Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think Educating Yorkshire is a really bad idea?

(79 Posts)
GetStuffezd Tue 20-Aug-13 14:06:57

So, here's the trailer.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=8NQGPVv1wDU
It's basically showing the workings of a Yorkshire secondary school from day to day, going into classes and following certain teachers and pupils - from what I can gather anyway.
Is it just me who thinks it's a really bad idea? For parents, I can't imagine film crews in classes, encouraging children to "perform" is a popular idea. And as a teacher I would rather die than have my lessons disrupted with all that hassle. Maybe I'm being miserable but the whole thing seems a crazy idea to me, and possibly a massive ego trip on the part of the new Head.

Plus that teacher with the beard and messy hair irritated me after about 0.6 seconds.

coco27 Fri 06-Sep-13 18:50:58

beatback is spot on.
These children are going to one day be adults looking for jobs.
Would you as an employer want to hire someone who had a history of making false allegations of Racist abuse, for example?
The kids may well give their consent but they are too young to appreciate the ramifications.

yorkshirepuddings Mon 26-Aug-13 22:33:11

I'm a secondary teacher and the girl with the eyebrows cracks me up every time I see the trailer. There are so many moments like that every day - the kids are the best part of the job.

lade Mon 26-Aug-13 22:20:37

I'm looking forward to watching it.

The girl with the eyebrows just summed up everything about teaching for me (and everything I love about it too grin). A student will suddenly get something into their heads and out it comes. They don't stop to think, they just say what comes into their head; whether it is appropriate / relevant or not. Sometimes it can be challenging, sometimes fun, but always unexpected and that's the joy of teaching.

Darkesteyes Sun 25-Aug-13 23:31:12

I watched Educating Essex and am planning to watch this. However having recently doscovered that im dyscalculic watching the maths teacher yell DO SOME MATHS at that young blonde girl in the trailer gave me some 1980s flashbacks.....not good ones.

LadyMilfordHaven Sun 25-Aug-13 21:27:04

Last one didn't come over Jeremy Kyle at all. Think you're talking bollocks

beatback Sun 25-Aug-13 21:17:29

It is so typical for the television companies to choose a school in a a economically deprived area, because they are not intrested in the School and just want to see fireworks. I wonder whether the television crew choose Thornhill Community School because it was in Dewsbury with obvious links to Shannon Mathews, the television progam is just voyeurism looking in to the lives of the underprivileged and educationaly disadvantaged.

If the television company were intrested in showing a School in a positive light they would not be chosing Schools like Thornhill. The television company would not choose a high achieveing girls Grammar School would they, because if the viewers only saw girls sat in their chairs and listening to their teachers it would make boring viewing. This is the kind of television program that gets its ratings out of the misfourtune of other people, thats ok in shows like "JEREMY KYLE" because at least their adults but to show kids in sterotypical ways is just bad.

Schools like Thornhill are just desperate to get a little bit of attention so will agree to a program that does not benefit the School or the pupils in any way apart from the pupils saying i have been on tv.

sparklekitty Sun 25-Aug-13 20:42:34

It's the same as educating Essex. They don't have film crews, they use the same little swively cameras that they use in OBEM.

I loved Educating Essex and I'm really looking forward to this.

Looking forward to watching it, found educating Essex great didnt show them in a bad light like most of these reality shows do

'Do you like my eyebrows? I shaved them off' grin grin

Can't wait for her and the show! Loved Educating Essex.

LadyMilfordHaven Sun 25-Aug-13 10:10:22

agree - I think it does a lot of good for people understanding schools and teaching.

the only thing is obv they cant show a lot of the social problems each kid comes with due to their age. That, for some kids, totally changes their school experience

I also loved Educating Essex. I grew up a few miles from the school and I knew a couple of people who were working in the school at the time.

I liked the fact that it showed the reality of teaching, the high points and the hard parts. I am looking forward to the new version.

SueDoku Sun 25-Aug-13 09:41:17

That's really interesting RyanL - I really loved 'Educating Essex' as I thought that it showed with great clarity some of the challenges that teachers (and pupils!) face, so I am looking forward to 'Educating Yorkshire'.
I have several relatives who teach (or taught), and I worked in an FE college until recently, and I know that some of the situations shown were par for the course when dealing with today's students - but many of my friends were gobsmacked to see just what it's like on the chalkface in education today. smile

Mojavewonderer Sun 25-Aug-13 08:23:01

I can't wait for it the Essex one was brilliant!

AnneUulmelmahay Sun 25-Aug-13 08:04:05

Thank you RyanL, v informative.

RyanL Sun 25-Aug-13 05:06:26

Hello everyone. I was a student of this school when filming was going on, and it seems many of you don't understand what they really were like with us when filming.

So, we had set classrooms which were rigged with Cameras. These cameras could be used at anytime, but only 3 could be recording at any time.

Some time tables did have to get changed around to make it easier for them to get in classes that they wanted to record. Which did come as a problem for the maths department.

When they first visited the school, they came around the school and asked every student if they wanted to be on the show. Most of us said yes, including me, and a couple said no.

However, teachers took it differently, as almost all of them said No to the cameras. It was left with mainly the higher ranked staff in the school.

Most teachers who I talked to (I am a very chatty person) about this, said, they didn't want the conversations they have with the students to be on TV. As many teachers are caring and do help students out in privacy. Especially the P.H.S.C.E class'.

When it come to students, only a few selected ones actually got recorded and wired with microphones. My friend called Jac (who will be shown in Episode 2) was wired with a mic, as soon as he entered the school gates.

He never complained about it, and most of the time, we forgot it was even there. And it was only taken off when he walked home.

These select people only got told to do certain things in photo shoots. Which you would expect. We were never told to play up or react in a certain way, we were always told to be ourselves.

The only time it got annoying for us, was when they interrupted our class' because the needed to get a picture of out teacher doing something stupid. And/or if they brought in a actual movie camera to record whilst on the move. Because they got in the way, and in peoples face.

The cameras used to record in the classrooms were all wall mounted cameras. They were distracting at first, but you do get used to them after a while.

When it was GCSE results day, my parents were told to come in to talk to my carriers advisor, and when we started walking through the front gates, they brought out a camera which you could see from a mile away. And the first thing my mum said was, "Yeah, I can see how that would be annoying." But I really have to say, it wasn't all bad.

If you wasn't someone they focused on, then they never bothered you. If you was someone they focused on, then they bothered you. Sometimes ever going into town and filming you get drunk. (Which they did for a group of girls) Which they didn't find annoying. However, I know I would, and my parents would have something to say about it too.

But all in all, stop moaning about it please... haha.
It was perfectly fine and hardly effected us or the school in anyway.

Hope this helped you understand!

CakesAndVeg Fri 23-Aug-13 03:27:51

My daughter has just left the school and my son is there.

CakesAndVeg Fri 23-Aug-13 03:26:50

This is probably the worst school in britian.

inthenextlife Wed 21-Aug-13 18:46:12

I actually think that guy with the beard is very hunky. Can't wait to see more of him in the series. The bald Scottish one looks gorgeous too. Yum!

ShellyBoobs Wed 21-Aug-13 13:46:42

Thornhill.

It's near Dewsbury but in Huddersfield area, I think.

NGO Wed 21-Aug-13 13:46:02

I loved Educating Essex. I liked Mr Drew but I thought he was a bit too sarcastic and abrupt at times with some pupils.
I thought the Headteacher was marvellous though, really nurturing. He cried at one point because he felt that he'd failed one of the pupils.

frumpet Wed 21-Aug-13 13:32:01

Where in Yorkshire are they filming ?

acer12 Wed 21-Aug-13 13:26:15

There won't be a film crew it will be big brother style cameras.

Skelacia Wed 21-Aug-13 13:25:54

hazlenutlatte, I don't remember the series but my cousins went to Cowley High in the 90s, I wonder if you knew them. Or are one of them! grin

Holly94 Wed 21-Aug-13 12:10:30

FloweryOwl no not Leeds. It was in East Yorkshire.

FloweryOwl Wed 21-Aug-13 00:54:08

What school did you go to Holly94? Is it in Leeds by any chance?
I can't wait for educating Yorkshire to start! It's at Thornhill in Dewsbury. I knew quite a few people that went there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now