Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think Educating Yorkshire is a really bad idea?

(79 Posts)
GetStuffezd Tue 20-Aug-13 14:06:57

So, here's the trailer.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=8NQGPVv1wDU
It's basically showing the workings of a Yorkshire secondary school from day to day, going into classes and following certain teachers and pupils - from what I can gather anyway.
Is it just me who thinks it's a really bad idea? For parents, I can't imagine film crews in classes, encouraging children to "perform" is a popular idea. And as a teacher I would rather die than have my lessons disrupted with all that hassle. Maybe I'm being miserable but the whole thing seems a crazy idea to me, and possibly a massive ego trip on the part of the new Head.

Plus that teacher with the beard and messy hair irritated me after about 0.6 seconds.

I thought you were going to say that kids from Yorkshire didn't deserve to go to school hmm

I agree btw, I think it must be quite awkward for the teachers and chikdren.

ilovesooty Tue 20-Aug-13 14:10:35

The HT felt it would be beneficial and the article I read indicated that the pupils found it a positive experience. You can't compell anyone to be on TV if they don't want to.
I'll reserve judgment until I've seen it.

ilovesooty Tue 20-Aug-13 14:11:23

Very few pupils chose to opt out.

PrincessFlirtyPants Tue 20-Aug-13 14:12:09

They have done this previously in a show called 'Educating Essex'

GetStuffezd Tue 20-Aug-13 14:13:14

Well why would the pupils opt out? Chance to be on telly, get yourself noticed! I agree about reserving judgement though and I will give it a go.

GetStuffezd Tue 20-Aug-13 14:13:51

Really, Princess? I must have missed that one!

BuskersCat Tue 20-Aug-13 14:15:39

I also thought it was going to be about not teaching children who lived in yorkshire, gave myself a wedgie for no reason!

Loved the series Educating Essex.

noblegiraffe Tue 20-Aug-13 14:16:27

Educating Essex was brilliant. And a real eye opener for many who don't understand the problems faced by your average bog-standard comp. I'll definitely be watching this one!

WhyIRayLiotta Tue 20-Aug-13 14:17:30

The girl with the eyebrows at the end absolutely cracked me up! So funny! grin

adds nothing to serious debate as you were.

Sirzy Tue 20-Aug-13 14:18:32

Educating Essex was very good. I think it's good to show people some of the day to day challenges in schools

GetStuffezd Tue 20-Aug-13 14:21:07

Oops, sorry for the ambiguous title grin
It's interesting hearing other views but I just couldn't imagine taking part myself. Even the most hardworking classes must surely be distracted by the presence of cameras and crew? It would drive me insane.

JogOnKitty Tue 20-Aug-13 14:24:05

Another here who thinks Educating Essex was good and hoping the Yorkshire one will be the same. I used to live very near to the school that is featured and it was a underachieving school with a reputation for bad behaviour. I hope this programme shows the huge progress that has been made by staff and pupils.

tabulahrasa Tue 20-Aug-13 14:24:21

Educating Essex was good - very nicely done I thought, a pretty fair representation of school life without exploiting anybody.

Sirzy Tue 20-Aug-13 14:29:07

A lot of educating Essex was hidden cameras rather than camera and crew I think

mrsjay Tue 20-Aug-13 14:30:56

the girl who is in eastenders was in educating essex I loved it I am really nosey though will be good to see what teenagers get up to at school

mrsjay Tue 20-Aug-13 14:31:13

LOLA sorry i forgot the characters name

mrsjay Tue 20-Aug-13 14:31:55

It is hidden camera like cctv isn't it ?

tabulahrasa Tue 20-Aug-13 14:33:22

Even if there's someone in the corner with a camera...they soon forget they're there.

We used to work in pairs filming each other for assessments at uni and even in a strange environment with a stranger teaching them, they forgot it was there after a few minutes.

Though you always got a few minutes of preening at the camera at the start of every session, lol.

maja00 Tue 20-Aug-13 14:34:00

I enjoyed Educating Essex.

I assume they are filmed with fixed/hidden cameras like 24 Hours in A&E rather than an actual film crew getting in the way.

Educating Essex was great, I didn't know that there was a new series starting. I'll be watching it.
I also laughed at the thread title, grin

clarinetV2 Tue 20-Aug-13 14:39:01

There seem to have been quite a few of these across the years. I remember one done in the 80s in a comprehensive in Corby. Don't remember much about it though. And didn't they do one called 'Head on the block' about a guy who took up the leadership of a failing school in Islington or somewhere? There must be lots of people like mrsjay who are nosey about what teenagers get up to in school!

WillyandTig Tue 20-Aug-13 15:15:17

The girl who played Lola wasn't on it was she? Isn't she too old?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this new series. I always find it interesting to see how the teachers deal with different situations although I'm sure its very edited!

DidoTheDodo Tue 20-Aug-13 15:30:28

Anyone know which school it is?

floatyflo Tue 20-Aug-13 16:39:57

Lola actress was on Jamie Olivers dream school, not the Essex one smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now