Aibu to live off weetabix and tomato soup for the first trimester?

(120 Posts)
Poopyisapig Tue 20-Aug-13 14:25:14

Dh and I just had a row as apparently I am not looking after myself or the growing baby.

I'm 8 weeks and feeling like shit, constantly nauseous and throwing up. Actually, weetabix and to tomato soup in one day is a victory at the moment.

I hate the smell of everything else and even the thought makes me gag. He stands by the fridge shouting out "how about eggs? Tuna? Salad" and wonders why I run to the loo to throw up.

I want him to come down with a vomiting bug and then I will wave fried eggs under his nose and see how he bloody likes it.

SaucyJack Tue 20-Aug-13 15:00:19

Kick him in the nuts.

My DP did make a few noises about all the shite I'm eating this pg, so I've been leaving the bathroom door open when I go to chuck up bile just so's he can truly grasp how fricking awful I feel.

SlinkyB Tue 20-Aug-13 15:02:32

OP have you been on to the Hyperemesis Support thread in the Pregnancy section? It's fantastic, and has some links to great websites on the first page (like pregnancy sickness support).

Sit him down in front of those websites for ten minutes and get him clued-up on HG, maybe he'll be more realistic and understanding then....

Poopyisapig Tue 20-Aug-13 15:11:43

I keep getting "how can you see into the future and know you'll feel sick at the Indian?".

Well, dickhead, I have to hold my breath just opening my own fridge. I cannot imagine sitting in an Indian and feeling fine.

ratbagcatbag Tue 20-Aug-13 15:15:39

Weetabix, pints and pints of crusha strawberry milkshake and pickled onion monster munch. I lost a stone (I do have it to lose ill add) nothing else for twenty weeks pretty much.

Silverlace Tue 20-Aug-13 15:27:26

I survived on cold toast. People thought it was a craving but it was all I could keep down!

Your Indian restaurant brings back memories of an ill advised meal in London's Chinatown in early pregnancy. Just walking down the street made me queasy.

Just tell him you can make your own choices and will eat what you want, when you want it as your body will do what is best for baby.

If he thinks you are rude not going out then so be it, he and his family will get over it.

pianodoodle Tue 20-Aug-13 15:33:20

Oh dear. Having read your subsequent posts I retract my earlier kind statements about your DH in favour of the stabbing!

AdoraBell Tue 20-Aug-13 15:35:01

I practically lived on fresh air for nearly 16 weeks with twins. You're doing well. Maybe suggest DH takes a daily high dose of estrogen and see how wide a variety of foods he fancieswink or march him along to the MW for a pep talk.

Egusta Tue 20-Aug-13 15:35:49

I lived on tinned peaches and vanilla ice cream for the first trimester.

if you take a supplement, i would not worry. In a few weeks you will be fine.

plummyjam Tue 20-Aug-13 15:38:04

Nope I lived on jelly and bird's custard for 3 months.

FirstStopCafe Tue 20-Aug-13 15:42:03

Plain hula hoops got me through the first trimester. I also declined a meal in an Indian restaurant because I knew I wouldn't be able to cope with the strong smells. YANBU

solarbright Tue 20-Aug-13 15:42:27

I survived on iced water and vitamin tablets, so I think you're doing great! March him into your midwife's office and have her spell it out for him. May your morning sickness be short-lived! It's hell.

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Tue 20-Aug-13 15:45:19

Let him read this thread! grin

Message to Poopy's husband: Stop being a dick head! You have no idea how bad morning sickness makes you feel. How about a little support?!

insanityscratching Tue 20-Aug-13 15:46:32

I lived on pickled onion space raiders and milky ways for pretty much all my last pregnancy. It was the only thing I could stomach. Dd was fit and well. Tell dh to get a grip or use his toothbrush to clean the loo in the hope he comes down with a vomiting bug and a dose of empathy.

ImATotJeSuisUneTot Tue 20-Aug-13 15:47:56

DP did this. Said he couldn't understand how even just the smell of things could make me feel sick. Had a mini rant about fruit and veg intake.

Then he waved an orange in my direction and I promptly threw up on him.

He never mentioned it again. grin

nenevomito Tue 20-Aug-13 15:51:04

I was hideously sick all the way through both pgs.

Go to the restaurant - throw up over him.

pianodoodle Tue 20-Aug-13 15:51:41

Interesting to read the funny things people lived on!

I currently can't go a day without cheese and tomato sandwiches.

AdoraBell Tue 20-Aug-13 15:57:35

It's actually rude of him to expect you to eat out and rude of PILs to want you to eat something that has a high aroma factor as well as complex recipes containing lots of items that may or may not make you throw up in an enclosed space where you can't get away from the smells. Doesn't matter what cuisine it is.

TeamEdward Tue 20-Aug-13 15:59:30

Have you tried ginger?

<runs and ducks for cover grin >

Poopyisapig Tue 20-Aug-13 16:03:40

See, the thing is, I know PIL will understand. Dh is just being an arse about it.

Poopyisapig Tue 20-Aug-13 16:04:45

Teamedward the amount of times I heard that when I was pregnant with ds. I don't know how I didn't kill someone!

AdoraBell Tue 20-Aug-13 16:06:05

Ginger actually helped me a bit, but it gave me heartburn. Still couldn't eat though. Garlic is my miracle cure OP chew a few garlic gloves and them DH big kiss <evil grin>

AdoraBell Tue 20-Aug-13 16:07:51

Maybe get MIL to chew his ear off have a word with DH?

wallpaperaddict Tue 20-Aug-13 16:10:10

I lived off fruit salad, Heinz spaghetti and tomato and butter bean soup for the duration of my pregnancy. Occasionally a slice of toast or dry breakfast cereal. Everything else smelt so vile, I couldn't even be in the kitchen whilst DH cooked for himself and DS. If I'd had to go to a restaurant I'd have physically been sick! Your DH is being ridiculous!

oscarwilde Tue 20-Aug-13 16:13:00

Leave the mayo on the radiator overnight and then make him some sandwiches for work....

Poopyisapig Tue 20-Aug-13 16:13:19

I'll try but she always talks about her pregnancies like a martyr - how she couldn't stand cooking smells and used to be sick while still preparing FIL meals from scratch. Sod that, dh is a grown adult can sort himself out while I am feeling this rough!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now