To think that a newborn is a walk in the park compared to a 5mo?

(71 Posts)
Bluemonkeyspots Mon 19-Aug-13 14:47:38

Or am I looking back a few months through rosé tinted specs?

Bring back the days where the only problem was worrying about collapsing through sheer exhaustion.

Now it's all sore gums, hair pulling, screaming because she can't roll over, screaming because she has now rolled over and is stuck, crying as she wants more than milk, crying if i try her with solids as she can't hold onto or swallow them, fighting sleep but being too heavy to rock to sleep, being too nosey to sleep when out in the pram, constantly pulling her blankets over her head then crying when she can't get them off again......... Aarrrgghhh!

It's a good thing she is so cute and has the best smile ever!

MrsGarlic Mon 19-Aug-13 15:53:19

YANBU. I have a 7 month old. Newborn was super easy, months 2 - 5 were hell.

When he was a newborn he slept all. the. time. He had jaundice bless him so I had to wake him for feeds, but this meant I set an alarm for myself then woke myself up, sorted myself out before waking him and feeding him. During the day I'd feed him, then pop him in his Moses basket and get on with things. Occasionally my husband would take care of him overnight and feed him my expressed milk in a bottle.

After a couple of months, he stopped being jaundiced so would wake me, he refused to sleep anywhere but in my arms, my husband had gone back to work and my mum had stopped coming round to help me out. I couldn't put him down for a second without him SCREAMING. I couldn't even tie my sling because he'd start screaming hysterically and I'd get flustered. So nothing got done as I spent all day walking the baby round. He refused to take bottles so I couldn't even leave him with anyone, and started being really noisy in his sleep which he hadn't previously.

By month 5 he got a bit less needy and slept more at night, and now he's much easier again... although has just learned to crawl so watch this space! (Already this week I've caught him trying to eat a bin liner, tissues, and some washing powder he poured out of the box.)

Everyone's got a different experience but for me the newborn days were pretty easy, I didn't even feel that tired.

FixItUpChappie Mon 19-Aug-13 16:03:36

I found the newborn stage hard with my first because I was clueless. DS2 that stage was a treat - newborns do sleep a lot after all...during the day mind, but still.

I found 1.5yrs-2.5yrs the hardest bit to date. Into everything, not sleeping, not playing on their own at all - cute but exhausting.

peachactiviaminge Mon 19-Aug-13 16:30:13

YANBU I have a very grumpy 16 week old who is just getting over a cold and finishing cutting his bottom two teeth. He apparently feels the need for lots of nice naps but is a grumpy squirmy bitey monster between said 30 minute naps. I miss the newborn sleep snuggles.

chattychattyboomba Mon 19-Aug-13 16:32:11

Yanbo....3-12 month= hell, 12-24 months worse hell (the whinging never stops!!) 24+...heaven in comparison! I hear 3 years is worse than so called terrible twos.

YoniBottsBumgina Mon 19-Aug-13 16:37:02

YANBU. I loved the newborn bit. Struggle with babies (aside from newborns) - they don't do anything blush Love toddlers, preschool is hard.

I also find the INTENSE CONSTANT NEEEEED for entertaining difficult. DS didn't even sit up until he was 9 months old hmm so he was constantly irritated that he couldn't sit and play with things. Thankfully he could cruise from 8 months so it wasn't too bad if I let him bang things on the coffee table constantly.

YoniBottsBumgina Mon 19-Aug-13 16:38:08

Yeah, 2 is easy. 3? Well, there's a reason most people get pregnant again before their first turns 3 wink

binhome Mon 19-Aug-13 17:56:44

I will swap you for a 10 month old.
I do think newborn stage was lovely. Yes I got very little sleep at night but I had the sense and option to sleep when baby slept.

itsaruddygame Mon 19-Aug-13 18:05:00

My DS is 5 months and it is a peice of cake compared to the newborn phase. Having said that I didn't get more than 1 and a half hours sleep in one go for weeks which was the main reason! Also he fed for quite literally hours and hours each day.

To me this phase is pretty easy although I am still dreaming of a full nights sleep ....

Monkeyandanimal Mon 19-Aug-13 18:07:02

2 year old and 3 year old way harder than baby imo, newborn or otherwise! tantrums, refusal to do anything your way, faddy eating, potty training, running away in the park/street!

MsJupiterJones Mon 19-Aug-13 18:45:58

Obviously it depends on the baby but I remember a particularly tough bit just before he learned to sit up - then came the most joyous few months of my life. Then the learning to crawl started with lots of head bumps - now at 10mo he is mobile and happy again, although it's harder work than the sitting stage which was a real sweet spot. It's probably just round the corner for you OP. smile

soverylucky Mon 19-Aug-13 18:48:28

Ah I loved, loved, loved the five month stage. I wasn't as nervous any more - we seemed to know a bit about what we were supposed to do, they still slept for a massive amount of time, weren't crawling around and getting into trouble, not weaning yet so no worries on that score. Honestly - I always say I found five months the hardest. (still have the teen years to come mind)

soapysam Mon 19-Aug-13 19:06:09

snortwait until they learn to walk and talk... oh, and weaning, thats a wonderful bit. Potty training... snorts some more

CoffeeandScones Mon 19-Aug-13 19:07:03

Basically they get harder and harder work until they're 21... If you're lucky.

Fakebook Mon 19-Aug-13 19:08:26

Yes you're right, but 5 month stage is a million times better than the toddler tantrums stage. It gets better when they start talking properly and can tell you exactly what is wrong!

soapysam Mon 19-Aug-13 19:09:39

If you have more than 1, once they master the art of speaking they upgrade to bickering. That stage is dreamy :D

marriedinwhiteisback Mon 19-Aug-13 19:20:06

My DS keeps me awake all night. Because he's not home - he's nearly 19. Was better when he was in the cot and I knew where he was.

Depends on the baby and the soreness of the boobs, the ease of feeding and growing and how many stitches were incurrred.

If you have older ones you should know better than to generalise.

FunInTheSunD Mon 19-Aug-13 19:24:16

Wait another 10 years and you'll be saying baby years were a breeze after teenage years grin

soverylucky Mon 19-Aug-13 19:27:19

I clearly meant that I found the five months stage the easiest in my last post - not the hardest!

Maggietess Mon 19-Aug-13 19:33:14

Spent the day screeching blue murder like a fishwife calmly explaining to Dds (5 & 2) why they shouldn't fight and climb/take each others toys/leave carnage in their wake for their brother to swallow/watch any more tv/trail moon dough from one side of the house to the other/play Narnia in their wardrobes .

My 11mo seems an absolute breeze in comparison... Despite having one leg in plaster cast and trying to cruise and tackle the stairs with it. He's seemed a joy since he was born and I swear I think I used to find the baby years the hardest!!

Wine anyone?! wink grin

MiaowTheCat Mon 19-Aug-13 19:46:15

I dislike the 5 month stage immensely. All of what the OP listed with the frustration at not being able to roll or sit up and not knowing what she wants to do with herself, but with an added bulk to bodily fluids compared to teeny little newborn poos, and still pre-weaning so the poos are runny enough to do the nice poonami up the back of the nappy routine as well.

I'd rather deal with endless tantrums from my 16 month old than the permanent disgruntlement of my 5 month old at the moment - apart from the gummy smiles - I DO like the gummy smile thing.

Bogeyface Mon 19-Aug-13 19:47:08

YABU

I have 6 children so you would think that the newborn stage would be a stroll for me, but with each one it was the hardest stage as they are so dependent and the exhaustion is something else. I adore newborns, dont get me wrong, but in terms of "easiness", give me a 6 month old every time!

Xmasbaby11 Mon 19-Aug-13 20:10:39

My DD was the same at 5mo, slept 12 hours at night but super lively during the day and wanted stimulation. I enjoyed it but had to plan lots of 'activties'. Unfortunately I have to say it got much harder a few months later when she was on the move - even more lively, never stayed still.

VulvaVoom Mon 19-Aug-13 20:11:23

I could have started this thread about my 10 month old. She's just started crawling and unless you watch her literally every second, she's either
a) eating dead bugs and crap off the floor blush
b) getting annoyed and crying if she can't have the remote controls, my phone, car keys, necklace etc even though she has tonnes of toys to play with!
c) following me to the toilet and sitting outside the door, so I can't get out
d) smiling at my constant barrage of 'No, don't touch that' and shaking her head in a no motion - but then grabbing said ornament/photo and lobbing it anyway.
BUT - and it's a big one, her beautiful cherubic face, wide toothy smile and lovely singsong chuckle make it all so worth while and fun when I'm not totally knackered

marriedinwhiteisback Mon 19-Aug-13 20:12:13

Mine are 18 and 15. Pours more wine. Hoping it will get easier in september when DS goes to uni. Hmmm!

Thesimplethings Mon 19-Aug-13 20:14:02

Yanbu newborns are easier than every other age group. Mine are 3 and 2, I miss the fact that newborns don't talk or move grin

According to many, it only gets harder!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now