To be getting really fed up of my MIL's interference

(109 Posts)
arabesque Sun 18-Aug-13 17:20:38

She seems to think that because she only lives ten minutes away she can just pop in to see them every week, only giving us a couple of day's notice that she'd 'like to come over and see the children for a few minutes if that's ok?'.
She's also suggested several times that me and DH should go out for a meal and she will babysit - as if I'd agree to a mad idea like that.
Last year, when I had DC3, I arrived home from hospital to discover that she'd hoovered the house and left a casserole and a shepherd's pie in the fridge. I felt totally invaded and just burst into tears.

AIBU to consider sending her an email explaining that they're our children and really have nothing whatsoever to do with her; and that if I need a babysitter I will, of course, be asking my own mother and not some random paternal grandmother?

Tuon Sun 18-Aug-13 17:21:42

hmm

KissMeHardy Sun 18-Aug-13 17:22:00

hmm Ha ha ha !

TheSecondComing Sun 18-Aug-13 17:22:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WestieMamma Sun 18-Aug-13 17:23:21

My MIL is the same. I feel your pain.

beepoff Sun 18-Aug-13 17:23:37

LTB.

JoinTheDots Sun 18-Aug-13 17:23:43

Reverse AIBU, surely?

vintageclock Sun 18-Aug-13 17:24:46

YANBU. My MIL behaves like this as well, always wanting to buy the dcs presents for their birthdays and Christmas. She even asked if she could hold the baby last week. I mean, he's only ten months old. Can she not have a bit of patience and wait until I've had a bit of precious time with him.

catgirl1976 Sun 18-Aug-13 17:25:37

There are a couple of these now I think hmm

pianodoodle Sun 18-Aug-13 17:29:55

Toxic grin

doingthesplitz Sun 18-Aug-13 17:36:54

She sounds very pushy, just like my MIL. You wouldn't believe how interfering she is. At our wedding she plonked herself up near the top of the church and shoved her way into the family photos. She also asked if her best friend, who's DHs Godmother, could come to the wedding. Naturally I said 'no' and then she apparently complained that 85 of our 100 guests were from my side of the family. I mean I was the bride, but that obviously didn't matter in her self entitled little world.

She's got even worse since the dcs arrived and I am trying to persuade DH to emigrate to Australia to get away from her. But he just says she's lonely because her DH and all her other children died tragically in an accident a few years ago. Well, Helloooo, we all have problems. The rest of us just don't impose them on everyone else. Honestly, the woman is so selfish and self absorbed.....

BuskersCat Sun 18-Aug-13 17:38:42

Is this a reverse AIBU?

purrpurr Sun 18-Aug-13 17:43:19

Doing, awesome post grin

mrspaddy Sun 18-Aug-13 17:44:21

I am the first person to like my own space and not have invasions but I don't think once a week is that much. Perhaps the meals and hovering were kindness - unless there is more to this I would be grateful.

MrsApplepants Sun 18-Aug-13 17:49:16

I feel your pain. Every time MIL visits she brings home made cake, she's just so presumptuous to assume I want cake. Oh, and she worms information out of DH, like what my favourite chocolates are, and now brings those as well. Bitch.

NGO Sun 18-Aug-13 17:54:27

I think you should move and not tell her your new address. She can meet up with dh at McDonald's to see pics of the dc.

Failing that put CCTV in your house. Who knows what she gets up to when you are out? She could be doing the ironing or the washing up. <shudder>

Dackyduddles Sun 18-Aug-13 17:55:12

It's the women that buy cake and get grumpy if you are kind enough to offer to let them take the remains home with them you really want to watch

;)

fabergeegg Sun 18-Aug-13 18:04:59

Hmmm, this is a tough one, OP. I would let the casserole issue go as chances are you were a bit over-sensitive after giving birth. Do you think it might be easier to arrange a regular slot each week - save you both a phone call?

HalleLouja Sun 18-Aug-13 18:09:10

I think we are having our leg pulled. Well I hope so.

IneedAsockamnesty Sun 18-Aug-13 18:09:13

Huh?

pudcat Sun 18-Aug-13 18:10:07

oh dear I gave my d in l some home made cheese straws last week and a cauliflower today (BOGOF).I will send sausage rolls next week.

MammaTJ Sun 18-Aug-13 18:24:56

This has to be a reverse!

ThisWayForCrazy Sun 18-Aug-13 18:29:49

Pahahahahahaha!!! wink

Serialdrinker Sun 18-Aug-13 18:36:10

OP have a look at the 'stately homes' thread in relatonships. I can't believe you have to put up with this, what will it be next week? Beef stew? Fucking slag. Cut her off and go to relate with your DH.

Jan49 Sun 18-Aug-13 18:37:56

I love the idea of a "random paternal grandmother". grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now