To flounce because young people on another thread didn't know how John Taylor was?

(353 Posts)
Sparklingbrook Fri 16-Aug-13 22:44:21

Humph. sad

Bumpotato Mon 19-Aug-13 14:50:19

I haven't read John's book yet but got Andy's in a charity shop a while back. It is worth a read if you're a fan though Andy comes across as quite angry with the others.

Sparklingbrook Mon 19-Aug-13 14:28:25

True Bump. Playing your own instruments makes for a credible band IMO. And finding other members through traditional routes and not Simon Cowell.

Bumpotato Mon 19-Aug-13 14:26:17

The Beatles fans were probably pissed off in the 80s when Duran Duran were compared to them.

Though I agree. 1D, JLS etc are far more manufactured.

Sparklingbrook Mon 19-Aug-13 13:48:15

It makes me cross when 1D etc get compared to them. It's not the same at all.

Bumpotato Mon 19-Aug-13 13:46:42

Anyone got the All We Need Is Now album? I got it when it was released on CD and love it too. My daughters sing along to it in the car. In fact my 5 year old was singing along to all the songs in Sing Blue Silver too.

A new generation of Duranies!

I kissed JT goodnight every night before falling asleep, usually listening to the Rio album on my Walkman.

Sparklingbrook Mon 19-Aug-13 13:28:40

It's great isn't it Bump? Lots of memories of watching it as a teen. I could remember it word for word. blush Still can't look at the finger blisters. grin

Bumpotato Mon 19-Aug-13 13:21:22

Watched Sing Blue Silver thanks to this thread. Happy.

cheeseandpineapple Mon 19-Aug-13 12:31:08

Yes to webchat! Am writing this from my old bedroom at my parents place, the walls were completely covered in Duran Duran posters and pics, mainly JT. He was my second true love after lead singer of the bay city rollers. I was convinced the only reason we weren't together was that I was too young for him. Then he goes and marries wild child who's even younger than me. Felt cheated. Hope MN do organise a webchat, in which case, Sparkling, you should be invited in to meet him in person as instigator and allowed to bring a friend please pick meeeeee! grin

WilsonFrickett Mon 19-Aug-13 10:04:30

<waves to Inkle>

He was luffly, wasn't he?

Sparklingbrook Sun 18-Aug-13 18:07:26

You are right Inkle. smile

InkleWinkle Sun 18-Aug-13 18:03:43

He has DD one arm & a J&G on the other with possibly Gela written underneath.

I can't link you'll need to google.

Sparklingbrook Sun 18-Aug-13 18:00:20
InkleWinkle Sun 18-Aug-13 17:55:26

I've seen a picture. Will try to find it after fed the DC.

Sparklingbrook Sun 18-Aug-13 17:52:25

Ooh does he? What of? Where? <14 again>

InkleWinkle Sun 18-Aug-13 17:51:35

* webchat

InkleWinkle Sun 18-Aug-13 17:51:09

Aaaahhh a webcast!
And we could have it all to ourselves as so many of these youngsters haven't heard of him!

He has a tattoo now though.

Sparklingbrook Sun 18-Aug-13 17:48:38

Yes, no need to piss yourself really Gilmours. I wasn't in the screaming category. The one thing I did notice the most on Sing Blue Silver-no tattoos on any of them. smile

Inkle I grew up very near to JT and recognise every place he mentions in the book. Many an afternoon sat on his parents' wall waiting for him. blush His Mum and Dad were lovely and very patient. It must have been bewildering for them. sad

Well you do now Clara. grin

Do you think he would be up for a webchat?

GilmoursPillow Sun 18-Aug-13 17:42:56

I'm watching Sing Blue Silver (never knew the video existed, so thanks to whoever flagged that up).

I was a real Durannie but I'm cringing at the mullets, trousers and fans who pissed themselves in all the excitement grin

ClaraOswald Sun 18-Aug-13 17:40:01

I didn't know who John Taylor is.

InkleWinkle Sun 18-Aug-13 17:37:53

Wilson! I was there too last night!

He is sooooo luffly!

Made me cry a bit though when he was talking about his mum dying but still having his dad and then losing his dad and therefore also his connection to his childhood / where he grew up. My mum died a month ago & it will be the same for me when my dad goes.
I had to restrain myself from running onto the platform for a hug hmm

Sparklingbrook Sun 18-Aug-13 15:45:18
Sparklingbrook Sun 18-Aug-13 14:57:10

Brilliant Shake there are some real tunes I had forgotten all about, plus some I am quite glad I had forgotten about. grin

ShakeAndVac Sun 18-Aug-13 14:47:43

I've now discovered the 80's music thread and am sat with a face like this grin grin grin
I'm in my ELEMENT on there! grin

Sparklingbrook Sun 18-Aug-13 14:43:35

Exactly Shake it's like not knowing your history. sad

Duran Duran were fabulous-shame on anyone who doesn't know who they were.

ShakeAndVac Sun 18-Aug-13 14:38:09

How can no-one know who John Taylor is?! Even I know he's in Duran Duran! grin
Although I was more of Spandau Ballet fan - Martin Kemp <swoons>
As for fancying Harry Wotsit from One Direction. No, no no no no. That's just WRONG. He looks about 12 FGS.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now