied terribly at school, I wouldn't have been able to cope with being bullied online too, on Facebook, etc.
Home was where I could get a modicum of peace.
On the other hand, I enjoy MN, it's the only forum I go on, so there are good things about social media.
I still wouldn't facebook, for fear my bullies found me.
They won't have suddenly turned into nice people.
That poor girl, she must have been drunk, surely and shame on the lads watching. Haven't any of them got female relatives of about the same age ? Would they watch them ?

Sanctimummy Tue 20-Aug-13 17:05:29

She looked like she knew she was being photographed. She was giving head in a VERY public place. Silly silly girl.

FondantNancy Tue 20-Aug-13 17:06:44

If you are devastated by it being spread online, op, why are you spreading it further? Surely you by doing so are part of the problem?

Don't you think this is worth discussion, NewAtThisMalarky? I didn't click the links either but I think it's a really good reminder about the dangers of social media and the need for educating our children (and ourselves).

whitesugar Tue 20-Aug-13 17:11:13

The sites my DC showed me were highly critical of the girl and lauded the boy as a 'legend'. I wanted to show some compassion for a young girl who had clearly made a big mistake. I also wanted to express how tough it is for young people growing up in a world where their activities are monitored so frequently. This incident was reported in The Sun, The Mirror, Irish and US media to name but a few. I certainly wasn't trying to spread it further.

zatyaballerina Tue 20-Aug-13 17:28:28

I feel so sorry for this poor girl, everybody makes mistakes when they're young, it's horrifying to think that kids nowadays can't do anything stupid without having it spread over social media to be bullied and degraded in front of the whole world. She didn't hurt anyone except herself, she does not deserve this public humiliation following her for the rest of her life, she doesn't deserve the abuse she's getting, this must be so traumatic for her, I hope she gets all the support she needs to overcome it.

It is a reminder for parents to drill into our children the importance of not doing anything in public you don't want the world seeing. Sadly that's the world we live in now.

I do think that people should be held legally responsible for posting images/videos that degrade, humiliate, distress, abuse others. Public bullying should not be tolerated.

NewAtThisMalarky Tue 20-Aug-13 17:30:42

I think issues regarding social media are very much worth discussing.

I'm just not sure that giving all the details of this specific case is the best way to do it, especially given the ops good intentions.

garlicagain Tue 20-Aug-13 17:33:56

I do think that people should be held legally responsible

Agreed. Since there are usually several onlookers recording at once, their videos would incriminate each other, surely?

FrigginRexManningDay Tue 20-Aug-13 17:40:08

She is sedated in hospital sad .

zatyaballerina Tue 20-Aug-13 18:12:10

That's awful Frigginsad, poor girl and her family, I really hope those cunts who posted and shared it around social media get their comeuppance for inflicting this suffering, it's so unnecessary and cruelangry

Mintyy Tue 20-Aug-13 18:15:14

"I do think that people should be held legally responsible for posting images/videos that degrade, humiliate, distress, abuse others. Public bullying should not be tolerated."

Couldn't agree more.

CorrineFoxworth Tue 20-Aug-13 18:26:10

Christ, the poor girl. It isn't just social media is it? She is behaved how our culture tells young women that "empowered" women should behave and is now being crucified for it.

ARealDame Tue 20-Aug-13 18:35:45

She is behaved how our culture tells young women that "empowered" women should behave and is now being crucified for it

Yes I agree, very sad for the girl, simply appalling.

FourGates Tue 20-Aug-13 18:49:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

whoopdewhoop Tue 20-Aug-13 18:50:51

How awful that it is only the girl who gets ridiculed, called a tramp, vilified. What about him?? He also took part in a public sexual act. He was hardly an innocent victim. But no, he's a 'legend'. It is sickening.

FourGates Tue 20-Aug-13 18:53:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now