to ask you all how to stop eating rubbish!

(57 Posts)
peppapigsmummy Tue 20-Aug-13 13:55:49

I was always big, even in childhood.

I lost all my weight, 6 st of it. Around 4 years ago.
it was hard...but easy, in that it was my only focus and I felt very dedicated.

Fast forward to having a toddler and im overweight by 3st. I have tried and tried to get into the swing of loosing but am gaining and loosing the same few lbs constantly and im so fed up with myself.

I eat when stressed..

I eat when im bored

I work so much I fail to prepare properly. .then get stressed.

I eat kids leftovers etc

have constant access to food.

pleeeease tell me how to get out of this vicious circle and feel able to say no and genuinly not want it!

I have six months before I get married and im never going to forgive myself if I look like this!

Grumpywino Wed 21-Aug-13 12:50:43

I eat low carb which does mean avoiding processed rubbish. I see food as fuel and honestly have no interest in eating chocolates, bread, biscuits etc. They are wasted calories that do me no good at all. I get confused by people who are anti smoking yet stuff themselves with junk! I eat when hungry, and stop when full. I like to eat food that is palatable but I have worked hard to stop thinking of food as a treat or a reward. I work very long hours in a stressful job but always take the time to prepare food to take with me. I do love wine though......

Drink more. If you're hungry, have a drink of water or tea first. Then decide if still hungry after half an hour.

Work out your weaknesses - is it a vending machine or coffee shop? Don't carry cash and avoid them at key times eg lunch. Set up meeting for key snack times.

Give your kids smaller portions. If they have left overs then you're making too much.

Take lunch into work a couple of times a week and leave your wallet at home. Gradually you'll get used to eating less that way.

Don't shop when hungry.

Don't buy snacks.

Meal plan so you don't have excess food.

FastWindow Wed 21-Aug-13 12:54:06

I find it hard not to snack, so I've compromised. I eat unsalted nuts from Tescos, they come in bags with raisins so you get a bit of sweet as well. Why don't you do that old thing of sticking a picture of yourself with the six stone gone on the fridge and cupboard? Also agree with eating clean food - didn't know that was what it was called but basically food that is as close to its original state as possible.

DrinaDancesInParis Wed 21-Aug-13 13:07:23

Another vote here for MyFitnessPal.

But you must do it properly and write down EVERYTHING that passes your lips. (You bite it, you write it!)

For, say, the first week, don't necessarily make any changes. Just seeing what eg 4 biscuits and that packet of crisps does to your calorie count is eye opening. I found after seeing in black and white what I was eating, it was easier to control myself. Also knowing I have to log EVERYTHING makes me much less likely to eat that second biscuit. It makes you accountable to yourself.

I found I naturally started eating tons more fresh, healthy food because I could eat so much more and take up so many fewer calories. And, I actually enjoy food more now. I eat mindfully, so I really enjoy every mouthful, and there's no guilt attached, even when I have so-called "bad foods" like chocolate. If I do indulge I never hate myself for it, it's just part of the balance. I log it and keep it in moderation.

Good luck!

DrinaDancesInParis Wed 21-Aug-13 13:11:29

Sorry meant to add I've lost three stone doing this over the last year and a half and I'm now on "maintenance" calories. It isn't a quick fix, but a life-long change.

Congratulations on your engagement! I'm sure you will look beautiful on the day, whatever size you are.

sherbetpips Wed 21-Aug-13 13:19:15

The problem isnt just the eating its the buying, dont buy it and you cant eat it. Lots of fresh veg and healthy food in the house. Total and utter ban on soft drinks, crisps, cakes, biscuits anything like that. If it is there you will eat it - you know yourself well enough. Also no leftovers, ask the kids to scrape there scraps into the bin and dont cook too much in the first place - especially pasta, etc. It scraps tempt you have a squirt gun to hand so you can 'ruin' them by spraying with vinegar or something else stinky. My SIL did this trick as she was hooked on left overs.

yellowballoons Wed 21-Aug-13 13:21:07

Am wondering if you would benefit from those "delicious, home cooked, prepared and delivered to your door, weekly meals" or whatever it is that is advertised.
It would suit your busy life, mean you would look forward to your meals, and they are all ready calorie counted for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now