to feel like throwing up whenever I have to eat other people's home cooked food

(241 Posts)
gettngbetter Mon 19-Aug-13 13:32:15

A lady in work baked a cake the other day and brought it in to share around. I accepted a slice as not to seem rude and said I'd have it later with my lunch as I'd just eaten. Then when no one was looking I wrapped it in a napkin and threw it in the bin.

I don't know why exactly but eating something that someone baked at home makes me feel ill. How do I know how hygienic they are? I'm not overly obsessed with hygiene or germs but i dont like the thought of someone I dont know very well touching the food with their hands.

If I'm in a restaurant I have no problem eating anything - even though if I think about it rationally the chef there could be very unhygienic! I've read horror stories about restaurants having to be shut down because they were endangering people's health.

Sometimes I'm in a situation where I feel obliged to accept and eat something - and there's no way of disposing of it - I try to gulp it down as quickly as possible.

I admit it's a bit weird to feel like this - Does anyone have the same issues. Or does anyone else have similar weird phobias? My friend is totally freaked out by cotton wool (I find that weird!)

nooka Tue 20-Aug-13 16:14:10

OP, no one is saying you should always refuse if you are able on occasions when it really matters to eat the offering, but please stop taking food and then throwing it away.

If you don't care that you are missing out on lots of really good things, then no I suppose it doesn't affect your life that much.

motherinferior Tue 20-Aug-13 17:11:42

Procrastinating, I would hate not to be able to eat food my friends had cooked!

expatinscotland Tue 20-Aug-13 17:15:28

Someone's been permitted to open a Thai takeaway from their own house in our village! I can't wait to get over there. Mmmm.

Mintyy Tue 20-Aug-13 18:08:08

I agree with whoever said you owe it to yourselves to address your phobias.

I am a fairly severe emetophobe, but I still clicked on this thread to give my pov, even though it has the word vomit in the title. 6 months of cbt and a lot of effort on my part has got me to this place wink.

And, generally speaking, you [one] come across the problem of anyone vomiting within sight/sound/a 500m radius of you an awful lot less frequently than being invited to eat food that has been cooked or prepared by a friend.

grin at "I don't want to go to dinner parties"

Procrastinating Tue 20-Aug-13 18:13:35

I would pick my most serious phobia and deal with that Mintyy. The food one is a kind of sub-phobia. Congratulations on clicking on the vomit title, very brave.
My worst phobia is that I can't look at my own teeth. That one I know I should address. But how? Does it even have a name?

I have been to one dinner party and I had to drink a lot to be able to eat the food. The men talked about sport, it wasn't fun.

GrendelsMum Tue 20-Aug-13 19:04:10

Well, I think it might be worth looking at getting some therapy for this phobia.

I can understand that you've got a lot of strategies for dealing with it and minimising the situations, but I do think that it's not normal and it probably is impacting your life. If you can sort things out, it might make the rest of your life a little easier.

WetGrass Tue 20-Aug-13 19:44:28

I have this phobia in reverse.

I cook daily for my family - but I tie myself in knots cooking for other people. I'll re-wash all the dishes before I start for example. Anything that my DC claim to have baked is a lie. They have one bowl with their snot and bogies ; I have an identical bowl on the go myself which has the same recipe but made only by me. I put my hair up in a scarf. I remove my watch and rings. I package cakes in disposable containers to look more 'shoppy'. Buy fresh bags of flour, pasta etc to ensure no risk of 'out of date' embarrassment.

My mum used to work in catering and terrorised my about good food hygiene .

I think there is a lot to be said for M&S cakes!

SomethingOnce Tue 20-Aug-13 21:20:39

Oh, me too, WetGrass.

The mere thought of other people finding a hair or, worst of all, getting food poisoning from food I'd made, is mortifying.

[brandishes Dettol spray]

gettngbetter Tue 20-Aug-13 22:43:27

I'm amazed at the amount of like-minded people out there. I thought I was alone in my feelings!

FreshLeticia Tue 20-Aug-13 22:51:08

I have a lovely friend, who makes birthday cakes and such to order.
However, her kitchen is an absolute pigsty. So bad, youncannot find a clear space on the floor in which to stand shock .
I can eat her cakes, but I do wonder whether her clients would buy them if they could see....

Trinpy Tue 20-Aug-13 23:31:46

YABU but it's a phobia.

I will accept home made cakes but feel a bit sick about any food in a Tupperware container. Dh is a chef and sometimes brings food home that was left over from events he has catered for. If I saw this food at the event I would want to eat it, but because its in Tupperware box I assume it won't taste nice. I only just realised from this thread that I do this.

Beastofburden Wed 21-Aug-13 09:02:01

I think you will be lucky if your DC don't notice you not eating things they have made, refusing food at school events, not eating at BBQs and family events, etc. And it will probably affect the way you teach them to cook at home.

Interested how many people here agree that they have a phobia, but don't want it treated as a phobia, ie, something you try to get rid of because it is damaging.

Campari Wed 21-Aug-13 09:15:39

My mother is exactly the same, she doesnt eat other people's homecooked food either. It used to be a running joke in our family, & we'd constantly wind her up about it.
I don't find it so funny now though, as when she comes to stay she refuses all food & wants to go out instead, despite me already having cooked a roast dinner. Totally insulting. Im her daughter, FFS.

Poppyhat Wed 21-Aug-13 09:17:20

I have a phobia,not food related.i sweat and shake and get in a right state when faced with the object of my phobia .there is a huge difference between a phobia and a dislike/disgust of certain foods or how they are cooked.
The thought of a fresh warm egg,straight out of a hens bottom gives me the heave! But its not a phobia :-)
Illogical yes,but a phobia ? Or even a problem? Nah.

LadyMilfordHaven Wed 21-Aug-13 09:17:40

you need to get therapy OP

marriedinwhiteisback Wed 21-Aug-13 10:27:17

Thinks of swathes of the population in famine hit areas of the world, Prisoners of war, etc. I think some of the habits on this thread stem from fussy luxury and would soon disappear if there was true hunger. And actually on the whole they are bad habits not phobias and many need to give themselves a little talking to and think about how rude they must appear to hosts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now