Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Aibu to live off weetabix and tomato soup for the first trimester?

(120 Posts)
Poopyisapig Tue 20-Aug-13 14:25:14

Dh and I just had a row as apparently I am not looking after myself or the growing baby.

I'm 8 weeks and feeling like shit, constantly nauseous and throwing up. Actually, weetabix and to tomato soup in one day is a victory at the moment.

I hate the smell of everything else and even the thought makes me gag. He stands by the fridge shouting out "how about eggs? Tuna? Salad" and wonders why I run to the loo to throw up.

I want him to come down with a vomiting bug and then I will wave fried eggs under his nose and see how he bloody likes it.

AdoraBell Wed 21-Aug-13 14:52:09

Answer for any DH or DP, or other man who tells you it's only morning sickness so can't possibly continue into the afternoon.

The bloke who called it morning sickness has clearly never been pregnant.

Poopyisapig Wed 21-Aug-13 13:52:49

My first husband didn't get it at all.

He used to say "but it's morning sickness, you can't possibly still be sick after lunchtime". At least current dh is that much of a twat.

Am sipping on flat lemonade btw, as so many of you found it helped!

dutchyoriginal Wed 21-Aug-13 13:27:14

DH said it was called morning sickness, because it started in the morning and lasted untill the next morning <repeat ad nauseam> grin

I could have a bit more variety, but only if I grazed on little bites all day long. Also, salty crisps were a life saver at the end of most days.

My MS has started yesterday, which is almost exactly 2 weeks after DTD(confirmed by POAS)! shock

Dahlen Wed 21-Aug-13 12:45:58

Maryz - I was exactly the same after giving birth, but with heartburn. It went almost instantaneously. I think I was more overjoyed at losing the heartburn than I was gaining a baby! grin

OP, YANBU. I lived off brown rice smothered in soy sauce during the first trimester. It was the only thing I could face.

Today I've managed some salt & vinegar crisps. Think that might be all I manage today.

Last pregnancy I couldn't stand tap water and had to have flat lemonade, this time lemonade is unbearably sweet.

Poopyisapig Wed 21-Aug-13 12:32:21

Maryz I just stuck them in the toaster. They were ok actually and have so far stayed down.

I am so glad it's the holidays. Ds is at his fathers house until beginning of sept and I am off college. I only feel slightly human when I am laying flat on the bed.

Maryz Wed 21-Aug-13 12:07:10

I dunno about the waffles Poopy, you have to cook them hmm

I think the reason dd never ate too well is that I had to feed her for nine months on bland crap as I couldn't face the smell of real food cooking.

Poopyisapig Wed 21-Aug-13 09:54:11

I had weetabix as soon as I woke up this morning and I actually felt good for an hour or so.

Going to try some waffles a bit later.

Dobbiesmum Wed 21-Aug-13 09:52:52

Strawberry fruit corners and quavers all three times here for the first trimester!
Last time me and DH went out for an Indian after I had started to be able to keep normal food down, so I was round about 6 months and disparate for a nice meal out. Plus I love Indian food. I ordered the mildest thing on the menu, sat there, ate it, had a lovely time. An hour later DH is holding my hair back at the side of the road sighing 'well I did try to warn you'... grin
The night after I had DD2 at home he went out an bought the biggest Indian banquet he could find. I ate more of it than he did!

I lived off Walkers crisps for part of the first Tri with DD - this was before I knew I was pregnant and just attributed it to hangovers (yes, I was drinking before I knew, too) - student life blush so I wasn't taking vitamins at that point either.

I now have a beautiful 9 week old DD who doesn't appear to have been affected by that poor diet in the early days wink

Just listen to your own body and stick to your current diet. Better to be getting something down than vomiting at something healthy smile

Totesamazeballs Wed 21-Aug-13 09:36:33

And with DS it was Greek salad and most of that came up so basically he survived on not much and he is fine. smile whatever you can keep down I say!

Totesamazeballs Wed 21-Aug-13 09:34:07

Don't worry. My current diet is lemonade and the odd bit of yoghurt and cheese! I am still looking for safe foods but I might try those cup a soups....

MrsMook Wed 21-Aug-13 09:30:24

I had the all day mega-brunch nausea with DS1. Food was repellent. I survived on KFC, potnoodles and ginger cookies for 2-3 months. DS2 was easier. Some was luck of the draw, but it also helped that I'd learned to graze on whatever whim took my fancy so at least I wasn't caught in the too sick to eat cycle.

We went on holiday with MiL at 6 weeks when I was in the pasty phase. MiL is lovely, but she really couldn't understand how disgusting the thought of a sandwich was and that I NEEDED a greasy pasty. We managed to get one and I thought I did admirably when she piped up from the back of the car "I'm not suprised you feel sick eating all that grease". Fortunately DH defended my corner and explained that I'd feel worse if I ignored the urge. He'd learnt from DS1 when he was worried about my weightloss and rang my mum to check what I'd eaten one day.

It's common for the most nutritious foods to be least appetising. I was explaining that to a friend's husband recently as I took away her great plate of good food that was turning her stomach, and bought bite size bits back on a much less intimidating tea plate.

goodbyeyellowbrickroad Wed 21-Aug-13 09:25:59

Grrrrr!

Survived on apple crumble and then steak pies from the chippie. Not exactly a balanced diet but was all I could stomach.

DH ate salad and quiche for a couple of months as I couldn't bear the smell of anything cooking. I still sometimes feel a bit queasy when I smell onions cooking.

goodbyeyellowbrickroad Wed 21-Aug-13 09:23:46

Any food is better than nothing. For the first 4 and a half months I survived on ap

goodbyeyellowbrickroad Wed 21-Aug-13 09:22:57

Any f

partystress Wed 21-Aug-13 09:20:20

Better now than when you've had the baby. I was blush when my EBF PFB's pink stained nappies, which I was convinced were due to blood in urine, were traced to my excessive Heinz Cream of Tomato consumption!

Maryz Wed 21-Aug-13 09:19:24

There is a bright side.

After I had ds2 they gave me beef stroganoff with rice in the hospital. It tasted like gourmet food grin

It was amazing how the pukiness left immediately after he did.

I ate rice pudding out of the tin for the first three months, but progressed onto steak, orange juice and bread and butter pudding for the rest of it. Which is probably quite a good diet. Maybe I should try it now (though I suspect the weight-loss element might not be so good if I don't throw up half a dozen times a day).

GlitzPig Wed 21-Aug-13 09:17:06

Was sick till 28 weeks, then the sickness went and heartburn arrived hmm

I couldn't eat till after four in the afternoon, then managed to put away a few Dairylea triangles and some salt and vinegar Discos. Literally, that was it. Until later in the evening, when I'd have two tins of pineapple. Ds is fine grin

MTBMummy Wed 21-Aug-13 09:10:48

Poopy - I feel your pain, I hope the potato waffles stayed down.

I'm just coming out (I think) of the horrid nausea stage, which has plagued me since I was 3 weeks.

motherinferior Wed 21-Aug-13 09:02:04

There was a period where all I could keep down was Starbucks frappucinos and Starbucks muffins - clearly the totally chemical content mean there was nothing organic to reject...

DP was still living in Brussels half the week thank god - as his particular helpful suggestions centred on exercise. Yes, I swam a mile 3 times a week before he impregnated me but in the first 12 weeks all I could do was collapse into bed for the entire weekend, not saunter up the road to the pool.

littlewhitebag Wed 21-Aug-13 08:54:17

I lived on spreading cheese sandwiches and smokey bacon crisps when pg with my first. Mother and baby both did well!

mrsjay Wed 21-Aug-13 08:50:50

God yes! Plain tap water! The devils own urine! Nothing makes me feel more bilious!

It takes on a taste like nothing else when pregnant and burns on the way back up, I was told to sip on water when i was first pregnant <heave>

hackmum Wed 21-Aug-13 08:18:57

If you bring everything back up, what is even the point of trying to eat a proper meal? It makes no sense. Your DH has clearly forgotten what it's like to feel sick.

In evolutionary terms, it's a strange thing, isn't it? At the exact point when your developing baby probably needs loads of nourishment, many women can't keep anything down. Though they do say, don't they, that the baby takes what it needs from your reserves/

pianodoodle Wed 21-Aug-13 08:18:11

I lived on coco pops until 14 weeks, they still taste chocolatey when they come back up

That could be the new coco pops catchphrase you should write to them grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now