to stop using the dishwasher?

(82 Posts)
gremlindolphin Tue 20-Aug-13 00:06:16

We have just come back from hols where we took turns washing up or did it together and it just seemed so much better!

I have been told it is more efficient to use the dishwasher but I think it is a waste of effort to load and unload it especially as it invariably ends up with me doing it!

I am probably thinking nostalgically about this but I remember my parents and i would spend 15 mins together every evening washing, drying and putting away - job done.

Anyone want to join me in dumping the dishwasher?

PoisonedApple Wed 21-Aug-13 07:57:57

Mine broke 1 week before DD2 was born. I sat beside it night and day until it was nursed back to health by the engineer paid for by the additional insurance I have to cover dishwasher, dryer and washing machine - I am that paranoid about losing them!

kiwik Wed 21-Aug-13 06:02:07

Mine is constantly full - three adults, and three children in a household means we go throuh a lot of crockery and cutley each day.
DS1 unloads before breakfast each morning, and at the end of the week he has a comic in payment.
I hate stacking it, as DH always comes in after I've put everything in neatly with another dish or plate to squeeze in.

I'd sell one of the DCs before getting rid of the dishwasher.

Morloth Wed 21-Aug-13 05:46:56

I don't care how much it costs each time.

I make more than a $100 an hour at work (and DH kicks my arse), I am pretty sure it costs less than an hour's washing up a day. grin

Stacking it is fun, like playing tetris with the crockery. I also have the one with the cutlery drawer at the top so no basket to get in the way of the big pots on the bottom.

Everything comes out hot and dry. Fabulous.

KitCat26 Tue 20-Aug-13 19:20:43

Oh no! I've only just got a dishwasher and I'm buggered if I'm going back!

Before it was me collating, washing up and putting away (kids too small to help, dh working long hours). Now its still me that does it, but the novelty will never wear off.

MiaowTheCat Tue 20-Aug-13 19:13:59

I can't stand for long periods of time - so I have to do things like veg chopping at a table sat down, which isn't really doable with washing up.

I love my dishwasher. I refuse to live without one now.

jelliebelly Tue 20-Aug-13 19:13:00

No thanks - I bet you don't last a week before you get fed up of random cups and plates piling up in the sink grin

purple15 Tue 20-Aug-13 19:10:58

Why hasn't the cost been discussed ?

Our dishwasher broke about a year ago, and because of the cost of our energy bills, we thought we would go back to washing up.

How much do you think it cost each time ?

ChippingInHopHopHop Tue 20-Aug-13 19:01:12

Oh and I hate that half the time the dishes aren't dry or something has tipped over and there's revolting dirty water in it - bleurghhhh

I'd much sooner just wash up smile

ChippingInHopHopHop Tue 20-Aug-13 18:59:45

I don't know why I hate emptying them - I just do.

I hate that they don't always do a good job.

I hate that they need salt/cleaning/filters emptying.

I hate dirty dishes sitting in them.

I hate that they ruin glasses & other things.

I wouldn't put my good glasses, pots, dishes in them - so I'd still end up washing stuff up.

I don't have dirty dishes sitting on the side all the time - they get washed.

All our plates, cups, glasses are in the 'top' cupboards (no choice) so not a job that is practical/safe to delegate to small people and I wouldn't anyway - I like my dishes smile

FasterStronger Tue 20-Aug-13 18:57:01

we have a Miele as well and it is great: (1) it dries at the end of the cycle (2) it has an extra draw at the top so cutlery is sorted and easy to put away (3) it has more space in the bottom draw for pans etc.

and very energy efficient.
I am waiting for the washing machine to break as their new washers have a home dry clean option.

Marriage saver here as well!

All those who thinks it takes longer to use a dishwasher than handwashing, you do know you don't have to stand next to it whilst it's washing, don't you?!confused

lifesgreatquestions Tue 20-Aug-13 17:32:11

On my own I was happy to do my washing up. And like you OP, I have fond memories of doing the washing up with my mother, we'd make up songs and chat about stuff. However, the peace the dishwasher has brought us is priceless. If only other household items were as incredibly useful and relationship-saving as the dishwasher!

Capitola Tue 20-Aug-13 17:31:01

No way could we live without a dishwasher. We had to replace it recently and had 2 days without. It was not good.

melika Tue 20-Aug-13 17:28:42

I would never moan about loading/unloading the dishwasher, even though it is long way from kitchen sink(stupid previous people put it in the utility).

But it is my secret friend, Miele, who helps me to be sane. Let's face it, no one helps me, what's the alternative?

whitesugar Tue 20-Aug-13 16:55:01

My washing machine broke a while ago and I went to the laundrette for about a week before replacing it. My dishwasher broke and it was replaced by lunchtime the next day. Any crockery or cutlery that are not suitable for dishwashers get thrown out.

trinity0097 Tue 20-Aug-13 16:41:50

29min for a quick wash in the dishwasher, far easier than hand washing and things get much cleaner! Also haven't studies shown it is cheaper?

PenguinBear Tue 20-Aug-13 16:22:40

YABU!! I love mine! If you have a proper system, it takes minutes. I load mine (family of 6) in about 2 minutes flat. Te wash takes 30minutes and then It is unloaded in another 2minutes.

If you are struggling with it, you might be doing it wrong wink

miffybun73 Tue 20-Aug-13 15:06:09

YABU, I love my dishwasher smile

Morloth Tue 20-Aug-13 13:40:31

I will risk a fire to not have to supervise my white goods.

I had no idea people waited for things to finish.

Just isn't an option here, way too busy.

I wouldn't run the tumble dryer overnight whilst we were asleep in the house though and I keep my lint filter perfect.

magimedi Tue 20-Aug-13 12:24:22

AFAIK it applies to dishwashers & washing machines.

One of my neighbours is a firefighter - I'll ask him when I next see him.

Jan49 Tue 20-Aug-13 12:20:00

*With the washing machine, I sort out a load, fill it, and have to make sure I'm going to be home for the next 1.5 hours whilst it runs,

Why?!*

I'd be worried about it catching fire or flooding or something going wrong that needed to be dealt with. I run it when I'm awake and around. If I had to go out I'd turn it off mid-cycle if necessary. I suppose it comes down to how risk averse you are. I obviously leave the fridge on and go out or go to bed but I wouldn't leave the washing machine on. I haven't got a tumble drier and wouldn't leave that on if I had one.

Plomino Tue 20-Aug-13 11:52:02

With 7 of us in this house , washing up would take a damn sight longer than 15 minutes . Our dishwasher runs full 3 times a day , so there would be no way on earth I'd not have one .

When ours broke , and then needed a part that was taking ages to arrive , I became such a thorn in the side of Zanussi , that they ended up replacing it , just to shut me up .

ShakeAndVac Tue 20-Aug-13 11:51:10

magimedi - I thought that was only for tumble driers? I always leave my dishwasher and washing machine on when I'm out.

I've only heard about tumble driers not being left on when out as well. Never heard it applied to washing machines or dishwashers?

LondonMan Tue 20-Aug-13 11:48:54

Though I'm not speaking from experience as it wasn't me that used it the one or two times.

HeathRobinson Tue 20-Aug-13 11:47:47

magimedi - I thought that was only for tumble driers? I always leave my dishwasher and washing machine on when I'm out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now