Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To not feel any sympathy for drug-smuggling women?

(593 Posts)
DarceyBissell Mon 12-Aug-13 17:42:45

Just that really. Two young women facing 25 years in a Peruvian jail for trying to smuggle 11kg of cocaine. Saw they described as 'vulnerable' in one paper. Hardly. Greedy and stupid though.

Morgause Mon 12-Aug-13 17:43:29

No sympathy whatsoever from me.

Onesleeptillwembley Mon 12-Aug-13 17:45:44

Stupid, yes. Vulnerable? No. Absolutely no sympathy.

mynameisslimshady Mon 12-Aug-13 17:46:15

I agree. These smugglers don't have any regard for the lives they are helping to destroy, yet expect everyone to step in and save them when they get caught.

I hate drugs.

PrincessScrumpy Mon 12-Aug-13 17:46:30

Nope I'm always very unsympathetic. Just greedy.

2cats2many Mon 12-Aug-13 17:46:44

You can be greedy and stupid and still be vulnerable.

As one human being to another, I feel sorry for them. Who knows what roads took them to making the greedy and stupid decision to try and carry drugs over the border. They look like beautiful young girls. What a shame they made such a stupid decision.

burberryqueen Mon 12-Aug-13 17:47:05

no they were stupid

squoosh Mon 12-Aug-13 17:47:38

They haven't been tried yet.

burberryqueen Mon 12-Aug-13 17:49:39

well you do have a point there squoosh , we should withhold our judgement really they might have been set up or coerced, we really do not know.

NewAtThisMalarky Mon 12-Aug-13 17:56:30

If they have done it knowingly and willingly, then I totally agree with you.

If they have been forced into it or are carrying goods concealed by someone else, then I would have absolute sympathy.

Knowing the difference, however, is tricky.

zippey Mon 12-Aug-13 17:56:53

If found guilty they took a risk and it didn't come off. Who knows what their life was like. People take drugs. There is a demand, always will be. If they were our children we wouldn't be so harsh

Kiriwawa Mon 12-Aug-13 17:57:13

I didn't think they'd been convicted :hmm:

TabithaStephens Mon 12-Aug-13 17:58:49

Stupid girls. They have ruined their lives and for what?

burberryqueen Mon 12-Aug-13 17:59:35

maybe they didn't do it

summerbreezer Mon 12-Aug-13 18:00:00

Don't know about this case, but a lot of people (particularly in the developing world) are coerced into smuggling drugs. They do it for minimal pay in return for the drug barons protecting their family.

Sentences for 'drugs mules' in the UK used to be extremely harsh - comfortably into double figures.

Last year, the policy was changed. The government recognising that the smugglers are usually bottom of the chain. I think this was a good move.

Unbelievably stupid
Vulnerable implies to me that there was an element of ignorance and naivety about them ... I don't buy it

GoodTouchBadTouch Mon 12-Aug-13 18:05:53

Fucking hell. Of course I feel sorry for them. Ive done some stupid things. I can imagine how they thought it was worth the risk.

I think its a huge price to pay, completely OTT.

Mind you Im all for legalising drugs.

Whothefuckfarted Mon 12-Aug-13 18:08:03

Who's to say they weren't forced into doing it?

happygirl87 Mon 12-Aug-13 18:11:17

Don't know about these girls, but the number of drug smugglers who are coerced is shockingly high, and often they are told their children or other family will be harmed if they don't do it. It can be really dangerous too, if a condom full of cocaine bursts inside you you will die, so they are risking their own lives to try to protect their children. So to say you don't feel sympathy for any drug smuggling women, YABU.

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Mon 12-Aug-13 18:13:47

IF they did it then yes silly buggers, if not then heaven help them. Surely everyone knows this kind of shit is seriously NOT worth the risk, especially in a foreign country.

Tailtwister Mon 12-Aug-13 18:13:57

Stupid and greedy? Definitely.

Do I have sympathy for them? Yes. Their lives are effectively over before they've even started.

TabithaStephens Mon 12-Aug-13 18:14:32

Neither of these girls had children, they were working in Ibiza, their families are back in Britain. The drugs were in their cases, not in condoms inside them.

TabithaStephens Mon 12-Aug-13 18:15:28

How much money is worth risking spending 25 years of your life in a South American prison for?

WorraLiberty England Mon 12-Aug-13 18:16:00

I think I'll save my sympathy for the addicts...not those who make a nice little living causing death and misery.

pigletmania Mon 12-Aug-13 18:30:04

Yanbu at all, they are adults, they knew the consequences

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now